12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2011 6:45 PM by the_wine_snob

Freezes in PE 9

tamzunc Level 1

I recently upgraded  to an HP PC with i7 chip, 8 GB RAM, 1TB data drive and 640 System drive.  In PE 9, I find that if I trim 6 to 8 clips or do some other number of operations, I often get a freeze.  Similar thing happens in Photoshop if I edit pictures.  I've learned to save frequently to avoid losingthings, but it's a pain to restart the program that often.   I thought things were supposed to get better.  It seems to me it has something to do with  operations filling up memory instead of going to contemplation.  Any thoughts on how to optimize here?

Thanks,

Jim

• 1. Re: Freezes in PE 9
          Tobenator1200

Hi Jim,

have you run a tool like memtest86 http://www.memtest86.com/download.html to make sure your PC is ok?  I know HP builds good workstations, but I'd start there nevertheless.

Regards,

Toby

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Freezes in PE 9
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

A lot also depends on the type of camcorder you're getting your video from and how you got it into your computer -- and which settings you selected when you set up your project.

I'm particularly concerned that you can't even get Photoshop Elements to work! That program is virtually bug-free!

So indications that are that it's likely either source material or your system configuration. (Especially if you're running  64-bit Windows.)

Do you do the regular maintenance I recommend in our FAQs?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=30

Even if your system is right off the shelf, it's likely in dire need of updating and maintenance.

• 3. Re: Freezes in PE 9
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Along with the suggestions of others, what are the pixel x pixel dimensions of your still images? This ARTICLE will give you a bit more background and tips for automating the Scaling in PSE, if you can get it running.

It sounds like a resource issue to me, and perhaps this ARTICLE will give you some tips. With Win7, be sure to look down-thread a bit, and see the link to Black Viper's Win7 tune-up tips.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Freezes in PE 9
                tamzunc Level 1

Thanks for the responses.  I did do the maintanence

tasks.  I installed memtest on a disk, but when I boot to it,

I get a screen that says:

Loading memtest .... ready ...

and just blinks.   It ran 30 minutes and didn't show any stats.

I look at the documentation, which is pretty sparse,  and couldn't figure what else to do.

My camcorder is Vixia tape based set to DV.

Any ideas on how to run memtest?

Thanks,  Jim

• 5. Re: Freezes in PE 9
                  tamzunc Level 1

Thanks for the article suggestion, and yes, the images I have are large, so I will study the article

and improve my work flow.  Ill also check out the Black viper tiips,

Jim

• 6. Re: Freezes in PE 9
                    Tobenator1200 Level 1

Hello Jim,

I apologize for providing the wrong link to memtest in my previous post.  Here's the correct one: http://www.memtest.org/.  With a new machine such as yours I suppose you'll need the v4.1.  The older versions may not start on newer chipsets.  Memtest should complete all tests without failure.  If it does, you can be reasonably sure your're chasing some software issue.

Toby

• 7. Re: Freezes in PE 9
                      tamzunc Level 1

Thanks,  I got the newer version of Memtest and everything checked out OK.   With all the tweaks, the number of freezes is much less.  Now I can enjoy some production.

Thanks again,

Jim

• 8. Re: Freezes in PE 9
                        tamzunc Level 1

Thanks,

I did check memtest and system was ok. Camcorder is Vixia HV39 with firewire capture.  Did the tweaks and while I may have had a freeze or two, they are much less and now I can enjoy creating videos a lot more.

Jim

• 9. Re: Freezes in PE 9
                          tamzunc Level 1

Bill,  Thanks for the lean/mean post and thread and the one on file size/workflow.

I'm sure things will be better when I master those.  One thing is that it takes time to get up to speed on how to use the forums.  It might seem  obvious to the initiated,  but for neophytes a sticky (right concept) on how to make the most of forums could be useful.  Maybe I'll draft one and send it to you.

Jim

• 10. Re: Freezes in PE 9
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, there are often questions on the forum. Even some of the old-timers need a refresher course, from time to time. Also, I learn something new about once per month, just on the workings of the forum, and I've actually been around, from back when there were no Internet fora, and just NNTP news reader feeds - shows my age!

Now, there is a special forum for Forum Comments, that is designed to discuss the fora specifically. However, for most "stuff" in this forum, ask any questions that you have, and someone will very likely jump up and answer the question(s). This is a very friendly, and laid-back group here, and everyone only wants to help.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Freezes in PE 9
                              tamzunc Level 1

Bill,  Thanks.  When I went on some fora on Camcorderinfo.com, there were some pretty snottyand discouraginganswers.  Your answers are helpful, respectful, and encouraging. 

Jim

• 12. Re: Freezes in PE 9
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

We try to be nothing but helpful and friendly here. All that most of us wish for is to help someone enjoy the editing experience, as much as we do.

I feel that when folk are rude, or curt, they are threatened in some way, and it then shows in their responses. Way back in my still photographer days, I taught Photoshop to my competitors through the ASMP chapter. Yes, they were my competitors, but all I cared about was improving the output from our ASMP community for all of our clients. There are few "secrets," so to share, is the best for all.

Hope that we have helped.

Good luck,

Hunt