6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2010 11:56 AM by Mark233

Editing video from HD PVR with Premiere Elements 9

Mark233

I have a Hauppage HD PVR with which I record footage from my Xbox 360. I'm pretty sure my TV isnt HD, so when the video comes back to my computer, I don't think its in HD either, but still very good quality. When I playback this footage from my PVR, it looks great, quality is near perfect. However, when I import this video on to Premiere Elements 9 for editing, it is very low quality and blurry. I've tried changing it to "AVCHD" and "H264 AVI" using a media converter, but it is still nowhere near the quality I get when I play back the raw footage from my PVR using Windows Media Player..

When I click on the files for info in My Videos folder, it says they are MP4, but I heard something about the Hauppage Recording in .m2ts or something?

I'm really new to this sort of stuff, so if someone could help me with this it would be really appreciated. I'd be more than happy to provide more information if it is needed, just let me know. Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Editing video from HD PVR with Premiere Elements 9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

According to the product's spec page, you must capture your video as 1080i60 in order for it to work with it in Premiere Elements.

Unfortunately the spec page doesn't say whether it's 1920x1080 or 1440x1080, so you're goingto have to experiment with your project presets. When you start up a project, select one of the AVCHD project presets. If it doesn't work, try another.

The indicator that you've selected the right project settings is that, when you put the clips on your timeline, there will be no red lines above them.

As long as you get a red line above your clips, you're going to get compromised quality. When you see no red lines above your clips, you are editing the file natively.

But that recommendation is based entirely on the product's spec page, not on my real life experience. If the product saves your files as H.264 MP4s but they are not NOT true AVCHD, you may have to live with some compromising.

• 2. Re: Editing video from HD PVR with Premiere Elements 9
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

There is also a rather long thread on using a Hauppage card, and some of the problems involved. I'd do a Search of this forum for "Hauppage," and that thread will come up. Take a read, as it might save some work, and give you warnings about things to look out for.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Editing video from HD PVR with Premiere Elements 9
              Mark233 Level 1

I'm pretty sure it doesn't record 1080i, I've heard that from a few sources actually.

I've tried all the settings in AVDHD project presets, and I still don't feel that I'm getting the same quality.

I found a way to save in .m2ts, and the quality of that is a little better when I save and view on a Media Player, but still nowhere near what my original .m2ts file looks like.

Does this open any new doors? I really appreciate you guys responding so far, and I'll look at the thing you told me to look at, Bill.

• 4. Re: Editing video from HD PVR with Premiere Elements 9
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I feel that it is unlikely that the Hauppage will record/Export to AVCHD. That is a camera format, and though uses the H.264 CODEC, is not really AVCHD, which is a very particular sub-set of H.264.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Editing video from HD PVR with Premiere Elements 9
                  Mark233 Level 1

What exactly do you mean by this? I'm rather new to this stuff.

• 6. Re: Editing video from HD PVR with Premiere Elements 9
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, the "building blocks" of AV files is the CODEC used. This ARTICLE will give you some background and some definitions.

In the case of the h.264 CODEC, it is used in several formats, including AVCHD. All AVCHD is H.264 by definition, but not all H.264 is AVCHD, which is quite specific. Many are wrapped into other formats, and are not AVCHD.

Hope that, plus the article, will help.

Good luck,

Hunt