5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2011 11:51 AM by the_wine_snob

PE 8 - audio playback but video static

frustratedofwix

Last couple of times I have loaded video into PE8 and tried to play back the tracks I get the audio playing absolutely fine but the video remains static at what ever frame the scrubber is over. If the playback is in 'pause' and I move the scrubber the video moves on o.k.

These are completely new/unedited video clips. I am running PE8 under Windows 7 64 bit. Video card is a Radeon HD5450. Apple quicktime v.7.68.75.0.

I can import the files into Nero and they will run ok.

Any ideas on what may be causing the problem and a cure?

(Seems to me though  that every time there is an upgrade the application becomes a bigger pile of  **** ).

Happy New Year

Brian

• 1. Re: PE 8 - audio playback but video static
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Brian,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you give us the details of the video files?

This ARTICLE will give you some background, and also tips for gathering the info.

From the description, my first guess would be that those files use DivX, or Xvid, as the CODEC, but there could be other CODEC's, that would yield similar results.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE 8 - audio playback but video static
            frustratedofwix Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your response - I have read the article and will go through it.

I started PE8 today and this time the video and audio worked ok. I have experienced similar problem on this PC (which relatively new - that's why I had to upgrade to PE8 from PE7) with another project. Initially the video was static but after a PC re-boot it worked but even that didn't solve the problem yesterday. There are no problems running the avi files in other media applications just PE8. I even downloaded and re-installed the application yesterday to no avail. I have been using PE for years and have never experienced a problem like this.

Brian

• 3. Re: PE 8 - audio playback but video static
              nealeh Level 5

Work through these steps. Especially the Quicktime update.

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.9 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
              • Run Disk Cleanup.
              • Run Defragmenter.
              • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.
              • Use the GSpot Codec Information Utility to analyse the file and post screen image.
              • Post back here with the necessary information described here: Got a Problem? How to Get Started

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: PE 8 - audio playback but video static
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Remember, playing an AV file in a simple player, is greatly different than editing that same AV file, and playing the Timeline. The operations are highly different, and also a CODEC that can be used by a player, might not be able to be used by an NLE (Non Linear Editor). Also, some players, like VLC, contain many common CODEC's internally, and do not need to use any from the System. An editor, like PrE, will not have any internal CODEC's, but must use those on the system.

As for things working sometimes, but not others, I think that I'd go down Neale's list. Things should always work the same way, unless something has changed. Remember also, even a simple OS update/hot-fix, can render a video, or audio driver instantly obsolete. That is why the mfgrs. issue so many regular updates.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PE 8 - audio playback but video static
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You really need to reply with the information from GSPOT so someone may help

Saying AVI does not really mean much, you need to know the CODEC inside that file