3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2011 2:06 PM by the_wine_snob

HD menu background - can't get full screen photo

CincySaint

Using PE9 on a Mac...

I'm trying to use a photo behind any of the HD disc menus.   I'm using images that are larger than 1920 X 1080 but when I add them, they do not fill the screen.   It appears they are standard DVD size rather than HD.

Is there some trick to make this work right?

• 1. Re: HD menu background - can't get full screen photo
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Just to make sure that we are all on the same page, can you please describe exactly how you are using those still images as a Menu background?

Thank you, and welcome to the forum,

Hunt

• 2. Re: HD menu background - can't get full screen photo
            CincySaint Level 1

Thanks, Bill.   Let me see if I can explain this clearly.   I just bought PE9 and I'm a lot more familiar with Final Cut Expresa and

iDVD so bear with me.

Project is set to editing for HD1080i   I imported some MTS files that are 1920 x 1080 and edited them.

I dragged the "Grid" theme for the Disc Menu.   Then under Menu Background, I clicked the Browse button and chlose a jpg file that is much larger than 1920 x 1080.   But in the menu, it appears with black bars on top, bottom, left and right.

I just tried again by editing the photo down to 1920 x 1080 and that worked better but I still have black bars on top and bottom.  So clearly the size of the photo image is important.

Any thoughts on the specfic size that I need?

• 3. Re: HD menu background - can't get full screen photo
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, thanks for that.

First thing that I would look at is the pixel x pixel size of the JPEG's, that you are using. You say "much larger," but how much larger?

I'd Scale one in PS/PSE, to very close to that 1920 x 1080 pixel x pixel size (DPI/PPI are meaningless in Video), and try one that is very close to what you want.

In the Menu Editing Panel, there should be a defined Drop Zone. I'd drag to that, and check.

Also note: some users have found that some of the Menu Set Templates will not affectively "take" a different Background Image. Some will seem to work, but then will only apply that image to either the Main Menu (most common), or to the Scene Selection Menu, but not for both. This is an apparent Bug, but so far, that is not what you are talking about.

Good luck,

Hunt