1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 1, 2011 8:31 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements is trying to open an entirely different program!!?!?!

srvblooze

I installed Elements and when I try to open it, it crashes almost immediately. I can get to the "welcome" screen but when I click on "new project" I can see that it it tries to open an entirely different and unrelated program called Amplitube X-Gear (this is a program by IK Multimedia and is made for guitarists). How the hell is this happening and what can I do to get Elements to stop trying to open something it has no business trying to open?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements is trying to open an entirely different program!!?!?!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I would anticipate that this other program has seized the File Association for some of the file types, that are normally associated with PrE. File Associations can be adjusted from Control Panel>Folder Options>File Type (or similar syntax, depending on one's OS) in Windows.

Many programs, upon installation will go into the File Associations section and just set all possible file types to point to it. Apple's QT Player used to be bad at this, and Real Player still seems to do the same. I always do a custom install of any program, and will only let them associate with executables, and not media file types, unless they use a proprietary file type for their output, or for their sessions/Projects.

What OS are you using?

Happy New Year and welcome to the forum,

Hunt