4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2011 12:46 PM by the_wine_snob

imported video gets cut off at the end

kathrynadrienne

I have searched endlessly for a solution to a new problem i have never experienced before. I am importing a wmv into Premiere Pro CS5 and for each of these, the last few seconds keeps getting cut off. I view the original file in windows media player and am able to import it into windows movie maker with no problem and see ALL there, but if i import it into cs5, the last few seconds of video and audio are cut off. The problem with editing in Movie Maker is that it takes forever to save the file (right now showing 448 minutes!) This has happened to 4 of the clips i downloaded from a livemeeting webinar. We have done this many times before but today is the first time i have experienced this phenomena. I even tried using CS4 and the same problem occured. Thank you in advance for your help! Maybe i changed a setting in the midst of it all.

• 1. Re: imported video gets cut off at the end
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I have seen similar with different formats - the Duration gets truncated, and likely due to some inconsistency in the header info.

In my cases, converting almost always fixes things. WMV's are heavily-compressed to begin with, and are painful to edit, even when there are not such problems. One can use WMM (not the Live version), and Export to DV-AVI for SD material. This sounds like what you are doing now, and it CAN be a slow process, depending on the WMV CODEC used, the Duration and one's system. Those DV-AVI's will be Type I, and not Type II, but about the only issue will be static OOS (Out Of Sync), which is easily corrected in PrPro. Not all Type I files will exhibit OOS issues, but keep that in the back of your mind.

I use a shareware program, DigitalMedia Converter 2.7, but there is a newer version available. That program works great, is quick, and offers batch conversion, even from different media. Have not used the newer versions, so cannot comment. In nearly every case, those converted files work just fine, and the speed of the conversion is MUCH better, than WMM, at least on my systems.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: imported video gets cut off at the end
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Have you installed the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3) update? The recent updates fix a lot of problems.

• 3. Re: imported video gets cut off at the end
              kathrynadrienne Level 1
              function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

the_wine_snob wrote:

Welcome to the forum.

I have seen similar with different formats - the Duration gets truncated, and likely due to some inconsistency in the header info.

In my cases, converting almost always fixes things. WMV's are heavily-compressed to begin with, and are painful to edit, even when there are not such problems. One can use WMM (not the Live version), and Export to DV-AVI for SD material. This sounds like what you are doing now, and it CAN be a slow process, depending on the WMV CODEC used, the Duration and one's system. Those DV-AVI's will be Type I, and not Type II, but about the only issue will be static OOS (Out Of Sync), which is easily corrected in PrPro. Not all Type I files will exhibit OOS issues, but keep that in the back of your mind.

I use a shareware program, DigitalMedia Converter 2.7, but there is a newer version available. That program works great, is quick, and offers batch conversion, even from different media. Have not used the newer versions, so cannot comment. In nearly every case, those converted files work just fine, and the speed of the conversion is MUCH better, than WMM, at least on my systems.

Good luck,

Hunt

This is perfect work around and totally worked! Thank you for your quick response. I converted the downloaded wmv and was able to edit the video and not lose the last few seconds. Thank you!!

• 4. Re: imported video gets cut off at the end
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and thank you for reporting.

While PrPro will Import WMV's, they tax the program, and the system, just decompressing those files.

Some time back, I got in a hurry, and Imported several longish WMV's. Things were slow, but I expected that. Started the Export on the workstation, and things got really slow. I went down to the laptop (similar specs, but fewer internal HDD's), and did a batch convert of those WMV's (like I knew I should have to begin with), re-did the simple edits, with the Imported files, and Exported to the delivery file, while the workstation was still chugging along! I had the file in the client's hands (via messenger on DVD), before the workstation finished. Somewhere here, I chronicled the times, but could not find that old thread. I had the "always convert WMV's (and fill in your favorite, non-DV-AVI format/CODEC) first" reinforced to me.

Good luck, and glad that things are working for you.

Hunt