2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2011 3:38 AM by Dave Merchant

Pdf conversion limitation in Adobe X

waqnis Level 1

Is there option to use an earlier version?

After downloading Adobe X (described as "free") found that it only permits 5 pdf conversions.  $9.99 per month thereafter.

My usage is limited but could exceed 5 conversions.

While Adobe X is great, I don't need all the bells and whistles and would like to use an earlier version.

• 1. Re: Pdf conversion limitation in Adobe X
          CtDave Level 5

Adobe Reader, a free download, does not provide any convert to PDF function.

A link for download of Adobe Reader is at: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

A free account at acrobat.com does provide a limited number of "convert to PDF".

The acrobat.com related forum is at: http://forums.adobe.com/community/acrobatdotcom

Be well...

• 2. Re: Pdf conversion limitation in Adobe X
            Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I assume you are referring to the "CreatePDF" link in Adobe Reader X, which takes you to the online service at createpdf.acrobat.com. This is a completely independent offering and has a subscription fee, as do the other Adobe Online Services after your initial trial session. Although there's a button on the Reader X interface, it's not part of the Reader installation.

It's not the only way to make PDF files, as of course many applications export them natively (Office, Photoshop, etc.) and there are third-party PDF virtual printers available - CreatePDF is intended to offer an inexpensive way to produce Adobe-generated PDF files without the investment in Adobe Acrobat, as there are a number of places (online print shops, etc.) which will only accept PDFs created using Adobe software. Naturally there is a cost associated with the online service - it's not ad-funded like Faceboo - but you don't have to use it if you don't want to.