12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2011 12:20 PM by Colin Brougham

Encoding Resolution Question

Rkenosha Level 1

Hi, I shoot my video through a Nano-Flash. The files are recorded at 220 megabits per second. Usually when encoding, I use 2 pass mpeg and 80megabits per second. My question, is that the highest quality acheivable with CS5 for output. Thanks Roman

• 1. Re: Encoding Resolution Question
          Jim_Simon Level 8

The highest quality would be Uncomprssed, or some other lossless format like Lagarith or UT.

• 2. Re: Encoding Resolution Question
            Rkenosha Level 1

A follow up question. How would one install and use the two codecs you suggested. Would they be viewable on a hd tv using a computer as the source.? Thanks Roman

• 3. Re: Encoding Resolution Question
              Colin Brougham Level 6

How would one install and use the two codecs you suggested.

Lagarith and Ut Video Codec

Would they be viewable on a hd tv using a computer as the source.?

What exactly are you trying to do? Knowing this will allow us to make better recommendations.

• 4. Re: Encoding Resolution Question
                Jim_Simon Level 8

So long as the computer itself is capable of getting an image onto the HDTV, then yes, any codec you have on the computer will show up on the TV.

• 5. Re: Encoding Resolution Question
                  Rkenosha Level 1

Thanks for the tip on the two codecs. Are they self, explantory as to how they are to be installed?

What I plan to do is I would like to show the final video on a

HDTV monitor. I may be wrong, but since the source material is 220mbps,

I would like to encode in the highest quality possible. Thanks Roman

• 6. Re: Encoding Resolution Question
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Yes, they both come with regular installers--though they are Windows only installers and codecs. You didn't mention whether you're on Mac or PC, but that is a consideration. Note that you need the 64-bit versions for CS5; Lagarith installs both with one installer, whereas you need to install both the 32-bit and 64-bit verisons of Ut.

They're both simple to use. Just select Microsoft AVI as your format, and the codecs (when properly installed) will appear in the codec dropdown. There are no bitrates to set: just choose your dimensions and frame rate and go. The files will be large, of course. Be sure that you can playback smoothly once the files are created; Ut is probably a little more efficient on playback than Lagarith is, as it receives regular updates and optimizations.

• 7. Re: Encoding Resolution Question
                      Rkenosha Level 1

Colin, Thanks for your help. I did leave out some useful information. I am using wWindows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I did the

the Lagarith installed. I also encoded a test file. My only problem was the frame sie. 1620x1080 is all I could get. I will install the UT shortly and try that. Thanks again Roman

• 8. Re: Encoding Resolution Question
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

1620x1080 is all I could get.

Hmm, that's peculiar--Lagarith should be, for all practical purposes, capable of handling whatever dimensions you throw at it. I'm assuming that you're after something like 1920x1080? Make sure that you have the aspect ratio "link" unchecked, so that you can freely enter your dimensions. Also, check your Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR); you can either use the PAR of your original footage (if it's non-square) or use square pixels. Typically, for computer playback like you're talking about, you'll want to use square pixels and set your dimensions to whatever would be full raster for your particular format. What are the properties of your original footage/sequence?

Just as example (your might not want these settings specifically), but here you can see that Lagarith can be set to full raster 1080i HD:

lagarith.png

• 9. Re: Encoding Resolution Question
                          Rkenosha Level 1

Colin,

I have been able to set the final raster at 1920 x 1080. I do however need to use the square pixel setting. The original files are 1920 x 1080. I will give it another go this afternoon. Thanks you very much for your responses.

Roman

• 10. Re: Encoding Resolution Question
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

I would highly suggest using Ut for these files, then--it performs far better than Lagarith on playback. Compression-wise, they are similar, but Ut is far more optimized than Lagarith is. This is especially important when dealing with full-raster HD.

• 11. Re: Encoding Resolution Question
                              Rkenosha Level 1

Thanks again. One more question. What would be the optimum settings in UT to play back on

Wondows Media player? If there are any. I did use the square pixels. In UT I choose the uncompressed 8 bit as opposed to the x64 options. Thanks again Roman

• 12. Re: Encoding Resolution Question
                                Colin Brougham Level 6

In UT I choose the uncompressed 8 bit as opposed to the x64 options.

Ummm... no. That's the wrong codec. All of the Ut codecs start with, obviously, "Ut Video Codec." The "x64" part means that they are 64-bit codecs--it's just the way the author named them. You HAVE to use 64-bit codecs for AVI export (and import) in Premiere, so the options you're seeing are correct. This is what you should see:

utcodecs.png

I'd start with the RGB version, and see how that plays back for you. Try the YUV422 version if you have troubles with the first. Note that you need to install the 32-bit package of the Ut codecs to playback in Windows Media Player. You'll have to do your own testing on this, because it will largely depend on your playback computer's capabilties what it will be able to handle.