6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2011 5:38 PM by wonderspark

Difference between CS3 and CS5 program monitor playback

wonderspark Level 1

Hello, all ~

I've found ten to fifteen threads regarding an issue whereby the program monitor appears pixelated in CS5 when it did not in prior versions of Premiere.  I have both CS3 and CS5 Production Premium, and having played with DVCProHD files in both versions, I've noticed some behavior that makes me wonder what the difference is.  Here are a few of the threads that seem most relevant:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2970256#2970256

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1747808#1747808

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2662873#2662873

System info:

2009 Mac Pro 3.33 GHz Quad Core Xeon W3580

ATI Radeon HD 5870 GPU from Apple

3x1TB internal RAID 0 for video files

640 GB internal HDD for OSX 10.6.5

Dell G2210 for monitor #1, Apple 30" Cinema Display for monitor #2

The video files were shot on an HVX200, DVCProHD P2 mxf media, 1080/24p setting.  The file properties show these files to be 1080i, 29.97 (24p), which I'm told is called "60i over 24p" or something like that.  I'll admit that the exact nature of the file type is a little over my head, but that's another part of the issue that I've yet to find consensus on.  Some say 24p is actually better in 720p mode on this camera, and others say 1080i is better, but that you're throwing away data for the same quality.  Whatever.  I only add this info to assist those that know everything about this format.

I also have some MOV files exported from After Effects CS3, where I used the original P2 files, added effects, and exported animation codec files at "best" settings.

Finally, I have a THIRD set of files, which are P2 files (MXF) that I created by exporting from Premiere CS3.  THESE are the files that are giving me some problems in CS5, and cause me to ask about the difference from CS3.

(Ok, there are also files of a fourth type that give me no problems whatsoever, and those are MPG files exported from a friend's PC laptop using the PC version of Pr and Ae CS4.  Of all the files, I expected these to give me grief, but they are fine!)

I converted the CS3 project to CS5, and the only files that look pixelated in the program monitor are those P2 export files from CS3.  In CS3, all files play flawlessly, smoothly and I could not be more pleased by the look from import to Blu-ray disc export.  I watched the Blu-ray movie on a brand new 3D-HDTV, and it's perfect.  Now, playing this project in the new CS5 version is just as smooth, just as sharp when playing the original P2 files and the AE exported MOV files, but those "export to P2" files from CS3 look pixelated in CS5, while remaining perfect in CS3.

Does anyone have an idea what causes this difference in playback quality in the program monitor, for just the P2 exported files?

• 1. Re: Difference between CS3 and CS5 program monitor playback
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Check the Playback/Paused resolution settings for the Program Monitor in the sequence that contains the CS3 P2 files.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Difference between CS3 and CS5 program monitor playback
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Does the pixelation in the "exported P2" files carry over to an export onto Blu-ray?  Can you still see the pixelation on the HDTV, or only in Premiere Pro's monitor?

• 3. Re: Difference between CS3 and CS5 program monitor playback
              wonderspark Level 1

I'm going to try a burn via CS5 tonight to verify, as the CS3 Blu-ray is perfect. The playback/pause settings have been set to full. I'm also going to look at importing the files by themselves into new projects in case it's something like interlaced instead of progressive, or something like that. (1080i vs 1080p preset)  It just seems odd that CS3 would be better with mixed media than CS5, and I am hoping someone knows why there is a difference.

• 4. Re: Difference between CS3 and CS5 program monitor playback
                wonderspark Level 1

Ok, interesting update!

I opened two new projects in CS5, and imported the "problem" CS3 P2 export footage.  One project was preset to 1080p 24, the other set to 1080i 60.  Still pixelated in the 1080p, but clear in the 1080i project, only when paused.  Still pixelates when playing, even though resolution in the project window is set to full during both playback and pause.  That's good enough for me! It would appear that even though the footage was shot in progressive mode, it still needs to be a 1080i project.  Also, simply opening the CS3 project in CS5 and allowing automatic conversion opened the door to failure.  I read somewhere that CS5 is more strict about formats than prior versions, and it appears to be true.

Also, I've read that DVCProHD footage out of the HVX-200P is not really progressive, regardless of 24p mode settings.  That also seems to be true, based on this experience.

I'm still going to burn a BD-R just to make sure, and if I feel like blowing a second BD-R, I'll test the 1080p project export as well.  Hopefully, this thread can help others with similar footage.  I'm still curious what changes in the CS5 coding manifests this issue, where it didn't in CS3.  I imagine that will only be answered by one of the developers that wrote the code, or another Adobe employee that knows via said developer.

• 5. Re: Difference between CS3 and CS5 program monitor playback
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Use BD-REs so you don't waste disks.

The HVX has progressive sensors and can record actual progressive media.  It's 24p mode is delivered in a 30i stream, but the 24p sequence will remove the electronically added pulldown.

• 6. Re: Difference between CS3 and CS5 program monitor playback
                    wonderspark Level 1

Hey, why didn't I think about BD-RE?  Good idea!

See, I heard that to get actual progressive footage, you have to shoot in 720p, whereas 1080p will be something called "24p over 60i."  There was more, something about 1080 actually being inferior quality because of throwing away frames versus 720p mode using all the data.  I don't understand it, I'm just repeating what I was told by a guy that knows way more than I do.  I didn't shoot the footage or choose the shooting mode, I was just handed the footage to edit, and they chose 1080/24p thinking it was the best quality. (:

It sounds like you know what I'm talking about better than I do, so maybe they both shoot 24p in a 30i or 60i stream?