12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2011 11:56 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 9 Opens with Altered Workspace, then Locks Up

A. T. Frisco

After starting to learn Premiere Elements 8 in a classroom setting I decided to buy the software. With Premiere Elements 9 available I purchased that version and installed it on my home PC.

My System: HP Pavilion dv9500 Notebook PC, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU, T7500 @ 2.20GHz; 4.0 GB RAM; 32-bit Operating System, Windows Vista Business, Service Pack 2; DirectX version 11.0; NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS.

The installation (from a DVD) appeared to go normally. I used the program less than one day just checking on what new features the 9 version had over the 8 version. During that time it appeared to be very similar to what I had learned with version 8 in the class that I took. When I retrieved video files (from a DVD) that had been supplied with the “Adobe Premiere Elements 9 Classroom In A Book” and started some of the exercises, the program locked up and gave me the following message: “Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project.”

After closing the program and reopening it the workspace was not normal. The Tasks panel was missing; the Monitor panel and My Project panel were present but were free floating (they could be dragged about the screen with the mouse).

screen.jpg

To try to get the regular workspace back I clicked Window > Restore Workspace. When I did that I got the “Sorry, a serious error…” message every time I tried it.

I next uninstalled Premiere Elements 9 using Control Panel > Programs and Features > Uninstall. The only thing that I uninstalled was the 1.9GB Adobe Premiere Elements program. Then I re-installed it. That however, did not correct the problem.

Several threads on the Adobe Forum have suggested that the Event Viewer should be examined to see if it held any clues. I have done that and copied the seven Information Events and one Error Event that seemed to be associated with the timeframe of my opening the program, but not being very technically inclined I am not sure what to look for. It if it would help resolve my problem I can post those Events.

Any help with resolving my problem will be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Opens with Altered Workspace, then Locks Up
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Do you have the latest version of Quicktime?

How much free, defragmented space is on your hard drive?

Are you editing to your C drive or to an external hard drive?

Are you editing video? If so, why kind of camcorder did the video come from and which project settings did you select when you started your Premiere Elements project?

Did you start a new project in version 9 or try to open a version 8 project in version 9?

Anything else you can tell us? The more clues we have, the more likely we'll be able to help.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Opens with Altered Workspace, then Locks Up
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For the Workspace, go to Window>Reset Workspace.

You can certainly type out, or do a screen-cap for the Event Viewer errors. The ones that will the most use to you will be ones with links. Often, those will lead to MS Web messages, such as a "driver" problem.

As Steve mentions, QT Player update and both the video, and audio driver updates will likely help.

What video card do you have?

What is the driver version and date?

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - do not know Adobe CiaB for PrE, but with most of the CiaB series, they suggest Resetting the Workspace, for each lesson, so that one is looking at the same view, as the author. Now, when I use any of the CiaB series for PS, I do not do that, as I have everything where I want it, and just "read between the lines."

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Opens with Altered Workspace, then Locks Up
              A. T. Frisco Level 1

Yes, it is the latest version of QuickTime. When I loaded the Premiere Elements it asked that I download the current version - which I did.

There is 59.8 GB free space on my C-drive and I am saving to the default Adobe 9 site on the C-drive.

I am not editing video yet. The only thing that I did was import QuickTime Movie (.mov) clips from an external hard drive. That was part of the exercise that I was following in the "Adobe Premiere Elements 9 Classroom in a Book" book.

I have not attempted to open any Premiere Elements-8 projects.

I really appreciate the very prompt response to my first post on this forum and look forward to future assistance with this issue.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Opens with Altered Workspace, then Locks Up
                A. T. Frisco Level 1

Bill Hunt, thanks for your reply

For the Workspace, go to Window>Reset Workspace.

I did that and got the "Sorry, serious error..." message as I mentioned in the original post.

You can certainly type out, or do a screen-cap for the Event Viewer errors. The ones that will the most use to you will be ones with links. Often, those will lead to MS Web messages, such as a "driver" problem.

I have copied below the results of the Event Viewer attempt to find clues to my problem. As far as I could see there there were no links to MS or other solutions. The times that are underlined indicate my operations on the computer. The copied screen shots that follow indicate the Event Viewer results.

