7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2011 8:16 PM by waqnis

McAfee Being Installed After UNCHECKING INSTALL

sstrthomp

I unchecked Install McAfee Security Plus before installing Adobe Reader.

It still installed McAfee Security Plus.

I am running WindowsXP SP3, and Mozilla Firefox.  Nothing I can think of uncommon with my setup.....

This is kind of lame....

• 1. Re: McAfee Being Installed After UNCHECKING INSTALL
          waqnis

I had the same annoying experience today.  Went to add/remove and uninstalled McAfee.

• 2. Re: McAfee Being Installed After UNCHECKING INSTALL
            sstrthomp Level 1

For most users today, this does not translate to that big of an issue.

However, without going into detail about the horrors of the windows API and how antivirus type programs interact with it - this has the potential to spell disaster for some users.

With the widespread use of adobe reader, it is not far fetched to imagine this causing headache and even financial losses to those who know little about computers.

And considering how easy it would be to "fix" this "issue" ...

Well, I guess we shall see if Adobe even bothers to respond...

• 3. Re: McAfee Being Installed After UNCHECKING INSTALL
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

sstrthomp wrote:

Well, I guess we shall see if Adobe even bothers to respond...

They won't.

This has been going on for a long time in a few of the other forums. Everyone knows it's bad web practice on Adobe's end but they haven't bothered to change their ways.

But I'm not sure why it is still being installed after unchecking the box. Most of the problems have been caused by people not seeing the box that is checked by default (which is the "bad practice" part) or the box doesn't show up at all. This is the first I've heard of it installing after unchecking.

• 4. Re: McAfee Being Installed After UNCHECKING INSTALL
                BillyGtr

I just downloaded the Adobe Reader X update recommended by Tech Tracker, and it installed McAfee Security Scan automatically. Didn't even give me a checkbox to opt out of the download. I already have Norton Security Suite and these security programs don't play well together as a rule.

If a phone company switches you to their service without your permission, it's called "slamming' and it's illegal. Not that there ought to be a law (there's already too many damned laws), but McAfee should realize this is pissing more people off than the number of customers it's getting them.

Does removing McAfee Security Scan in Add/Remove Programs (Win 7) work?

Thanks.

• 5. Re: McAfee Being Installed After UNCHECKING INSTALL
                  pwillener Level 8

That McAfee crapware does actually not come with Adobe Reader, but with the download manager.  So if you download the executable installer (from the Adobe FTP site ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/ or from http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/) you will not get crapware installed.  The same is true for other Adobe downloads, like Flash Player.

BillyGtr wrote:

Does removing McAfee Security Scan in Add/Remove Programs (Win 7) work?

Most likely it will uninstall, but not completely remove everything.  Use MCPR.exe from http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507 after uninstalling via Add/Remove Programs.

• 6. Re: McAfee Being Installed After UNCHECKING INSTALL
                    Foffu Level 1

Bundling other software in the installer is a sign of a DYING company. Now I have to do more work and uninstall this stuff. Yeah, you got me. "Angry" is not strong enough. -Foffu.

• 7. Re: McAfee Being Installed After UNCHECKING INSTALL
                      waqnis Level 1

No surprise.  They all do it. Adobe is a prominent one.  Another trick is to

offer a so called "free download" and then add charges if one makes use of

the program -- limit to a few instances and then stop.  Why not say so at

the beginning before allowing download?  Perhaps they do but it is hidden in

the small prints.

There are a number of Adobe pdf conversion programs out there. Anyone tried

them?