11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2011 10:32 AM by nealeh

Soundcard "device in use" after closing PE9

captjames

I recently installed PRE9 full version for PC, and it worked fine as expected.  After finishing my first project and exporting it to MPEG, I tried playing the movie in windows media player, but the audio didn't work.  Then I tried other programs requiring audio, and nothing was playing through my default sound card (Creative EMU 0404 USB interface).  When I tried to test the sound card in the "sounds" menu, it gave me a "device in use" message telling me to close the program that was using the sound card, even though PRE9 was not running anymore.

(My laptop's internal sound card works fine for certain audio, like web videos, it doesn't seem affected at all.)

I have tried re-booting the sound card, the computer, updated drivers for the sound card, gone through the task manager and disabled anything that looked remotely connected to audio, or PE9 and it is still saying the device is in use.  When I re-open PRE9, the sound card works fine within the program again, but nowhere else.  Why does my sound card think it's still in use with PRE9?

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Soundcard "device in use" after closing PE9
          PRE_help Adobe Employee

What I have understood:

You have a USB speaker connected to the PC and that is where you had configured the sound output, before using PRE9.

Could you let us know what are the devices listed in the ASIO settings? (In PRE9, go to Edit->Preferences->Audio hardware)

Also could you attach a screenshot of the sound card properties?

Could you try disconnecting the USB speaker manually and trying same steps? And then reconnect it back and let us know if there is any change in behavior.

What I have not understood:

How is it that you are getting the internal speaker to work when the USB speaker is configured for sound output. Other than the system sounds (wrong key presses etc) no other sounds usually go through the system speakers..

If my understanding in incorrect, please help.

• 2. Re: Soundcard "device in use" after closing PE9
            captjames Level 1

Thanks for the quick response.

It is a USB sound card/midi interface.  My laptop also has its own sound card, it is not the internal card that makes system error noises, it is a realtek audio card, and the two can sometimes work at the same time.  The EMU is listed as "digital output" and the Realtek card is listed as "speakers"  See screenshot below.

scrnshot 1 sound card properties.jpg

The devices listed in ASIO devices are:

-Premiere Elements WMD Sound

-ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver

-ASIO Multimedia Driver

-ASIO EMU 0404 | USB

It defaulted to Premiere Elements WMD Sound, whose ASIO Settings show up as:

-Digital Output (E-MU 0404 | USB) (selected)

-Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) (not selected, this is my laptop's sound card.  I have tried using this instead of the EMU USB sound card, but the same problem persists.)

If I select the EMU card under the devices list, the ASIO settings button brings up a small window that has settings for buffer size and bit depth and a "per application preferences" box.

If I disconnect the EMU USB card physically, the device menu stays the same minus the EMU option, and under ASIO settings I get:

--Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

The program works and outputs to the laptop speakers just fine.

After closing the program and re-connecting the EMU card, the problem persists in exactly the same way.  PRE9 saved the setting of using the Realtek hardware for output, but my computer still claims the EMU is in use.

Does that help at all?

• 3. Re: Soundcard "device in use" after closing PE9
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with that useful info, can you also provide screen-caps of the running programs/processes when another program has "hooked" the sound card? Note: depending on the number of running programs/processes, you might need to do more than one screen-cap to show them all.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Soundcard "device in use" after closing PE9
                captjames Level 1

Here are the processes running at any given time while the soundcard is locked out (which is always).

scrnshot 2 processes.jpg

and this

scrnshot 3 processes cont.jpg

See anything?

• 5. Re: Soundcard "device in use" after closing PE9
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

A couple of programs/processes that I would be curious about would be:

• AppleMobileDevice
                  • Audog
                  • iPodServce
                  • iTuneHelper
                  • BonjurServices

Some that I just do not know are:

• Reno
                  • RichVideo

Also, why all the svchost instances? That is an amazing number of instances of that process.

Check the spelling on some of those, as on my 17" laptop, a few were not that clear.

Thanks for posting, and maybe others will see something that I am missing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Soundcard "device in use" after closing PE9
                    captjames Level 1

AudioDG is the windows graph that shows the list of sound cards, (in the first screenshot I took).  Disabling it does nothing.

Applemob, bonjour, ipodsvc and itunehelper are all iTunes-related processes.  I have tried ending those as well, doesn't do anything.

Can't say what all the svchosts are doing, could be there is something there.

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Soundcard "device in use" after closing PE9
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for that. Looked like AudioDOg, but just did not know what it was.

The various iTunes/Bonjour have caused some issues for others, but not what you describe. On my laptop, also with iTunes, I have the Helper, and Bonjour Services OFF in MSCONFIG. I found that I DID need Bonjour Services on my workstation for my Extensis Suitcase font manager.

I'm just looking for something else that might "hook" the Audio. I have not seen anyone having issues with PrE doing so, upon Exit, but that does not mean that it could not happen.

I'll keep looking over the list, and I hope that others do. I would just believe that if PrE did that, after Exit, others would have had similar issues, but maybe it's a "perfect storm," where you hardware and software just align to give you that behavior, and others have been lucky.

Good luck, and again, thanks for the screen-caps,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Soundcard "device in use" after closing PE9
                        captjames Level 1

I finally got a reply from Creative, and I think I have the solution, although I don't know how to check something they asked me to check. 

They asked me to check the sample rate settings of the sound card in windows, which I changed for the E-MU device from 44100hz to 48000hz, lo and behold the problem has been fixed!  So that's good.

They also asked me to do the following:

"Before start using the E-MU 0404 USB, only ensure that your Adobe Premiere Elements runs specifically on Windows 7 64-bit mode.  Apart from that, you should be using the latest E-MU USB driver. Also note that sample rate configuration between Windows and 0404 USB software control are matched."

But I don't know how to check that PRE9 runs specifically on windows 7 64-bit mode.  I'm tempted not to do anything further since everything is working right now, but if someone knows how to achieve this last task, I'd be happy to know.

Thanks for all your help.

Matt

• 9. Re: Soundcard "device in use" after closing PE9
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Matt,

Interesting. The 44.1 KHz is the standard for CD Audio, and the 48 KHz is the standard for DVD/BD. My guess is that the installation of the sound device just defaults to the 44.1 Sample-Rate.

I'll have to let others instruct you on insuring that PrE is set to run in Win7-64 mode, as I do not have Win7, and MS has changed a lot of the compatibility modes, and where one accesses them. I'd either fritz things up, if I gave you old instructions, or send you on a wild-goose chase. Others will be able to point you instantly to the settings, and their location.

Good luck, and thanks for reporting your success!

Hunt

• 10. Re: Soundcard "device in use" after closing PE9
                            nealeh Level 5

the_wine_snob wrote:

insuring that PrE is set to run in Win7-64 mode

I don't understand what Adobe mean by giving that instruction to the original poster. Perhaps I'm lacking some essential piece of understanding of W7 but to me the sentence is meaningless. Windows itself recognises that an application is 32 or 64 bit and sets the run environment automatically.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: Soundcard "device in use" after closing PE9
                              nealeh Level 5

the_wine_snob wrote:

insuring that PrE is set to run in Win7-64 mode

I  don't understand what Adobe mean by giving that instruction to the  original poster. Perhaps I'm lacking some essential piece of  understanding of W7 but to me the sentence is meaningless. Windows  itself recognises that an application is 32 or 64 bit and sets the run environment automatically.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children