13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2011 9:07 AM by marktomaras

LR 3.3 ignores plug-ins in Modules folder on Mac

Raj&K

Hello,

I put my plug-in in /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Modules as its described in docs but Lightroom ignores it. Actually it ignores any plug-ins in this folder. I can add a plug-in from this folder manually and it'll work but i need LR to do this automatically. Can i do anything to help LR recognize my plug-in or may be i need to put my plug-in to some other place?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: LR 3.3 ignores plug-ins in Modules folder on Mac
          areohbee Level 5

That looks right to me, although I can't verify right now.

Do you need it installed for all-users? if not, you might try the single-user version of that directory.

Another thing you could try is to download a trial version of some plugin, like onOne, Nik, or XRite, and see where they get put.

I'll check it when I can.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: LR 3.3 ignores plug-ins in Modules folder on Mac
            Raj&K Level 1

Thank for you lightspeed reply

I've already tried with other plug-ins. The problem exists. I've also googled a bit and noticed that some companies just recorded videos to workaround this issue. I just want to know is it possible to have it described way.

Thakns for you user library folder suggestion. I can now see both plugins in Plug-in manager but they're disabled

Thanks again.

PS: I've also noticed that other plug-ins in global library directory are visible now. So i guess the problem can be solved by creating a Modules directory in user Library folder.

• 3. Re: LR 3.3 ignores plug-ins in Modules folder on Mac
              areohbee Level 5

So, if I got you right:

1. all-users folder does not work, it has to be single-user folder.

2. two plugins were present but both are disabled, and you want them both to be enabled.

My experience is that Lightroom will disable plugins if:

1. The toolkit Id clashes with another.

2. An error occurs when loading the plugin.

3. Plugin has custom metadata and user did not approve a catalog update, or there was an error converting metadata from a previous format.

Did I miss something?

I would recommend trying just one plugin at a time...

Rob

• 4. Re: LR 3.3 ignores plug-ins in Modules folder on Mac
                Raj&K Level 1

Not exactly like you've described.

All-users library folder starts working only if current user folder have Modules subfolder. Suddenly I've put my plug-in in local user folder and I'm not sure if only empty subfolder enough but I feel so.

The second suggestion is not exactly what i want. I do not need two exactly the same plug-ins to be enabled at the same time. I need only one. I've just described the situation as it appeared on my Mac.

My plug-ins have no custom metadata (the one i've experimented with). So user action cannot be performed. LR did not ask me anything while I've experimented with this situation.

Thank you for you time and useful suggestions.

• 5. Re: LR 3.3 ignores plug-ins in Modules folder on Mac
                  Raj&K Level 1

It sounds crazy but... I've deleted Modules subfolder from local user and my plug-in from all-users Modules folder. The other plug-in (in global Modules subfolder) still appeared in the Plug-in manager. I've closed LR and put my plug-in into all-users Modules folder. Start LR. No my plug-in in the list. I've closed LR and created Modules in current user Library folder. Launched LR and able too see my enabled plug-in in the list. So i think my suggestion about empty folder is correct. I just cannot find a way to force packager to create a Modules subfolder in all (well at least the current user ) users Library folders to help LR find my plug-in but this is not related to LR . I'm also worry that enabled state cashed somewhere and on other systems it will not be disabled after the installation.

• 6. Re: LR 3.3 ignores plug-ins in Modules folder on Mac
                    areohbee Level 5

Raj&K wrote:

All-users library folder starts working only if current user folder have Modules subfolder.

That does sound strange, but if true, sounds like current user folder is a safer bet.

• 7. Re: LR 3.3 ignores plug-ins in Modules folder on Mac
                      areohbee Level 5

I'm not a Mac expert by a long shot, but I did create a Mac installer that installed a plugin to user-lib-modules folder (and it works). Unfortunately I don't have access to the code at this instant, but if I remember correctly it was accomplished by installing the plugin wherever mac installers like to install things, then moving it to the proper place using a script.

Lightroom does remember enabled/disabled state, but the default is enabled, so if you can solve the problem with it getting disabled, then it will be enabled for your first time users.

PS - You can define a script that runs if the plugin is disabled, and prompt your users to enable it, however you need to solve the underlying problem or that won't help much.

• 8. Re: LR 3.3 ignores plug-ins in Modules folder on Mac
                        Raj&K Level 1

Thank you again for reply.

I guess i'll use another package creation tool and solve the situation somehow.

Can you tall me more about disabled state detection? I guess i miss this in LR SDK.

• 9. Re: LR 3.3 ignores plug-ins in Modules folder on Mac
                          Raj&K Level 1

This is really strange but its true. At least for me. I with i have couple more Macs to check but my current one works this way. I only wrote that to help somebody with the same problem like myself.

• 10. Re: LR 3.3 ignores plug-ins in Modules folder on Mac
                            areohbee Level 5

Raj&K wrote:

I guess i'll use another package creation too...

I just used the free one from xcode (called "PackageMaker" or something like that) - is there another you're thinking of?

To check for disable, put:

LrDisablePlugin = "{your-script}.lua"

in Info.lua.

When the plugin is disabled, that script is executed. I'm not certain if its executed every time a script is loaded if the script is already disabled, but its certainly executed when the state is changed from enabled to disabled (which is what happens the very first time it gets disabled...). see page 24 of "the guide".

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: LR 3.3 ignores plug-ins in Modules folder on Mac
                              areohbee Level 5

Raj&K wrote:

I only wrote that to help somebody with the same problem like myself.

And most of us do appreciate it - thanks.

• 13. Re: LR 3.3 ignores plug-ins in Modules folder on Mac
                                marktomaras

Hello,

We are looking for a developer who is familliar with developing a plugin for Lightroom 3.
                                We know the SDK & API for Lightroom is a bit unique, and we want to work with someone who either has developed for Lightroom already, or someone very familiar with the process.

We would like a plug in for Lightroom 3 that creates web photo galleries.  We are not looking for something too difficult!  In fact, many plugins already exist, but none do exactly what we need.  So, we need a custom one designed for us.

The plug in should look like and work like the photo gallery plug ins already available for Lightroom, such as the standard HTML web galleries Lightroom 3 has standard, as well as the Airtight Simpleviewer plugin.  Both of these have their advantages and disadvantages.  But both are fairly flexible in what they offer, and the user can make galleries that look and behave in many ways.

Our plug in needs to avoid flash all together.  We like J Query code such as this one:
                                http://www.twospy.com/galleriffic/example-2.html

The galleries should have a download option that lets the viewer download a low res, med res, or high res file.

The galleries need a search field where users can search for key words or metadata.

This is the basic idea.  We would like to develop this project right away.  Please contact us.

Thank you,
                                Mark Tomaras

mark (at) luminositycreative (dot) com
                                +1 305 775 3020

shelby (at) luminositycreative (dot) com
                                +1 561 441 2679