8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2011 9:10 AM by mentlity

Export Settings Question

mentlity Level 1

This is a bit tricky, I have a Powerpoint presentation along with an After Effects intro, an swf some jpgs along with an mp3 for narration. I need this to be in HD quality. After putting most of the file together I did a quick export to see what it would look like. Since I got various quality from different settings I decided to just take a small piece (3 minutes which has all the elements in it) and see which export setting looks best.

The best I could get was

MPEG2_ DVD

720 x 480

is this a good setting or can I do better?

I cannot find anything yet that explains as I have some tuts but they do not cover this area in detail.

Any help?

RD

• 1. Re: Export Settings Question
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It is not possible to MAKE something into HD quality unless your source files are HD

What you describe does not look like HD input, so you will not get HD output

And, by definition, a DVD output is not HD

Some reading...

Premiere Export Formats http://help.adobe.com/en_US/mediaencoder/cs/using/WS725e431141e7ba651e63e3d1267818bc51-800 0.html

CS5 Encore Files & Formats http://help.adobe.com/en_US/encore/cs/using/WS5C9E1CF8-B5BC-436f-89D3-61DDC02A2C47a.html

• 2. Re: Export Settings Question
            mentlity Level 1

WOw! An excellent point so with that explained then to

your knowledge what export settings would be the best for the elements I have in the project?

The final file is ment to be a video presentation for as close as I can get to HD.

I have the CS5 master Collection but what is the difference of using the export feature in Premiere or the CS5 Media Encoder?

rd

• 3. Re: Export Settings Question
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>video presentation for as close as I can get to HD

Write to DVD and use an upconverting DVD player

• 4. Re: Export Settings Question
                mentlity Level 1

Media Encoder and Premiere export features look the same, I exported for DVD and the final file looks a bit fuzzy. next question how should I play the file back as I'm on a Mac, playing back in Quicktime or VLC do not help.

rr

• 5. Re: Export Settings Question
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Make it into h.264 Blu-ray at 1920 x 1080 and burn a Blu-ray disc, use a Blu-ray player with a HDTV.

• 6. Re: Export Settings Question
                    mentlity Level 1

Thank you so much for helping out here, I have worked in Pr before for editing .mov files but this is the first time I had to combine a few different formats. My main concern and the bulk of the final project is the powerpoint presentation. I started experiementing by first looking at the ppt export options. You could export as a quicktime.mov or as pictures. First I exported as quicktime just to have a look, the file was huge almost 3gigs but then I figured I could also export the ppt as pictures so first I exported jpgs and then started tinkering with the PR export to get it as clear as possible. The clearest I got was

DV standard 48khz

now I just re exported the ppt as tiff files and that is clearer than the jpgs so I'm going to go with the tiff sequence and export as

h.264 Blu-ray at 1920 x 1080.

Let you know.

thx again

rd

• 7. Re: Export Settings Question
                      mentlity Level 1

OK, tried to export at

h.264 Blu-ray at 1920 x 1080.

this gave me a file that I could not play in Quicktime nor VLC as I'm on a mac so I exported at

h.264 Blu-ray at 720 x480

same problem so I cannot play mp4 on my mac so I exported as

MPEG2 _Blue ray

at 1920 x 1080

way too big for me to see looked a bit choppy

then I imported at

MPEG2 _blue ray

at 728 x 480

and this looks good.

Now please correct me if I'm wrong here

As mentioned the main part of this project is a powerpoint file, if converted the ppt to an.mov then imported that into Pr the ppt can only look as good as the source file imported correct?

So by me converting the ppt to a tiff image sequence it gives me a much better quality than an .mov would be so the highest quality to playback the ppt would be this method correct?

It seems the ppt file overlaps the Pr sequence window. If this were an .mov I would go to the source monitor, select effects and crop the viewing area. But  since these are image sequences is there a way to crop all the images at once instead of me doing each slide manually?

any help with this would do wonders for me now.

Ralph D.

• 8. Re: Export Settings Question
                        mentlity Level 1

I figured this out, it's obvious that the quality of the ppt would depend on the source files, all I need to do is to find the best export setting.

thzx for the help.

I have another question I will start a new discussion.

thx again

rd