8:46 – Opened PrE and with Welcome screen open & let it run until hard drive lights stopped blinking. All of the following Information Events were listed between 8:46:08 and 8:46:19

4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

8:49 – Clicked on New Project, that ran the progress bar for about 30 seconds, then I got message that previous project closed unexpectedly and did I want to recover old project. The following Information Event was listed at 8:49:19'

5.jpg

8:50 – Clicked No to recover old project and got a blank PrE grey screen.

8:51 – Clicked File > New Project (named it New Project-3) and OK, then corrupted workspace opened. The hard drive lights continued to blink until 8:53.

8:53 – With the mouse I moved the Monitor panel to uncover the Menu bar, then clicked on Window > Restore Workspace. At that point I got the “Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project.”

8:55 – Clicked OK on their offer to save project and the “Sorry, serious error” dialog box went away. Now it was no longer a PrE screen, just white with the 2 panels still present. A mouse click on a blank area deleted the 2 panels and the spinning dougnut was still spinning. The following Information Event was listed at 8:56:18

6.png

8:57 – Opened Task Manager and the 2 panels reappeared. A Microsoft Windows dialog box opened saying that Adobe PrE 9 was not responding with option to close program which I did. The last two Events (the first an Information Event and the second an Error Event) were listed at 8:57:39 and 8:57:51

8.jpg

7.jpg

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Opens with Altered Workspace, then Locks Up
                  A. T. Frisco Level 1

Had some problems with formating the previous reply and did not get to list my video card info:

Nvidia, Geforce 8600M GS, version 260.99. This was updated at the time I loaded the PrE software.

Thanks again for your assistance.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Opens with Altered Workspace, then Locks Up
                    PRE_help Adobe Employee

Could you delete the layouts folder and then try again? This folder is located wherever your project is located, if nothing has changed, it should be in "My Documents"

Also, try creating the project in a different location, other than the default one. And then try the same steps.

Do let us know.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Opens with Altered Workspace, then Locks Up
                      A. T. Frisco Level 1

PRE_help asked - Could you delete the layouts folder and then try again? I found the following:

C-drive > Documents > Adobe > Premier Elements > 9.0 > contained the following 4 folders plus 15 files (the files had .log & .prel extensions)

Folder: Adobe Premier Elements Preview Files > Six folders (.PRV extension) and all were empty

Folder: Encoded Files > Six folders (.prel extension) with same names as above and all empty

Folder: Layouts – that folder was empty

Folder: Styles – contained one file named “tempworkingset” (Details indicated it was .prsl extension)

I first deleted just the empty “Layouts” folder and opened PrE with the same result - the same corrupted workspace.

I next deleted everything in the 9.0 folder (4 folders and now 17 files) and opened PrE with the same result – a corrupted workspace.

Then I went back to My Documents and found 3 folders (Adobe Premier Elements Preview Files, Encoded Files, and Layouts – but not the Styles folder) and 4 files had been recreated by the software. I deleted everything again and tried the other suggestion that had been made by PRE_help and that was to try creating a new project in a different location. I made a new folder (TestJan4) under My Documents and then opened PrE and created a new project in the new location. The result was the same, the corrupted workspace opened and had to be closed with the Task Manager as it had been with all the previous trials.

Here is a screen shot of the folders/files in the new location: C-drive > Documents > TestJan4

TestJan4.JPG

Any other suggestions as to what I might try?

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Opens with Altered Workspace, then Locks Up
                        PRE_help Adobe Employee

Try the following three steps and then let us know if the problem is still seen.

1. I am attaching Editing layouts file that should be replaced in

"%appdata%\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0\Layouts" folder

Press Start->Run and paste the folder path within the quotes into the text bar.

2. Delete the catalog from

%appdata%\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\

3. Launch Premiere Elements 9 Create a new(er) project in a new(er) location

If this does not work, uninstall and reinstall, and when uninstalling, remember to check "Remove preferences.." in the first uninstall screen

Please let us know how this goes.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Opens with Altered Workspace, then Locks Up
                          A. T. Frisco Level 1

PRE_help – thanks for your suggestions. Whenever I have to tinker with my computer files I am always leery about possibly getting something so screwed up that nothing works, so before I started with your 3-step suggestions I wanted to make sure I could locate the things that you specified.

