15 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2011 12:27 PM by James Hooey

Mercury Playback shows frozen frame or images below

James Hooey

Don't know how or why this has suddenly happened. Mercury playback was perfectly fine last night...smooth, no issues. It has been since first installing CS5 and upgrading hardware. But today, for no reason Mercury playback will not work. Video will play for a few seconds fine when first opening a project but then will freeze on a frame of video and nothing will enable Mercury playback to work again short of restarting Premiere (which again only works for a few seconds).

My computer is:

2.7ghz quad core AMD

16 gig ram

GTX285 video card

3 7200rpm drives (OS/Premier on one, captured video on second, scratch disk on third)

If I turn off Mercury playback the video will refresh and play fine (slow framerates on effects/multi layers of course), but re-enabling Mercury still presents this frozen video.

I thought there may be some issue with video drivers so I updated to nVidia 260.99 drivers today but no difference.

What was working fine for the past two months is now suddenly non functioning? WTH?

The only new variable to this project I was working on compared to others is that I sent the audio tracks over to Soundbooth for some normalizing of the audio. This worked fine last night and caused no problems during the entire session.  Today, turn on the computer and I am presented with this brand new glitch that seems to have no discernable cause.

I have also tried other projects that worked fine before and they also suffer this same problem with Mercury playback....frozen video or no video (preview window will often shown other screen elements below it as the project opens like the desktop or other applications).

I don't know what else to say? I don't want to unistall/re-install if I can help it because I don't even know if that would solve the problem.

I'm pissed, I'm dissapointed and just plain pissed (did I say that already?)

It's like Mercury playback is no longer talking to my video card properly...but I have done absolutely nothing I can think of that would have changed that.

HELP!!!!!

James Hooey

http://soundprostudios.com

• 1. Re: Mercury Playback shows frozen frame or images below
          Jim_Simon Level 8

The only thing I can think of would be to uninstall the graphics driver, then upon reboot let Windows "find" the new hardware.  If that doesn't resolve the issue, then reinstall the nVidia driver manually.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mercury Playback shows frozen frame or images below
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Have you defragmented your disk drives and how full are they?

• 3. Re: Mercury Playback shows frozen frame or images below
              Powered by Design Level 4

check and see if windows did an update when you weren't looking.

as a test start a new project and import something and see if a fresh project will work.  maybe a corrupted project.

something not right of course.

Glenn

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Mercury Playback shows frozen frame or images below
                James Hooey Level 1

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Just to follow up the thread I'll reply to some of the suggestions...

Hard drive space over 500gig on the capture hard drive, only 11 gig on the OS drive, another 250 on the scratch disk....all have been defragged about 3 weeks ago and operate smoothly. I would like more space on the OS drive though.

Updated nVidia drivers manually before posting, did not solve the problem.

Tried Mercury playback with two other projects that were previously fine...they exhibited the same frozen playback.  Didn't try new, probably should. As for updates I turn them off and only do manual (which I hadn't in this case), I never trust automatic updates, windows, quicktime, Adobe or otherwise.

Now for the kicker....Mercury playback is working fine again!?  I finished up my project using software rendering so that the video worked for playback on the timeline and then rendered it out exporting to the AME. 11 hours later (it was a 56 minute long project rendered to .flv) the project was rendered complete, nice file size and then I started checking Premiere again....clicked the switch for Mercury playback and so far it is rolling fine...issue has dissapeared.

So I am totally stumped.  I'm nervous that this might rear it's head again but for the time being it's working which is a good thing.

Thanks again,

James Hooey

http://www.soundprostudios.com

• 5. Re: Mercury Playback shows frozen frame or images below
                  James Hooey Level 1

Think this is the problem....after further fooling around.  Restart

ing Premiere and loading the project that first exhibited the loss of Mercury playback resulted i

n the problem showing up again....another restart of Premiere with an earlier good project and the problem goes away...

So for that project the workflow was....screen capture in Camtasia to their camrec codec, render out as quicktime photoJPEG mov and then bring in to Premiere for titles, audio correction, music, ect.  Somewhere along the line and I am suspecting Camtasia, there is a problem with how it is capturing or rendering out the video...

Not sure how I will approach the next screen capture session but we'll see how it goes.

All the best,

James Hooey

• 6. Re: Mercury Playback shows frozen frame or images below
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

>  As for updates I turn them off and only do manual (which I hadn't in this case), I never trust automatic updates, windows, quicktime, Adobe or otherwise.

The Premiere Pro CS5 updates have been very important updates. They've added a lot of capabilites and fixed a lot of problems. If you haven't installed them, I very strongly recommend that you do so. Here's a post about the most recent update.

• 7. Re: Mercury Playback shows frozen frame or images below

James Hooey wrote:

only 11 gig on the OS drive.

That is a very bad sign.

1. I know you have a cache drive but do you have any old Premiere cache on your OS drive where it is by default? 
                      2. Is your paging on the OS drive that you could move it to another drive? 
                      3. Have you turned off hibernation and recovered that disk space?
                      • 8. Re: Mercury Playback shows frozen frame or images below
                        James Hooey Level 1

Todd....sorry, my intent was not that I hadn't updated. I am currently running Premiere 5.03 or whatever the latest update is...just merely that I never allow automatic updates until I hear a little feedback about how they are working for people...I don't like surprises when it comes to my edit system.

