11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2011 1:21 PM by bstockwin

Major problems with sound and memory

bstockwin

I have two problems with my work PC. I use it for video editing in adobe premier cs4

A few months ago I stared to get crackles and pops off the sound coming from the computer when listening to music or editing. Soon after the crackles start the sound goes off altogether. All programs still load and work but if i try any program with a play-head (Windows Media Player, Adobe Premiere etc...) the play-heads don't move when I press play and there is no sound. The VU meter in windows 7 gets stuck as well.

I have never seen this problem anywhere else. I have searched the internet to try and find a similar problem to no avail.

I think I have eliminated most of the components in the computer as the problem.

I use a focusrite Saffire 6 USB audio interface for sound. This works perfectly with my laptop. Before I had the focusrite I was using onboard sound. The problem statred when I was using the onboard sound. The first thing I thought of was that it could be the onboard sound so I got the USB interface (I was going to get on anyway). The problem still occurs.

I have recently changed the power supply to a modular version of the corsair HX 650 watt. The problem occurs still.

I have done a fresh install of windows on a brand new hard drive and only installed the Adobe suite of programs (Windows all up to date and legal I will add). Still the same problem.

I have put in a new GPU in recently as well. Same problem with both cards.

I cant find out if its the memory because of the problem below.

The only other thing is the motherboard and processor.

The computer is kept clean and dust free. All the temperatures are are kept in check (I have 2 extra fans in my Fractal Design Define R3 and airflow is excellent).

There is no pattern that I can see that causes the problem. Sometimes it happens when I and stressing the computer while video editing or rendering and sometimes it happens when just listening to music and writing a word document.

The second problem:

Over Christmas I also bought some new memory (Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Triple Channel) as two of the heat-spreaders on my current OCZ memory (OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz) are hanging off. Aso I thought it might be faulty RAM as I have had problem with OCZ RAM in the past.

However the computer won't boot with this new Corsair memory.

The sticks all work individually but not when more than one is installed. (I am using the red lanes). I posted a query on the Corsair forum and was told I needed to enable XMP mode in the bios. I tried this and got a grayed out message underneath saying 'Extreme memory profile disabled'. I replied on the forum and I have had no answer for 2 days.

I phoned the support line from the place I bought the memory from and they told me I needed to change the RAM voltage in the bios. Having looked at the bios I don't want to change anything. it is the asus ai-tweaker.  There are so many options and I don't know what I am doing. I cant afford to damage anything as it is my work computer and I don't really want any down time. When i change the dram voltage to 1.65 (using the + increment) It goes red which indicates danger to me! So I did not save. The ram I am replacing is exactly the same specification. Why do I have to do this just to change brands of RAM? Is Corsair RAM more fussy?

If someone could walk me through how to get my new ram working I would be extremely grateful.

I have never done any overclocking and don't wish to try. I just want my computer to work and be reliable.

I have put the OCZ memory back in for now. I am not impressed with Corsair at all. I don't expect to have to mess with thing in the bios just to change brands of ram.

I am sorry for writing a bit of an essay but I have had to answer so many questions in other forums and on the phone that I dont want to have to go through that prosess again. I have had no luck on any of the tech forums I have tried.

I will be very grateful of any help.

Thanks in advance

Ben

Specs:
      MB: Asus p6t se
      Processor: Intel Core i7 920 (Akasa AK-967 V2 cooling)
      GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 460
      Memory: OCZ Gold Low Voltage 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Triple Channel
      HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB x 5 (jabod)
      Sound: USB focusrite saffire 6 audio interface
      Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Case
      Power supply: Corsair HX 650W ATX
      Operating system: windows 7 64 home premium

• 1. Re: Major problems with sound and memory
          Harm Millaard Level 7

1. Never mix brands or even types of memory. Only use one type and brand of memory sticks.

2. Why configure your F3's in JBOD? Better use them separately.

3. Try with on-board sound instead of the USB device.

4. Tune your system: Adobe Forums: Guide for installing and tuning a Vista... which also applies to Win7.

Does the playing of a music CD also result in crackles and stopping of sound after some time?

