8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2011 5:44 PM by vicio1

Javascript missing when inserting Fireworks html to Dreamweaver

vicio1

When importing a javascript rollover menu from Fireworks to Dreamweaver, the buttons are recognized as buttons, but the different states don't appear. Anyone? Beuhler?

• 1. Re: Javascript missing when inserting Fireworks html to Dreamweaver
          Jim_Babbage Level 4

I am assuming you are talking about a simple rollover scenario and not a pop up menu. If you are creating pop up menus and are building a production site (as opposed to a protoype), RUN as fast as you can away from the FW pop up menu generator. It is more grief than it's worth.

For simple button symbol rolloevers, I just did a test and the rollovers work for me in a simple example. Do you have a site defined in Dreamweaver? Have you saved the new page?

That said, you will get far more flexibility if you use CSS (in Dreamweaver) to generate your state changes for buttons. You might want to consider exploring that option before spending too much time on the JS route.

• 2. Re: Javascript missing when inserting Fireworks html to Dreamweaver
            vicio1 Level 1

Hey Jim.

Been reading the discussion boards and I'm not the only one with the same problem.

I've been trying to create a simple rollover nav bar, like i've done a hundred times before, with no luck. I thought I'd discovered the solution when I realized that FW no longer generates the appropriate states to accomodate buttons you've created. But manually adding the necessary states didn't fix the problem.

To think I was happy when Adobe took over these apps from Macromedia.

Thanks for your advice. I may just take you up on it.

• 3. Re: Javascript missing when inserting Fireworks html to Dreamweaver
              Jim_Babbage Level 4

This would be true if you were exporting as CSS and Images. It's a limitation of the CSS export script. Mulitple states are only supported if you export as HTML and images, but then you've got a table-based layout. Fine for prototyping but not for much else.

• 4. Re: Javascript missing when inserting Fireworks html to Dreamweaver
                vicio1 Level 1

Exporting as HTML and images and importing as Image Object > Fireworks HTML into Dreamweaver worked perfectly in CS3.

How does one export a button or nav bar created in Fireworks in CS5?

• 5. Re: Javascript missing when inserting Fireworks html to Dreamweaver
                  Jim_Babbage Level 4

That wasn't my point. It also works fine for me in CS5. My point was about CSS and Images export as you were not very clear about your workflow.

Oops, hit send too early.

The workflow for exporting a navbar should be identical in CS5, with one exception; there is a new state naming structure in CS5 that some people are not comfortable with. It's possible that this is getting in the way but as I mentioned, I exported a 2 button, 2-state html file from FW, inserted the FW generated HTML into a brand new DW page and it worked as expected. Without looking at your files, we're just guessing about what's going wrong. Can you post a link to the PNG file?

• 6. Re: Javascript missing when inserting Fireworks html to Dreamweaver
                    vicio1 Level 1

viciocreative.com/menutop_new.png.zip

• 7. Re: Javascript missing when inserting Fireworks html to Dreamweaver
                      Jim_Babbage Level 4

OK I did a test with your file and the quick one I created. I can reproduce your issue when I use the Navbar behavior. WIth simple rollovers things work fine, but for some reason, DW is ignoring the JavaScript when I try to insert the FW HTML into a new or existing file, when the navbar JS is used.

FW is exporting the script; if you open the HTML file generated by FW, you will see the JS in the head of the document. But something is happening in DW when it tries to insert this html content into a page. Very weird. I honestly don't know if this is a DW issue or an FW issue. I admit I'm leaning toward DW, if only because the exported file from FW does work correctly.

If you like I will pass this onto the FW engineers, with your sample file.

Keep in mind my original comment still stands (espeically with navigation like your smaple, which is all text-based); strongly coonsider doing this kind of thing using and unordered list and styling the navigation using CSS. Far more flexible and accessible in this manner.

• 8. Re: Javascript missing when inserting Fireworks html to Dreamweaver
                        vicio1 Level 1

yes. please pass on to developers. i will try your suggestion. thank 

you!

sent from my iPhone