• 9. Re: Mercury Playback shows frozen frame or images below
                          James Hooey Level 1

Bill,

I have cleared any old Adobe caches from my OS drive relatively recently although I should check again just to be sure.

Hibernation is off...disabled from the intial OS install.

I totally know what you are saying here Bill...I do not like my current lack of free space particularly for the OS but anywhere...when I first put Vista64 I had to make a dual boot to keep XP around for a 8 channel audio card.  I  may in future wipe clean the OS and just go Win7 but cannot for some time yet.

Out of curiousity though, what would be the thinking of this being a cause of the Mercury playback flaking out on the project?  Again, it was working fine and dandy and then suddenly, issues.

btw if it was skipped over earlier in this thread, I have had Mercury playback functioning again with other projects after closeing and restarting Premiere....so it seems like the video files in that particular project were causing the issue.

Thanks for everyones help so far!

James

• 10. Re: Mercury Playback shows frozen frame or images below
                            Andre EX2

Hello my friend! im having the same problem with the frozen video!  My issue is when the i use an after effects comp the image freezes until it reaches a "simpler" frame.  Also my transitions seem to lag.  Ive tried everything, bt adobe support is currently helping with the issue. I had the 9800 gtx and I had no issue.  Now i have an approved GTX 470 SC+, and im just now starting to have those issues.  Its probably something simple we will figure it out.  Plus you said you have the GTX 285, is that a compatible card for the playback engine?  Or do you have a hacked card?  if it is hacked and you did an update you may need to unlock it again!

My Build

MSI NF750-G55

Phenom II AMD Quad core 3.2 stock

G. skill 1333 DDR3 8gb

EVGA GTX 470 SC+

850 Kingwin PSU

WD 500gb/ WD 750gb Raid 0

We will find the problem, my friend!

• 11. Re: Mercury Playback shows frozen frame or images below
                              James Hooey Level 1

Andre,

Yes the GTX 285 is a compatible card...it was essentially the first consumer class card that was validated to work with Adobe's Mercury engine.  It has so far performed quite well.

You problem sounds a little different than what I was experiencing.  For you it seems that your preview slows or stops for certain sections within your project depending on complexity or possibly dynamic linking of a AE project? For me playback view totally froze and could not be returned regardless of attempts to get it going again short of switching to software (non-mercury) playback mode.

For me the solution seems to lie in that the video assets in use in that project may be corrupted or problematic as since then I have had no issues with other projects using different media. Maybe this is a part solution for you too, checking to see if playback works smoothly with other projects/media other than in your current problem project. It's at least something to rule out. I don't know WHY my assets in my particular problem project are creating the issue but it certainly seems tied to them fwiw.

Your computer system sounds similar to mine and I think is up to the task of Mercury playback.

Hopefully Adobe will be able to tech help you through this and get you going.

All the best,

James Hooey

• 12. Re: Mercury Playback shows frozen frame or images below
                                tryptych Level 1

Hi all,
                                It seems I am having the same problem.
                                All my footage is uncompressed SD footage apart from a few QT titles with alpha.
                                The odd thing is I have earlier sequences within the same project filie that run perfectly fine, but the main one with all the edits runs like a complete dog.

I am running dual Xeon 3.6Ghz, 16Gb RAM and a Quadro FX4800 so it should be all well within spec.
                                Hard drives are RAID0 VR drives and all scratch disks have plenty of space.
                                Running CS5 with all the latest Adobe and NVidia drivers.

I am certain it is something within the sequence, rather than hardware, but I have no idea what.

My only thought was something to do with the preview format as the others all had IFrame on, but this one seemed to have changed to HDV, so I have switched it back. Could it also be possibly mixed media causing the problem?

Thanks

Rob

• 13. Re: Mercury Playback shows frozen frame or images below
                                  James Hooey Level 1

tryptych,

For whatever reason at the time my playback was acting flaky but as quickly as it appeared, it also corrected itself just as quickly. In retrospect I believe it may have been some video driver issues but have no solid confirmation about that, simply that it seemed to be the root of a few things that seemed odd at the time of my original posting.

I too was using some mixed media on my problem timeline with a mix of HDV, mp4 and quicktime files as well as premier titling. Since then I have various projects that have all behaved fine with this same sort of mix of media. On occasion I find during rendering a suspect video file may be an issue and sometimes I seem to have issues with sequences that include Magic Bullet Looks applied to various clips. The renders during these times may randomly fail. Playback however is generally fine (with MBL disabled - not mecury compliant).

Best advice I can give or at least what works for me is if I am ever in doubt of the media in my timeline, remove it from the project, save and then reopen the project and see if the playback becomes restored.

All the best,

James

• 14. Re: Mercury Playback shows frozen frame or images below

Has anyone run the PPBM5 (Premiere Pro BenchMark) to see how well your hardware /OS/Premiere is really set up?

• 15. Re: Mercury Playback shows frozen frame or images below
                                      James Hooey Level 1

Just ran it, now am trying to find out how to view and interpret results.