2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2011 6:39 AM by SuiteSpot

Thrill+Sadness - missing things and grey areas let air out of ballon a bit.

work@texasterry.net

Hi, I'm a huge Audition fan, and have preached its power all the way to pre Cool Edit Pro 1.0 days. Proving to corp that Audition could do more than the Orban Audicy about 10 years ago is the reason that most of CBS stations use Adobe Audition today.

I watched the preview videos with wide eyes and geek chills running down my spine... So much so, the new laptop I had planned buying changed to a Mac Book Pro instantly. I could not wait to get the Beta, to touch it, feel it, and work with it. From what I have been able to play with, I really like some of the changes... Thank you for killing the "automation lane thingie", also thanks for the huge jump in multi processor support, loading and processing things while editing is also something I look forward to playing with. Seriously guys I can go on for hours on how cool and exciting some of this is, I just wish there were not "buts"

Buuuuut, that's the problem I guess, some of the missing features makes it unusable to do more than play with, and I have way to much work and freelance to "play" with a NLE that the result is 100% unusable due to the problems below. Being a fan also makes one sometime a bit high on expectation, and sometimes even harsh on criticism... So please understand all this comes from love.

First stumbling block: not being able to load 3.0 sessions. Sure I understand it's a beta, and the OS is new to Audition, but this is a make or break core feature so I hope there isn't any thoughts that it's something that can be left out. Next bummer drag, no Audio Preview when importing to multi-track, nor loading in waveform view, a feature I use more than every day, I literally use that feature every hour. Then I found you can't preview at all in the "Files" tab. Again, all the producers I know use this extensively, another feature that scares me being left out in beta. After some super strange changes in 3.0, this one started to make me scared as to who you visited to see what features were important. After that I found some things that made sense as to not make it into the Beta, but seemed important enough to mention.

Why write all this? Well it's not to pick on Audition, or to harsh on designers who built it, quite the opposite, kudos guys, amazing work... but I'm getting a new rig at the station quite soon, and the some of the odd changes in 3.0 moved folks to ProTools. I have 10 years of sessions, somewhere around 25,000 imaging elements, plus 8-9 years of commercials, and 10 years of freelance in Auditions sessions on hard drive, mirrored at my studio in the station, and home studio. That being said, for me there are features that are game breakers, things that to much a part of my work flow.

Missing features, that are 100% game breakers if they don't make it into the final build:

·      100% ability to load and save 4.0 and 3.0 sessions in Mac and PC versions, and bounce in between versions and OS

·      Audio preview on audio import/load with auto play (the file browser)

·      Audio preview in Files tab with auto play (the file browser)

·      Phase display like previous Auditions

·      At least the same level of keyboard mapping functionality (there are quite a few commands in this Beta that you can not change, that you can in 3.0)

Oh, and if there’s any free time during the crunch and march to gold code, could ya throw in Import/Export of Keymaps and Preferences? I've seen on forum wish lists since at least Audition 1.5, and in setting up all our stations studios, even just in town, it would save HOURS of time. Then even more hours ever time someone messes it up and calls for help.

Please understand this comes from a place of love for Audition, and the desire for it to become the NLE that rules all. But now I must jump my Mac into Windows, so I can work on a corprate project, I would sooo love to play with this in 4.0 Mac... But this is a project for the top of the food chain in the company, the deadline is short, and I must master this... needing the plugins on my desktops....... plus the Mic chain, digital IO, AD-DAs, UAD2 dsp love, and so on, yup all on the desktop. So for today, the “Mac”ness and “4.0” love, are little more than a tease… a hot, amazingly seductive tease… But a true tease, cause I can’t go all the way. And I pray, PRAY for no “Crying Game” surprise.

• 1. Re: Thrill+Sadness - missing things and grey areas let air out of ballon a bit.
          Charles VW Adobe Employee

Thanks for the feedback!

texas terry_syn wrote:

First stumbling block: not being able to load 3.0 sessions. Sure I understand it's a beta, and the OS is new to Audition, but this is a make or break core feature so I hope there isn't any thoughts that it's something that can be left out.

I think as an interim solution for the public beta, the folks at AATranslator are working on a solution for this.  You might want to send them an email.

Next bummer drag, no Audio Preview when importing to multi-track, nor loading in waveform view, a feature I use more than every day, I literally use that feature every hour. Then I found you can't preview at all in the "Files" tab. Again, all the producers I know use this extensively, another feature that scares me being left out in beta. After some super strange changes in 3.0, this one started to make me scared as to who you visited to see what features were important. After that I found some things that made sense as to not make it into the Beta, but seemed important enough to mention.

Yep, we've received lots of feedback about this.  I'll add your notes to this feature.

·      Audio preview on audio import/load with auto play (the file browser)

You can use the OSX QuickLook feature by pressing the [ Spacebar ] when a particular file is selection in the File > Open dialog.  Note that on some older versions of OSX, this caused some instability in Audition and some other applications.  Apple fixed this in the most recent versions of Snow Leopard.

·      Phase display like previous Auditions

Which ones were most useful from previous versions of Audition?   Which ones could you do without?  I'm assuming you've seen the current Phase Meter panel.

·      At least the same level of keyboard mapping functionality (there are quite a few commands in this Beta that you can not change, that you can in 3.0)

Can you send me a list of the specifics you're referencing?  Thx.

Oh, and if there’s any free time during the crunch and march to gold code, could ya throw in Import/Export of Keymaps and Preferences? I've seen on forum wish lists since at least Audition 1.5, and in setting up all our stations studios, even just in town, it would save HOURS of time. Then even more hours ever time someone messes it up and calls for help.

The keyboard shortcuts live in an XML file you can move around.   Set the keyboard shortcuts you like.   Then save that as a specific preset.   Then look in the following folder:

/Users/<USER_NAME>/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Audition/4.0/Shortcuts/

• 2. Re: Thrill+Sadness - missing things and grey areas let air out of ballon a bit.
            SuiteSpot Level 4

@texas terry_syn

If you need some AA3 (or earlier) sessions converted to XML so that you can load them into the AA4 beta to have a play then by all means contact me via the aatranslator web site and I will gladly convert them for you.