2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2011 9:24 AM by the_wine_snob

Codec problems with .prel?

kimachold

I have a project that was half finished after 25 hours of blood sweat and tears. I saved it on an external harddisc and installed Win 7 64 instead of Win XP 32 bit.

Ive reinstalled Prem. Elements 7 but I keep getting the message,  This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed.

Has this something to do with the changeover to 64 bit? I have some older projects that still work, I think.

I hope that someone can help.

• 1. Re: Codec problems with .prel?
          nealeh Level 5

If you're getting this message by directly double-clicking the .prel file try starting PRE with a new project and then open the old project from within PRE.

Where did the clip(s) come from? It is quite possible that your 32-bit system had applications/codecs installed that could interpret the clips, but you do not have those same applications/codecs in your new system.

Analyse the files with GSpot and post the screen images here.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Codec problems with .prel?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

The 64-bit aspect of the OS is not the issue. PrE is still a 32-bit program, so will use 32-bit CODEC's. [The same would not hold with PrPro CS5, which IS a 64-bit program, and needs 64-bit CODEC's.]

As Neale says, your old OS likely had the correct CODEC's installed, but your new OS does not. Follow Neale's suggestion to find out which CODEC is missing, and then locate and install that. I am a big fan of NOT randomly installing CODEC's, and never go with any CODEC "packs," with the exception of some of the MS CODEC packs for particular MS OS's.

This ARTICLE will give you a bit more background on CODEC's in general.

Good luck, and if you have any problem locating the necessary CODEC, just let us know what it is, and someone will point you in the right direction.

Hunt