In all my previous work with PrE I had not recalled seeing an “Elements Organizer” folder. So in searching for it I did find it, but it was in a different location on my computer from where I had previously been going. Let me list for you where the Adobe folders are located on my computer and you can tell me if possibly the different locations may be causing some of my problems.

(1)    Desktop\Alan\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0. This is the site where my projects have been created.

(2)  Desktop\Computer\Local Disk(C:)\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 9. (749 MB, 386 folders, 2,696 files). All the folders here appeared to have been created on 1/1/2011. That is the day that I first installed the PrE software. And the files at this location appear to have been created on 9/8/2010.

(3)  Desktop\Computer\Local Disk(C:)\Program Files\Adobe\Elements 9 Organizer. (581 MB, 186 folders, 3,059 files). However, there was no “Catalogs” folder at this location.

(4)  Desktop\Alan\AppData\Local\Adobe. (34.9 MB, 39 folders, 54 files).  None of these folders appeared to have any PrE or Organizer designations.

I am going to hold off trying to implement your 3 suggestions until I hear from you whether or not there is any significance to the different hard drive locations of my Adobe folders. Also, I will need to get directions on finding the “Catalogs” folder that I was supposed to delete in step two of your suggestions.

Thanks for putting up with my lack of computer prowess.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Opens with Altered Workspace, then Locks Up
                            PRE_help Adobe Employee

To get to the catalogs and the layouts folder, you should type in the following in the Start->Run bar

Layouts: "%appdata%\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0\Layouts\"

Catalogs: "%appdata%\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\"

Catalogs: "%programdata%\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\"

There are two places the catalogs are created, one for the current user and one for all users, I suggest you clear both and then relaunch. So to repeat

1. Replace the layouts file I sent

2. Delete catalogs

3. Create a new project in a new location

Try this and let me know if you need help.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Opens with Altered Workspace, then Locks Up
                              A. T. Frisco Level 1

Many thanks to PRE_help!

I was able to complete almost all of the steps that you suggested. However, I was not able to get to the second catalogs folder that you listed to delete it. When I typed the following in the Start > Run bar: %appdata%\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\, I got an error message that indicated they could not find: C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Elements’. Even after double checking the spelling etc. and re-entering it, I got the same error message again. Other than that one deletion not being accomplished, I did complete all the other steps.

When I opened a new project at a new location the PrE software opened with the normal Workspace in place. I generated a couple of very small projects and saved them. They appeared to then reopen normally. I also generated a project on an external drive and it seemed to function normally.

Do you have any suggestions where I might read about where scratch disks should be saved and other issues related to economizing your disk space?

Again, many thanks for helping me get my Workspace back to normal.

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Opens with Altered Workspace, then Locks Up
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

The choice of the location of the Scratch Disks should be made with a few consideration:

The ultimate location for performance is on a separate HDD from the OS & Programs, from the Project and from the Media files. However, most computers do not have enough separate, physical HDD's to allow for this. One downside is that when one goes to Delete a finished Project, they have to go through several locations. Though it has a marginal (you might never notice in real-world editing) loss in performance, I keep my Scratch Disks within the Projects' folder structure. Now, I still have my HDD allocation such that I separate my OS & programs on C:\, my Projects, including my Scratch Disks on either D:\, or on a FW-800 external, if I need to migrate between my laptop and my workstation, and normally the Media will be on E:\. The exception to that is when using the FW-800 external for migration, where all media is also on that external. This is getting less than ideal from a pure performance standpoint, but any slowdown is hardly noticed by me, and I can easily transport my full Projects between computers.

For pure performance, locate the Scratch Disks on a separate, physical dedicated HDD, but remember that when you Delete the completed Project, you need to do so from the Project HDD, and then from that dedicated Scratch Disk HDD.

In my case above, when I am done, and have Archived the Project, I just have one folder structure, under that Project, to Delete - simple.

Good luck,

Hunt