6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2011 6:01 PM by laxmidi

XML or MySQL Database: Which is Better for SEO

laxmidi

Hi,

I've got a Flex 3 trivia game site, www.brainpinata.com. I load questions and answers from a database. Unfortunately, Google doesn't index content from a db as I understand it.

Would it be better for SEO, if I loaded the content from an XML file? Would Google index more of the content? Or would it make no difference?

Thank you.

-Laxmidi

• 1. Re: XML or MySQL Database: Which is Better for SEO
          SpaghettiCoder Level 3

Are you indexing the question/answer or do you just want google to find your game and index it as such?

• 2. Re: XML or MySQL Database: Which is Better for SEO
            laxmidi Level 1

Hi SpaghettiCoder,

Thank you for the message.

I thought that by making the questions/answers indexable, it would increase my SERP. As I understand it, Google doesn't see any of the data in my database, which is basically the whole site.

When I look under Google Webmaster Tools-->Your Site on the Web --> Keywords, there aren't any keywords.

Also, if I search Google for the name of my site, Brain Piñata, it finds it. If I search for any related terms, it won't find me.

I'd love to hear any suggestions that you might have. Thanks for taking the time to try to help me.

-Laxmidi

www.brainpinata.com

• 3. Re: XML or MySQL Database: Which is Better for SEO
              SpaghettiCoder Level 3

I'd probably Create a html page, with SEO related stuff around, and embed the game in the page...create external html info, help section, etc...etc..

Or if you hate HTML as much as I do, look at something like swfaddress for the info/help section in your pure flex app...

indexing the question and answer part just doesn't make sense, but getting the search engine to your game does make sense.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: XML or MySQL Database: Which is Better for SEO
                aktell2007 Level 1

Hi there,

Well, As Is you wont have a Sh....Show in Hell to be noticed in any Search. Below some of the code on your site !

I can't see a TITLE ??? DESCRIPTION is writen as Keywords with commas and two full stops, but should be a sentence or two or three DESCRIBING what you are intent of doing (with the site) which would than go under 'Extract'.

These would be Key phrases NOT Key words:

multiple  choice trivia questions, online trivia games,

URL: http://www.brainpinata.com/#view=15

Title:

Description: Play fun trivia games. Interesting quizzes. Smart Trivia. Smashing Fun.

Keywords: trivia, trivia questions, trivia games,  photo trivia, quiz, questions, online trivia, trivia quiz, multiple  choice trivia questions, online trivia games, games, trivia quizzes,  fun, learn, test, cats, geography

Size: 5441

Text: body   margin    px  overflow hidden                 advertisements   display none

Number of words: 10

Number of distinct words: 9

Links:

1. http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash/

If you want help and can't find my E-mail address here go to my aktell.deviantart.com account - profile page and send me an E-mail.

regards aktell

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: XML or MySQL Database: Which is Better for SEO
                  laxmidi Level 1

Hi SpaghettiCoder,

Thank you for the suggestions. (I like working in Flex, too. If I had to put the questions and answers in an HTML page, I'd have trouble as I don't know javascript).

• 6. Re: XML or MySQL Database: Which is Better for SEO
                    laxmidi Level 1

Hi aktell,

Thank you for your message. I went to deviantart and took a look at your website and I saw that you use quite a few more tags than I have. So, I have some more work to do.

One question: Do you use a sitemap on your Flex sites?

Thanks,

-Laxmidi