2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2011 3:48 AM by Deaf Mike

Camera layer effect - am I doing this right?

Deaf Mike Level 1

Hello - I'm trying to learn how to use the camera layer in AE.  I found a tutorial and followed along.  It seems like I'm doing it right.  What I'm trying to do is create one of the website fly-bys where you see sections of a website page up close, then it scales out to reveal the full page and then text next to it.  I made a test here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mwdeaf9094#p/u/0/UawivtP4u4M

On commercials on TV, I notice the website pages look crystal clear.  I basically just captured the page, then saved it as a PSD file for import into AE.  Is this correct process?

Here is what time timeline and controls look like.  Did I do it right for the camera effect, using the Z, Y, and X to scale the website back?

ae screen.JPG

Also, is there a way to add a drop shadow to the edges of the page and do it in AE instead of in PSD?

Thanks - the Deaf Guy

• 1. Re: Camera layer effect - am I doing this right?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In many cases the website design is recreated in Illustrator and that's brought into AE or it's just recreated in AE. That way you can scale up/zoom in without losing any resolution.

I can't look at the YouTube video due to restrictions on the network at work so I can't comment on the finished product.

I'm not sure what you mean by:

Did I do it right for the camera effect, using the Z, Y, and X to scale the website back?

There are a lot of x,y,z controls kicking around a 3d space. If you mean by moving the position of the camera back in z space from the null to which it's parented, maybe. If you mean you moved the website back in z space, maybe. If you mean you adjusted the scale property, maybe. It all depends on what you're trying to do.

To get a drop shadow you can add some lights and enable shadows on your layers, although that will be an actual realistic shadow, not just a drop shadow. If you just want a drop shadow, you can apply the Drop Shadow effect. (Or you could duplicate your layer, blur it, fill it with black, and lower the opacity.)

As you're learning the basics of AE, I would highly suggest these resources here. The links provided there are specially intended to build your AE knowledge from the ground up.

• 2. Re: Camera layer effect - am I doing this right?
            Deaf Mike Level 1

Thank you - this is very helpful.