10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2011 12:24 PM by KlausKi

Keyboard combinations don't work

KlausKi Level 1

I'm currently reading through the Premiere Pro documentation... In that documentation there are keyboard combinations mentioned to speed up the usage of Premiere Pro.

But none of them seem to work (I'm using a German version of Premiere Pro).

Well, for what it's worth, switching focus from one panel to the next using <CTRL>+<SHIFT>+<"<"> or <CTRL>+<SHIFT>+<">"> won't work on a German keyboard anyway, because < and > are both located on the same key.

Do I need to enable keyboard combinations somehow to get the predefined keyboard combinations to work? I've already set my own keyboard combinations for cut/copy/paste, but I thought those predefined keyboard combinations are automatically available, aren't they?

• 1. Re: Keyboard combinations don't work
          Jon-M-Spear Level 4

It may be that you are confused...

<CTRL> are not 3 keys, but 1.

The < > symbols are used in some manuals to indicate the use of whatever key is enclosed within them.  Therefore <CTRL> + <SHIFT>  indicates that you press the CTRL and SHIFT keys simultaneously.

Toggling between panela is CTRL + SHIFT + > or <

• 2. Re: Keyboard combinations don't work
            KlausKi Level 1

Well, I usually am , but no no, not this time... See here for reference...

Actually I'm pressing these three keys simultaneously. I usually know how to do that... But this time, nothing happens.

The fun part with this keyboard combination is, that it's impossible on a German keyboard to press CTRL + SHIFT + <, because < and > are on the same key, so you can only yield CTRL + SHIFT + >, but never the other one

• 3. Re: Keyboard combinations don't work
              Jon-M-Spear Level 4

I still don't quite understand the problem.  You do not have to press the <  and > keys at the same time, so the fact that they are on the same physical key shouldn't an issue.  You can press either the < or > keys.

What happens when you do press ther CTRL + SHIFT + < or > key?

Or am I being REALLY stupid?

Of course, you can always customise the keyboard to a combination that works for you.

• 4. Re: Keyboard combinations don't work
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The keyboard shortcuts in the German documentation should be localized so that they give the correct shortcuts for a German keyboard. I see that you gave a link to the English-language documentation. Are you using the German-language application with a German keyboard? The English-language application with a German keyboard?

• 5. Re: Keyboard combinations don't work
                  KlausKi Level 1

Here's a picture of a German keyboard:

ah8y7qux.PNG

You see, it not possible to use the < key with that keyboard combination. You will ever reach the > key.

For the English manual: I have edited the URL of the help page so that the English version comes up. The original URL was this.

• 6. Re: Keyboard combinations don't work
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I would not be at all surprised if there is an error in the German version of the documentation. The shortcuts _should_ be localized so that you can use them on a German keyboard. Look in the in-application listing of keyboard shortcuts by choosing Edit > Keyboard Customization (Bearbeiten > Tastaturanpassung). Does this give you different and usable shortcuts?

• 7. Re: Keyboard combinations don't work
                      KlausKi Level 1

I've already been looking there. But I don't know where to find these particular keyboard combinations.

It's nowhere in the Application or the Window section - well, as far as I can see yet...

• 8. Re: Keyboard combinations don't work
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Huh. This is annoying. Thanks for calling it out. I can't find these in the Keyboard Customization dialog box, either.

Try Ctrl+Shift+. (period) and Ctrl+Shift+, (comma) on your German keyboard. The < and > symbols are the shifted characters for , and . on the US standard English keyboard.

• 9. Re: Keyboard combinations don't work
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Just a thought here, and maybe not of any application, but some users have had issues, where the OS language, the keyboard language, and the program language did not match.

I am assuming that the OP has a perfect match in language, across all three points.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Keyboard combinations don't work
                            KlausKi Level 1

Thanks, Todd, for trying to help this far!

Unfortunately the keyboard combinations you've mentioned don't do the trick, either.

It looks like there may be some review required by the German QA team.

Perhaps there is some user here in the forum using the German version, knowing the functioning keyboard combination?

But anyway, this is not a major issue yet. After five days of using Premiere Pro I'm not that acquainted to Premiere Pro yet to be able to speed up my work using keyboard combinations.

Best regards!