3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2010 8:51 AM by the_wine_snob

Codec needed?

AlpineSeeker

Hello there,

I am new to the Adobe Premeir Elements world and after having some luck editing a video

for my sister I have come across a problem. I am using Premier Elements 8 and have gotten

the video editing done and am working on the audio, and after much frustration, decided to

record the audio to a digital recorder and edit it with my Sony software program. After getting

the audio the way I wanted, I tried to import it back into Premier Elements first as a .WAV

file and then as a .AIF file and I keep getting a "Generic Failure" message that says

"this type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed"  Do I need to install

a codec to use these types of files?  I thought that Premier Elements would already have these

installed, being that they are a standard format. Ant information would be greatly appreciated

to help me finish this long and frustrating journey. Thanks so much. Take care.

Ross

• 1. Re: Codec needed?
          nealeh Level 5
          • Install the latest video and audio drivers from the manufacturers's web site and update QuickTime to 7.6.9.
          • From your Sony program export your audio to WAV 48KHz 16-bit. That should work in PRE. If it doesn't then there is a more fundamental problem we shall have to track down.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Codec needed?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

WAVs are your best choice for audio.

But some audio files have copy protection built into them or other software that keeps them from being used in an editing project.

Where did this WAV come from or what program did you use to create it?

• 3. Re: Codec needed?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ross,

Welcome to the forum.

From the Sony software, do a Save/Export to PCM/WAV (not LPCM, as the Linear can cause problems with Adobe software), at 48KHz 16-bit, and those should Import and edit just fine, as Steve says. Do not use WMA, or any other format.

If this still does not work, and it really should with PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, just download and install the great, free audio-editor, Audacity. Open your Sony file in it, and just do a Save_As PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit. Then, Import THAT file.

Good luck,

Hunt