5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2010 6:20 PM by SuperOperater

Importing Flash to Pr CS5  which way is best?

mentlity Level 1

I did look around the web for this, there is a tute that exists in adobe.tv but there must be alot of people on the site as it does not load. I checked the forum and I see a few different ways to do this so I want to know the differences (quality) or it does not matter.

Real simple, I have to drop a flash swf, flv or converted to Quicktime into a Premiere project. It's a 20 second loop of an animation . I read I can convert the fla to flv a drop that, convert the swf in a third party plug in and drop that, convert to .mov and drop that. Can someone let me know which is the way to go here?

thx

RD

• 1. Re: Importing Flash to Pr CS5  which way is best?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

From a theoretical standpoint, the best option is to always use the original, unconverted file.

But having never tried to import any kind of Flash file, I can't say how well that would work.

• 2. Re: Importing Flash to Pr CS5  which way is best?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I use FLV's occasionally, and other than the small Frame Size of most, and the quality hit that is then taken, have no issues. Remember, that if FLV.

I am still on an older version of PrPro, and use the Moyea FLV Importer for PrPro. That worked up to CS4. Moyea is working on a an updated version, BUT, as of CS4.2.1, IIRC, FLV direct Import has been supported. I believe that I am correct that CS5 has direct FLV Import.

Moyea also offers other Flash-related products, but I do not have any experience with them, so cannot comment.

I agree with Jim, about going to the source, but in many of my cases, that has not been possible, or at least the clients tell me that. I then just work with the FLV's and live with the results. Actually, if those FLV's are near the Frame Size of the Project, the FLV's are no worse than "stuff" ripped/Imported from DVD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Importing Flash to Pr CS5  which way is best?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Premiere Pro CS5 imports FLV and F4V files without the need for any third-party software. These are the video formats that are native to Flash Player.

Premiere Pro CS5 can also import SWF files. These are the bundles of vector graphics and code that play in Flash Player. Because Premiere Pro doesn't deal with either vector graphics or ActionScript code, importing a SWF file is often frustrating to folks who expect more of the SWF file's functionality to come through.

Premiere Pro knows nothing about FLA files.

• 4. Re: Importing Flash to Pr CS5  which way is best?
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Premiere Pro CS5 can also import SWF files. These are the bundles of vector graphics and code that play in Flash Player. Because Premiere Pro doesn't deal with either vector graphics or ActionScript code, importing a SWF file is often frustrating to folks who expect more of the SWF file's functionality to come through.

Todd,

Thank you for that clarification, and the info. That updates my knowledge of FLV and SWF files in CS5.

Appreciated, and Happy New Year,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Importing Flash to Pr CS5  which way is best?
                  SuperOperater

I can tell you what I remember doing about 5 - 6 years ago, when I needed flash animation combined and edited for the TV-show I was working on....

I remember that I used flash file, loaded it into FLASH APPLICATION (then it wasn't ADOBE's yet, but I had it any way - now it is even easier) , and from within the FLASH APP timeline I  exported it as "movie"...

I remember it had that option --- It wasn't right under FILE-EXPORT path. but somewhere, under some tab further to the right (according to my memories)....

And I remember at that time it was the best quality of that flash file that I could've got for working with it in Premiere and editing it together with video...

Just to point it out - it was the time of DV and DVcam - and that was the Format in which I exported my flash files into and also my camera footage was DVcam as well....

So, if you have the entire CS5 package, try to import flash into ADOBE FLASH and export it as video from there.... Although, it is probably possible to place it on Premiere Timeline as native flash today, maybe it still gives some different (better) quality result or gives you extra options when turning the flash into video file!!!

Just a hint!

Happy new year and all the best to you!