8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2011 10:45 PM by Daxman1965

Question about PPBM5

MikeRacine2

Hello Harm,

I ran PPBM5 last week on my new workstation and sent in my results.  I noticed in the instructions that the Project Settings should have the scratch disks set to the same location as the project file.  When I built my workstation, I setup a RAID3 array for my project files and a RAID0 array for the scratch disks.  Is there any reason to try and run the benchmark in manner that reflects this editing arrangement?  Is it even possible?

Thanks.

Mike

• 1. Re: Question about PPBM5
          MikeRacine2 Level 1

PS - Happy New Year!

• 2. Re: Question about PPBM5
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Mike, we had to limit the options and flexibility to keep our data handling to a comfortable minimum.  I am constantly falling behind on getting the data entered and passed on to Harm who does all the final web prepartion to make all the links on the pages work and adds the many new pages for different looks at displaying the data in different views.  If my count is right we have 8 pages that have to be updated each time we enter new data.  Each week it takes me several hours to enter and verify the data and then many more hours feedback constructive information to users or get the data correctly.  I just reviewed your data (205 seconds total) and you did a good job of building the computer.  For a system that is not overclocked with an i7-980X, it looks like you are in second place.  You have done that despite the handicap of upgrading to 5.0.3 which it appears slows down the disk intensive AVI encoding.  I will know more soon when I roll back to 5.0.2.  It seems to have added several seconds on the benchmark.  If your caching is just the stuff that would normally go to the C: drive then it would not make any difference for the benchmark as the caching is primarily used when you export directly from Premiere.  All our encoding is done directly from AME and avoids that step

Happy New Year to all!

Bill.

• 3. Re: Question about PPBM5
              MikeRacine2 Level 1

Bill - Thanks so much for a very thoughtful reply.    I really appreciate the help that you and Harm provide to the community.

Cheers and Happy New Year.

Mike

• 4. Re: Question about PPBM5
                Daxman1965 Level 1

I second Mike, Thanks to Bill and Harm we have a great way to test our machines. How would I be able to roll back to 5.02 as I have just finished the new machine and updated to 5.03.

happy new year to all

Darren

• 5. Re: Question about PPBM5

Well rolling back is not really as easy as it sounds unless you established a restore point with 5.0.2 before you upgraded to 5.0.3, now who of us would ever have the foresight to do anything like that???

What I plan to do today is:

1. Deactivate CS5
                  2. Uninstall Premiere only.
                  3. Reinstall Premiere from the disks. Ending up with 5.0.0.
                  4. Upgrade to 5.0.2 
                  5. Reactivate CS5

I just checked and from Windows 7 Control Panel If you clisk on Uninstall in Programs and Features it brings up a Adobe Menu where you can deselect all the other CS5 packages you might have if you have one of the CS5 Suites.

I plan on doing this today and by tomorrow we will see if my current theory is correct.  I will come back to this forum and report what I find.  I would suggest you wait to see if indeed it is worth the effort.

• 6. Re: Question about PPBM5
                    Daxman1965 Level 1

Hi Bill,

thanks and I will wait, I am running 159 total time so maybe I should just run with that.

regards

Darren

• 7. Re: Question about PPBM5

Running my i7-980X at a "conservative" speed of 4.2 GHz with an 8 disk drive RAID 0 project disk using Premiere 5.0.3 my PPBM5 disk intesive AVI encoding test was an average of 83.3 seconds for 6 runs.  After backtracking to Premiere 5.0.2 as described above I could tell after the first run that my theory was correct.  The average time for three runs with 5.0.2 was 67 seconds.  So upgrading to Premiere 5.0.3 will increase your score by about a 10 % penalty over your AVI encoding score over running it on Premiere 5.0.2  None of the other tests were affected.  Remember when looking at the PPBM Results page the penalty incurred when the benchmark is run with version 5.0.3 and you compare it with 5.0.2 results

P.S.

1. Be careful you may need some of the new features of 5.0.3, I do not think any were of value to me--time will tell
                      2. Do not forget to reupdate your Adobe cuda file if you hacked it for your graphics card if you decide to roll back to 5.0.2
                      • 8. Re: Question about PPBM5
                        Daxman1965 Level 1

Hi Bill,

thanks, I will give it a try.

regards

Darren