4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2010 10:33 AM by meldcreative

Camera Raw/CS4/DNG/Nikon D3100 HELP

meldcreative

From perusing the forum here I can see this is a common, and confusing issue. I would appreciate if anyone could help me out with what my options are. I understand the new version of Camera Raw that comes with CS5 supports the Nikon D3100 however upgrading is not an option right now.

I downloaded and successfully installed the DNG converter, separately trying both versions 5.7 and  6.3.0.79 but using Adobe Photo Downloader through Bridge CS4 to import and convert the pictures the conversion fails with both 5.7 and 6.3. When I open the DNG converter from the Applications folder and try to convert the files that way, the NEF files I want to convert are greyed-out and unavailable to convert, again with either version.

Here are the versions of what I am using:

Mac OS X

Adobe Creative Suite CS4

Camera Raw 5.7.0.213

DNG Converter 6.3.0.79 OR 5.7, I tried them separately.

Nikon D3100

Any suggestions as to what I am missing here is greatly appreciated. I am by no means a professional photographer but would at least like the option of shooting RAW images and using Adobe products to process them.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Camera Raw/CS4/DNG/Nikon D3100 HELP
          Level 4

You want to use version 6.3 of the DNG Converter.  Always use the latest version, as there are always unannounced bug fixes and improvements in each new release.

meldcreative wrote:

…When I open the DNG converter from the Applications folder and try to convert the files that way, the NEF files I want to convert are greyed-out and unavailable to convert, again with either version…

The Mac version works on whole folders, not individual files.  You need to target the folder containing the files, not the individual files.

Alternatively, you can drag the icons of the files i the Finder to the DNG Converter's icon in the Dock.

• 2. Re: Camera Raw/CS4/DNG/Nikon D3100 HELP
            Level 4

You're going to have to use the DNG Converter independently of the Photo Downloader in Bridge, as there's no way of updating the DNG conversion there.  You can still use the Downloader to get the images from your card reader, you'll just have to do the DNG conversion separately after you've downloaded the images.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Camera Raw/CS4/DNG/Nikon D3100 HELP
              meldcreative Level 1

Thankyou so much for the quick reply, it totally was working and was just me targeting the files instead of the folder. I really appreciate it the help.

• 4. Re: Camera Raw/CS4/DNG/Nikon D3100 HELP
                meldcreative Level 1

Thanks also for the tip about the photo downloader, I won't try to convert here anymore either.