3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2011 2:15 PM by Todd_Kopriva

can't import PP cs5 sequence to AAE

kaistoeckel

Hi guys,

my goal: to import a PP cs5 project to AAE cs5 or rather a sequence.

the problem: I go to "import" -> "import PP project" and select the pp file. After I choose which sequence to import nothing happens. I tried it with other projects, same thing.

Any ideas?

Thank you guys!

• 1. Re: can't import PP cs5 sequence to AAE
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Sorry, but I have to ask this question first because it seems that so many people misunderstand some things:

Why are you trying to import a Premiere Pro project into After Effects?

If you just want to work on a specific sequence, then using Dynamic Link or working on a movie rendered and exported from Premiere Pro usually makes more sense.See this page for the various ways to move things from Premiere Pro to After Effects (and vice versa).

The ability to import a Premiere Pro project into After Effects is an old feature that relies on converting things from Premiere Pro to their nearest After Effects equivalents, and that conversion is very far from perfect. (See this page for details.)

So, I'm not saying that you can't or shouldn't import a Premiere Pro project into After Effects. Just make sure that it's what you really want to be doing and that you've looked into the other features, which tend to work better for most things.

• 2. Re: can't import PP cs5 sequence to AAE
            kaistoeckel Level 1

Hey mate, thanks for the answer. Actually I would like to add text all over the video, kind of subtitles with a special effect. therefore i dont want to overlay the text scene by scene but rather work with the whole project. also i want to color correct the clips and add some special transitions.

What solution would you recommend? Working with certain clips in AAE wasn't the problem and is in my case not the acurate thing, what do you think?

Thanks

• 3. Re: can't import PP cs5 sequence to AAE
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you're done with the movie in Premiere Pro and want to do something to the entire movie in After Effects, then render and export out of Premiere Pro to create a single movie file, and bring that into After Effects.

If you're moving a movie from one piece of post-production software to another, you want to make sure that you don't use lossy compression to make the intermeduate movie; you don't want to lose any quality/informaiton in this intermediate step. There are lots of lossless codec choices; I use the PNG codec in a QuickTime container when transferring movies from After Effects to an NLE (or vice versa).

That said, it's often the case that you'll want to work on a piece of a movie at a time, sending a piece at a time over to After Effects. Using Dynamic Link from Premiere Pro to After Effects works really well for that. Maybe that's not what you want to do this time, but keep it in mind.