3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2011 11:48 AM by the_wine_snob

Help!  Elements Media Import flipped the aspect ratio of my file!

Daytona John Level 1

Sorry for the likely dumb question, but I'm having a problem which in my mind should be an easy fix.  I recorded some iPhone 4 video in horizontal wide screen mode.  When I look at it in Explorer, that's the way it shows up.  However when I "get media" it imports the media file in a verticle aspect ratio.  How to I force Elements to flip it back horizontal?

• 1. Re: Help!  Elements Media Import flipped the aspect ratio of my file!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

PrE is probably missing the Aspect Ratio (and maybe the Pixel Aspect Ratio, as well), in that footage.

I'd look at Interpret Footage, to see if you could "force" PrE to see that footage, as you intend.

If that does not work, look into applying the fixed Effect>Rotation, to see if you can "fix" it. This would be done by first Selecting the Clip in the Timeline, and then going to Effects>Edit Effects, which will open up the Effects Control Panel. There, you will see several fixed (automatically available in all Video Clips) Effects, like Motion>Position, Motion>Scale, etc., including Rotation, and Volume, if one has any muxed Audio.

Good luck, and please let us know if either one of those works in your case.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Help!  Elements Media Import flipped the aspect ratio of my file!
            Daytona John Level 1

Well, thanks for taking the time to try and answer this.  Honestly, I was thoroughly confused.  But when I got in timeline mode, I right clicked the clip and found options to rotate 90 degrees left and right....exactly what I needed!

• 3. Re: Help!  Elements Media Import flipped the aspect ratio of my file!
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and glad that fixed things for you.

I see similar with still images, where the actual image was shot vertically, but then through EXIF data, instructions are given to many programs, to Rotate. Often, and NLE (Non Linear Editor) will miss those instructions, though some other programs see and apply them.

With the various, new recording devices, I think that we'll likely see similar with Video, where some instructions might get missed.

Thanks for reporting, and happy editing,

Hunt