Try with video clips you shot yourself on a normal (DV/HDV/AVCHD/XDCAM/P2) video camera and captured/ingested in the normal way

• 2. Re: Major problems with sound and memory
            bstockwin Level 1

Thanks for a replying so quickly

"Never mix brands or even types of memory. Only use one type and brand of memory sticks."

I  am not trying to mix just replace the OCZ with the Corsair ram (replace  3 sticks of 3 x 2 gb with another 3 x2 sticks). The heat spreaders on  the OCZ ram are coming off so I don't want to use it at all.

"Why configure your F3's in JBOD? Better use them separately."

Sorry, my fault. I thought JBOD meat that. They are all working separately.

"Try with on-board sound instead of the USB device."

I  was using the on-board sound when this problem started. I have had this  problem for a while now and I have tried many combination's of on-board  vs USB and different USB ports on the back. I get the same problem with  all. The USB interface work perfectly on my laptop.

"Tune your system: Adobe Forums: Guide for installing and tuning a Vista... which also applies to Win7."

The  computer was working fine for about 8 months before this started to  happen. As far as I can tell the problem was not caused by and hardware  or software change. It just started to happen one day.

Regards to 'Guide for installing and tuning a Vista 64 PC' I think I have done most of it already.

This is now on a fresh install on a brand new samsung F3 HDD. I have  only installed drivers and the Adobe suite of programs I use. There are  no yellow exclamation symbols when all devices are collapsed in the in  the Device Manager. All the drivers are the most current from the  manufacturers websites not the ones off the disk that came with the  hardware. Windows is up to date.

There are a few errors showing in the event log. Having had a quick look  at them they seem fairly normal. I have the exact same errors and many  more showing on my laptop and my older computer. There is nothing that  looks out of the ordinary. The computer in question is now practically  brand new (except for the motherboard and processor since I have  replaced the other components over the last month. The problem started  about free months ago.)

"Does the playing of a music CD also result in crackles and stopping of sound after some time?"

"Try with video clips you shot yourself on a normal (DV/HDV/AVCHD/XDCAM/P2) video camera and captured/ingested in the normal way"

It does not seem to to matter what I am doing. Listening to music with itunes or viewing raw video off my GH1 or Cannon  7D, viewing videos that have been rendered in many different formats  and played in GOM, WPM, Quick-time etc. This problem has been occurring  for long enough now for me to think it happens at random. I can  sometimes work for a long day without it happening. Then other times it  will occur 3 - 4 time in a day (every time I have to reboot to get the  sound back).

The computer in question is only used for work. I use my laptop for everything else.

Any ideas?

• 3. Re: Major problems with sound and memory
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Some suggestions...

If you look at the above link, there are two links included. Go to the second link and post your screenshots from Process Explorer. Do not use Task Manager please and attach your dxdiag.txt file. I'll have a look.

• 4. Re: Major problems with sound and memory
                bstockwin Level 1

Thanks again.

I am sorry about the complex nature of this problem.

Hope I have attached the right info.

Ben

SpeedFan.jpg

ProcessExplorer.jpg

• 5. Re: Major problems with sound and memory
                  Jim_Simon Level 9
                  (I am using the red lanes)

Use the black for less than 6 sticks.

Also, try changing out your speakers.

• 6. Re: Major problems with sound and memory
                    bstockwin Level 1

"Use the black for less than 6 sticks."

Are you sure about this? The current OCZ RAM I have only boots if it is in  the red lanes. The folks at Corsair new I was using the red lanes when I  posted the problem on their forum and did not mention anything about it  (maybe they did not read all of the query as it was very long). I am not certain about this myself.

