6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2011 8:17 AM by the_wine_snob

PE9 Need to switch to Widescreen output after project is completed.

darellev

I have an HD camcorder (Sanyo Xacti) and all of my media is HD. I began a project with PE7 and started with my preferences set to Widescreen editing. Was 90% done with the project when I upgraded to PE9. (note here that I burned my almost finished project to DVD, and it was perfect - HD that filled the 16x9 screen as expected). To finish the project, I simply "opened" the saved project pin PE9 and continued to edit (no option given to choose preference since it was not a new project, and I didn't even think about it). I assumed it would work the same - it didn't. :-(

After I finished the project in PE9 and was ready to burn a DVD, I choose widescreen. Both the preview and the burned DVD show a 16x9 aspect image, but it is black-bordered on all four sides (in other words, "pillard and letterboxed." ) For grins, I tried burning another DVD with standard aspect chosen at the share/DVD menu, and this time the DVD came out the full width of the screen, but stretched to fit the width, so everybody's extra wide. Black bars at the top.

At this stage of the game, is there *any* way to output the project in 16x9 HD that fills the full screen, or am I facing starting completely from scratch with my raw footage so I can tell PE that I want to edit in HD from the beginning? Who has good news for me? Or at least *any* news so I can stop fretting about the three weeks I've got into this project and at least do something proactive.

Thanks!

- Darell

• 1. Re: PE9 Need to switch to Widescreen output after project is completed.
          nealeh Level 5

Although PRE versions should be backwards compatible in practice this is not so and you are best completing a project in the version with which you started. As this advice will come too late, try an experiment to see where the underlying cause of the problem is. Open a new PRE9 project matching your footage and import your clip (there should not be a red line across the timeline). Then Share to DVD format (use Burn to Folder to avoid wasting disks). Does this new project Share properly?

Note that although your footage may be HighDef, DVD format is 720x480 NTSC so there will be downsizing during the Share process.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PE9 Need to switch to Widescreen output after project is completed.
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

We've got two challenges going on here, Darell.

One is that you're working with footage from a Sanya Xacti, which is often not compatible with Premiere Elements.

The other is that you opened an older version project with a newer version of the program, which as I explain in my books often causes buggy and unpredictable behavior.

I'm sorry but I don't think there's an easy fix here that I'm aware of.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: PE9 Need to switch to Widescreen output after project is completed.
              darellev Level 1

Thanks Neal -

I'm going to give your suggestion a try right now... though I'm already somewhat confident that it'll work just fine with a new project. Stand by for that result!

@Steve -

Since PE7, I've had no problem with the Sanyo Xacti. And it appears that PE9 is no exception. As I mentioned above, the project worked just fine until I made the switch mid-project. I'm not sure we can blame that on the Xacti! Both PE compatibility and user error, yes!

• 4. Re: PE9 Need to switch to Widescreen output after project is completed.
                darellev Level 1

Result of the experiment:

PE9 - start new project, set the project to match media pixel and framerate. Toss one clip onto timeline, share to HD DVD.

PERFECT.

Not surprised as I mentioned. So... does this tell us anything that can help me reclaim my original project do you suppose? It *almost* seems like I should be able to export this project as something, and bring it back into a new project correctly. But... probably not.

Any help is still greatly appreciated!

• 5. Re: PE9 Need to switch to Widescreen output after project is completed.
                  nealeh Level 5

Under the folder where you are saving your project you will see a folder "Adobe Premiere Elements Auto-Save". If you are lucky you may find an older v7 .prel file there that you can open in your PRE7 version.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: PE9 Need to switch to Widescreen output after project is completed.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

In AutoSave, be aware that those PREL files are FIFO, and the program will overwrite the older ones with newer ones. If one has left the default to 5 mins, and 5 files, that is all the AutoSaves that one will have. Change the View to Details, and look closely at the Date/Time for the last one - 003 might be newer, than 005.

Good luck,

Hunt