4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2011 7:55 AM by John T Smith

Can I delete big 7z files for Pre8 and Photoshop8?

michaeljrothfeld

I am trying to clear some space on my hard drive and found (in the "My Documents" folder for some reason ) three 7z files that altogether take up more than 6GB of space. For example, PremiereElements_8_Content_WWEFDJ.7z

These appear along with the extractors, which aren't big.

Question is, if I delete these files will it affect the programs and how?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Can I delete big 7z files for Pre8 and Photoshop8?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It appears you downloaded the software, instead of buying a disc... is that true?

If yes, write the files to a CD and keep it safe... and write a file with your serial number(s) to the same CD so you will be able to reinstall in case of a hard disk problem

In fact, while your computer is working, you should also make a backup of your hard drive

Hardware crashes or virus infections happen, so you should buy software to make a full backup of your hard drive to an external USB hard drive... which makes restoring very easy to a new drive in the same computer, or to the same drive in case of corruption

The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive and not have to re-install anything

Please note that I own no part of Image, and I don't get a referral fee (that is just a plain web link) but I use the program and it has saved me a LOT of trouble when I had a hard drive die... and I was able to restore everything and not have to re-install or re-activate a single program, from Windows on up

• 2. Re: Can I delete big 7z files for Pre8 and Photoshop8?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with John T. Those are the downloaded files, and should not be needed - unless something happens. As things have a way of "happening," having those files handy on a CD (the suggestion for S/N's in a text file is great too), could really help you out after some tragic accident with the computer.

Just like the installation media and the case that they come in, those files are your lifeline. They may be up on Adobe's site today, but this time next year, they may be gone forever. Hold those files dear, but just not on your machine. You'd be surprised at the number of people, who "loose" their media discs for a $6000 suite of Adobe programs!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Can I delete big 7z files for Pre8 and Photoshop8?
              michaeljrothfeld Level 1

Thanks guys! I think I did dowload the programs but I ordered the backup discs, so seems like I can delete these files and

will be okay!

Best,

Michael

• 4. Re: Can I delete big 7z files for Pre8 and Photoshop8?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As long as you have install discs (CD or DVD) in a safe place, you are OK to delete the download

But... do buy and USE some kind of backup software, such as what I linked to before

1 person found this helpful