It does not matter though as I don't know how to make the changes sugested to my to get the Corsair XMS RAM to work anyway (raising the voltage and enabling  XMP mode).

"Also, try changing out your speakers."

This is not a sound quality issue.

The play-heads on the programs freeze  up as does the vu meters in windows and the programs. I am using  Genelec powered monitors plugged directly into the Focusrite USB  interfase via some very high quality cables. I use the combination of  USB interface, my powered monitors and laptop on location with no  issues.

Thanks

B

• 7. Re: Major problems with sound and memory
                      Jim_Simon Level 9

My mistake.  Red is correct.  (Sorry about that.)

It should work out of the box, though, no BIOS adjustments necessary.  I used the same mobo and 3GB of the same RAM without issue.  At this point, I wonder if you have some bad sticks.

Those are good speakers.

• 8. Re: Major problems with sound and memory
                        bstockwin Level 1

"My mistake.  Red is correct.  (Sorry about that.)"

No problems...

"It should work out of the box, though, no BIOS adjustments necessary.  I used the same mobo and 3GB of the same RAM without issue.  At this point, I wonder if you have some bad sticks."

I have tried all the sticks individually and they work fine. As soon as I add more than one stick the computer wont boot.

I have done some reading in this forum about memory. Starting to make a bit more sense. I will continue to read.

"Those are good speakers."

It was a while before I could get them. Really glad I did. A great investment.

Thanks

Ben

• 9. Re: Major problems with sound and memory
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

It looks pretty normal. Maybe disable AVAST when running PR will help because it steals a lot of CPU power.

What is Gretech doing on your system?

• 10. Re: Major problems with sound and memory
                            Jim_Simon Level 9

Have you tried restoring your BIOS to it's default values?  I wonder if any changes were made to accommodate the OCZ, and those changes are now interfering with the Corsair.

Like I said, I used that same memory in that same mobo without any BIOS adjustments needed.

• 11. Re: Major problems with sound and memory
                              bstockwin Level 1

Thanks son much for taking the time to have a look. It is interesting that all seems ok.... I have theory as to what might be causing the problem.

I took the computer to one of my friend’s office before Christmas. I used it there for 3 days without any problems. I thought I was just lucky. I remembered from a long time ago that that the room I use in my house as an office is on a different ring-main to the rest of the house (it’s an extension). It turned out that the electrician that I used to do the extension was not operating with whatever legal qualifications he was meant to have (He got caught out by someone I know). I completely forgot about it. So...

I tried running an extension plug from another room last night to power the computer. I have used it for about 9 hours so far without any problems. I will need to continue this test for a while longer to know I have solved the problem. I am going to get someone to look at the room electrics anyway.

Is it possible that the power could cause problem like the one I have been having?

I did read somewhere that inconsistent power could cause the processor to do some odd things. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think using the power in the room at all is a good idea until I have had it checked properly.

I will give at a couple more days, then all going well I will post another comment here.

“What is Gretech doing on your system?”

This is GOM player. It plays all my raw files off my cameras effortlessly. I really like it.

“It looks pretty normal. Maybe disable AVAST when running PR will help because it steals a lot of CPU power.”

I am happy with the performance I get at the moment. I tent to shoot only in 720. The computer copes very well when editing. I am going to upgrade to cs5 soon (that’s why I have recently got a GTX 460. I am hoping to have a go at the hack).

“Have you tried restoring your BIOS to it's default values?  I wonder if any changes were made to accommodate the OCZ, and those changes are now interfering with the Corsair.

Like I said, I used that same memory in that same mobo without any BIOS adjustments needed.“

I only had a look at the bios. I never saved. It should be the same as it was when I bought it.

Since the corsair ram does not seem to want to work without some tweaking I am tempted to buy 3 sticks of 4 gb OCZ ram instead ready for when I get CS5 and keep my finger crossed that it will work ok (I can send the corsair ram back according to the place I bought it from).

Thank again

Ben