9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2011 1:17 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Why does PP CS5 sometimes not respect video opacity keyframes?

DVDmike Level 1

I am on Win 7 x64 system running CS5.

I have a DV NTSC clip in a DV timeline.

The clip suddenly goes black w/o any keyframes and with the opacity set to 100%.  There are speed changes applied to the clip.

If I take only copy of the clip from the project window and add it to the clip, it does not go black.  But then I would need to re-key my time remapping keyframes.

I have another clip that I have added time remapping to and it will not respect my opacity keyframes.  I add a zero percent opacity and the begging and am trying to fade up to 100%.  But it is ALWAYS 100% no matter what I change the opacity to.

I have also had this issue sporadically on other clips but it eventually cleared itself when I would done some other editing, leave PPRO and re-open the project.

I have also had a similar issue with audio level keyframes.

What is causing these issues and how can I reset premiere to respect all opacity and audio volume keyframes?

• 1. Re: Why does PP CS5 sometimes not respect video opacity keyframes?
          DVDmike Level 1

Here is a screen capture of what I am seeing.  In this case I set the keyframes in the middle of the clip to zero percent.  You can see that where the CTI is the reading is 0.0% and you can see video in the preview window.

capture-blank2.JPG

• 2. Re: Why does PP CS5 sometimes not respect video opacity keyframes?
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you got the latest update 5.0.3 installed?

I can reproduce what you are seeing

It has something to do with the timeremapping (i think), have not figured it out how exactly

Nest the clip, add the timerapping in the nested clip and the opacity keyframes in the main timeline. See if that will help

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Why does PP CS5 sometimes not respect video opacity keyframes?
              DVDmike Level 1

I am on 5.03  I am not sure that I had this issue in prior 5.x releases or not.

I too think that I can reproduce the opacity issue at will now by simply time-remapping and then setting opacity keyframes.  It is not really practical for what I am doing with so many clips to nest them.

If a couple of others can also cooborate this issue, I am going to assume that it is a bug.  But whatever it is, it is a real pain in the tush!

My workaround for now is to export the clip with the time-remapping, re-import it, and add opacity keyframes to the imported clip.  Another option is to just use AE.  But since playback is not realtime with audio et al in AE, this is not a great option either.  This is very frustrating.

• 4. Re: Why does PP CS5 sometimes not respect video opacity keyframes?
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Here's what's happening, near as I can figure out...

When combining time remapping keyframes with opacity keyframes (actually, any of the fixed effects), Premiere is effectively "pre-composing" the transformation before applying the time remap.

Look at it this way: let's say you have a 10-second clip that you are dissolving from 100% opacity at 5 seconds to 0% opacity at 10 seconds. Every second, you diminish the opacity by 20% until the last keyframe. Now, use time remapping to change the speed of the clip to 50%. The opacity keyframes don't move, but they are still being applied to the same relative time point in the original clip. So, when you slow the clip down 50%, the keyframe at the original clip's 5-second mark "moves" to the time-remapped version's 10-second mark; likewise, the original clip's 10-second keyframe "moves" to the time-remapped version's 20-second mark. That's why it doesn't appear that the original keyframes work properly, but they actually are--those changes are being remapped just like the rest of the clip. Given Premiere's rendering order, I don't think this is necessarily a bug as it is just a by-product of the way time remapping works.

Ann's workaround of nesting the time-remapped clip and then applying the opacity keyframes is probably the most viable option, as it will "fix" the time-remapped clip as a footage item comprised of "real" frames. It should not affect your workflow too significantly. You can remap your clip as you like, and then right-click and Nest it; once you've done that, just add keyframes to the nest. I definitely wouldn't do the export/import dance; nesting should accomplish the same and give you more flexibility.

• 5. Re: Why does PP CS5 sometimes not respect video opacity keyframes?
                  DVDmike Level 1

Colin, thank you for the time to reply.  Have you tried to duplicate the issue?  If you have, then you are obviously not seeing the same thing that I am.

If I take a 10 second clip and set the time remap to 50%, making it 20 seconds, and add an opacity keyframe of 0% at the start of the clip and another one at the 1 second mark of 100%, the entire clip, yes the ENTIRE CLIP plays back black.  If I understand your explanation of what you think is happening correctly, we would expect the clip to be at 100% opacity at 2 seconds.  This is NOT the case.

Assuming that others are seeing what I am seeing, this is definitely a B.U.G.  And even if it were as explained, it is still a bug.  There is no reason why this would ever be intentional.

Nesting the clip is easier than I thought.  I did not realize that you could right click to nest.  So this is an acceptable workaround to the issue.  So thank you both for that information.  It is quite helpful.

If I should encounter the audio problem again, which has nothing to do with time-remapping, I will post another thread.  I already have another thread in the works for dynamic link comps going offline for no reason.

• 6. Re: Why does PP CS5 sometimes not respect video opacity keyframes?
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

I cannot replicate what you're seeing, based on your description. I've tried on two systems--one with only software MPE, and the other with hardware MPE--and neither exhibit the exact issue you're describing. I'm curious of the precise steps you do to repeat this every time, because I did just what you said, and I only encountered the issue I described. Ann says she's able to repeat it, so I'm not doubtful that there is something that is happening, but at this point it could be a wide range of issues.

Any chance you can post the project file somewhere? No need for media--just the project file zipped up would suffice.

• 7. Re: Why does PP CS5 sometimes not respect video opacity keyframes?
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am trying to reproduce the error but it now i have a clip that wont turn the opacity on when keyframes go from 0 to 100.

I also have a clip that acts normal. Must be something where you put the keyframes and when you move them around.

It defenitly has to do with timeremapping, when i turn it off problem goes away.

I am trying to make a project that shows both.

• 8. Re: Why does PP CS5 sometimes not respect video opacity keyframes?
                        enack

Same problem with my PP - CS5 set up.  If I have a 20 second DV clip on the timeline then slow the middle section down to 50% speed for 4 seconds then back to 100% speed.  To this clip I'll go from 0 to 100% opactiy in 1 second using keyframes at the in point and 100 to 0% in 1 second at the out.  The clip will fade in but stay at 100% during the fade out.....   The numeric display in the effects controls pannel goes from 100 to 0 but the program monitor and my renders do not fade out.....   Remove time remapping and all is good.....  ?  This happens with both MPE hardware and MPE software only.......  Bug/noBug ? CS4 did not do this.... Any other thoughts - I'm just changing the way I work, hopfully this will get sorted in a future upgrade.....  ?

• 9. Re: Why does PP CS5 sometimes not respect video opacity keyframes?
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Bug/noBug ?

Any time you find yourself asking that, go ahead and submit a detailed bug report.