9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2011 3:53 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere elements 3, 9 and sony dcr pc120e

moose8073 Level 1

I have a sony DCR PC 120 E which I have successfully used on my old PC.  I have with good results been taking the tapes to work, uploading using a dedicated tape player  and using premiere 3. 

During the summer I bought a new PC, and Premiere elements 9 with a veiw to being able to prepare DVD's at home.

I now find I cant get the Sony DV to upload to pc.

Can I use the work machine to upload files to portable hard drive and bring them home to use/edit on version 9?

• 1. Re: Premiere elements 3, 9 and sony dcr pc120e
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

There should be no problem with this workflow, with just a few caveats:

• The Captured files will be about 13GB / hour, so large.
          • Depending on the connection type for the external, you may, or may not be able to edit directly off the external. USB will be very slow, and can be prone to problems with reads/writes. The answer would be to copy the files over to an internal HDD, or use a connection, like FW-800, or eSATA.
          • If you are using both PrPro and PrE, remember that PrPro Projects will never Open in PrE. One might have better results with a PrE Project into PrPro, but maybe not. So much will depend on the Project, and on the version numbers of those two programs.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Looks like you might be ONLY using PrE, as the MOD's moved this to the PrE forum. If that is true, then ignore the PrPro - PrE comments.

• 2. Re: Premiere elements 3, 9 and sony dcr pc120e
            moose8073 Level 1

Both are elements, 3 at work and 9 at home.

I have at work been able to quite quickly insert chapters etc but this is just scraping the surface of the tools available.  I cant get the camera to work so reverting to work was merely a means of getting the file to my home PC.  If I continue to do my tapes at work they will always be simple films or I will end up staying late into the night when I should be at home with the family.

If 3 will let me up load it to then bring it home to my 9 on the home machine then great.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Premiere elements 3, 9 and sony dcr pc120e
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For the Captured files only, there should be no problems. Now, with the PREL (Project files), I would advise against trying to get PrE 3 PREL's to Open correctly in PrE 9, and of course, going from PrE 9 to PrE 3 will not work. As you only mentioned the Capture files, I assume that you are aware of the issues with the PREL files from various versions.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I'd also be interested in hearing why you cannot  Capture from your camera in both versions. If you would like to explore that, I'm hopeful that someone here could solve that problem too.

• 4. Re: Premiere elements 3, 9 and sony dcr pc120e
                moose8073 Level 1

now that might be where I am going wrong.  I captured the video then saved it as a project.

What would you suggest once I have captured it?

• 5. Re: Premiere elements 3, 9 and sony dcr pc120e
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

When one does a Capture, they have two separate items:

1. A Project file (PREL), which is an XML database with links to the Assets and processing instructions - no media
                  2. The physical AV files Captured - not contained in the PREL, but separate.

This ARTICLE will offer more background.

One needs the AV files, i.e. the DV-AVI files that were Captured.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere elements 3, 9 and sony dcr pc120e
                    moose8073 Level 1

Bill

thanks a lot.  Tried it today, and captured AVI files to portable hard drive and brought them home.  Opened 9 and hey presto it accepted them.  Clearly the key is at the end of the capture is not to do the logical thing, which we all do, and that is to save it.  If I close it then I am just left with the files in AVI format and then they import just as easily as they would into ver 3.

Thanks.

Still got sony to work on!

• 7. Re: Premiere elements 3, 9 and sony dcr pc120e
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

So very glad to have helped, and glad that it worked.

Don't have any thoughts immediately on the Sony, but I am sure that others will.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere elements 3, 9 and sony dcr pc120e
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You do not mention your OS

If you are using Win7 do a forum search for the word "legacy" without the " "

You need to change the default Win7 firewire driver to the one with legacy in the name, to get firewire to work properly

• 9. Re: Premiere elements 3, 9 and sony dcr pc120e
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Good one John T. Hadn't even thought of that, and I did an ARTICLE on it with Win7-64 - duh! 

Thank you,

Hunt