4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2011 2:11 PM by the_wine_snob

Narration - sound in one earphone only

chwood11

Hello all,

Strange (and frustrating) audio problem, hoping someone can help.

When I import my pre-recorded monaural narration files (from files and folders), I can only hear it in one earphone, whether in the preview mode or in the rendered video. But, if I double-click on the file name in the media panel, which brings up a preview window, the audio is perfect in both ears when played there.  Also, if I create a new project, again import the pre-recorded narration in the standard manner (selected from files and folders), I properly hear it in both earphones. Very aggravating.

Could it be a settings situation in the project where it is not functioning properly?

I'm using PE 3 with XP.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Charles

• 1. Re: Narration - sound in one earphone only
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your narration was recorded with a monaural rather than stereo microphone.

As I say in my books, if you place these clips on your timeline and apply the Fill Left or Fill Right Audio Effects (whichever is needed), the audio will fill both the left and right stereo channel.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Narration - sound in one earphone only
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Charles,

Welcome to the forum.

Along with Steve's suggestion for Fill-Left, or Fill-Right, one can also duplicate that mono Clip, placing it on another mono Audio Track *. Then, they can go to Audio Mixer, and Pan one to the left, and the other to the right, to suit, to create a faux stereo. If necessary, one could even do the Pans Keyframed over time to move the signals across the stereo sound stage.

PrE does a mix-down to stereo (2-channel), with any output.

Good luck,

Hunt

* Note: PrE will ONLY place mono (1-channel) Clips onto mono Audio Tracks, stereo (2-channel) Clips onto a stereo Audio Track, and 5.1 (6-channel) Clips onto a 5.1 Audio Track. Remember, PrE will mix-down 6-channel Clips to stereo on output.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Narration - sound in one earphone only
              chwood11 Level 1

Thanks for the replies. I learned that Audacity had  a very simple conversion routine which I used.

Charles

• 4. Re: Narration - sound in one earphone only
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Charles,

Most of what Audacity provides does look easy. Actually, though free, Audacity is a great audio-editing program, and much more powerful, than it appears.

Glad that it worked well for you.

Good luck,

Hunt