18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2011 1:53 AM by lanikai247

Unable to see converted NEF to DNG files in Photoshop CS

lanikai247

Aloha, my laptop recently crashed and I am in the midst of trying to restore my laptop to the way it was.  I am using Photoshop CS and back in December 2009 I downloaded DNG converter.  I am using a Nikon D90, shooting in RAW.  I don't recall what I did after downloading the DNG converter but I was able to convert the NEF files to DNG by simpling clicking on the DNG icon, selecting the file and click convert and the NEF were converted to DNG files.  I was able to use my Photoshop CS with these covverted files.  In the restoration of my laptop, I loaded my Photoshop CS program and then did a search on-line for the DNG converter.  I found a 5.6 version and later a 6.3 version.  I first downloaded the 5.6 version.  I then clicked on the icon, selected the files and click convert.  I can see the NEF photos being converted.  However, when I went into my Photoshop CS program, I did not see any DNG files even though I saw the files being converted.  I downloaded the 6.3 version and got the same results.  I also went into Change Preference and selected Camera Raw 2.4 and later.  But I though I am seeing the files being converted to DNG, I do not see any of those converted photos in my Photoshop CS program.  Can anyone help me?  Am I missing a step or two?  I would appreciate y'all expertise in this matter.  Also, anyone knows how to uninstall one of these DNG converters I downloaded?  Thank you very much, Ron

• 1. Re: Unable to see converted NEF to DNG files in Photoshop CS
          JimHess-ra2Osl Level 3

After you reinstalled Photoshop, did you download and install Camera Raw 2.4?  The first couple of versions of ACR 2.x were not capable of reading DNG files at all.

• 2. Re: Unable to see converted NEF to DNG files in Photoshop CS
            lanikai247 Level 1

I reloaded my Photoshop CS, then I loaded my camera Nikon software that

includes the Nikon Transfer and the ViewNX.  Then I downloaded the DNG 2.4

version.  I am still unable to view or open any of my NEF files.  Also, I

was able to view all the NEF files that were converted to DNG on my

Photoshop CS but not any more.  What is interesting is that when I reloaded

both my Photoshop CS and my Nikon software (I'm using a Nikon D90), I could

only see my NEF files, no DNG files.  I uninstalled both software and

reloaded it again.  This time I saw for an instant my converted files but

then it shrunk to a very tiny picture.  I clicked that photo but again, it

will not open.  I am at a lost as what I should do now.

I originally was using a Canon S50, shooting in JPEG which worked fine with

my Photoshop CS.  However, when I started my Nikon D90 back in December 2009

and shooting in RAW, I was not able to few any photos.  I discovered I

needed to use a DNG converter.  I simply went on-line, found the DNG

converter, downloaded it, click on the icon DNG, selected the folder, click

on convert, and the photos in that folder would be seen in my Photoshop CS

and listed as DNG files.  The NEF files were still there but you could not

see any picture.

When my laptop crashed over the holiday, I thought it would be simple just

to reload my Photoshop CS, then my Nikon software, then go on-line and look

for the DNG converter and download that.  But, before I even tried

converting my files to DNG, I noticed I was not able to see any of the

converted DNG photos that I did for the past year. I have some work I needed

to do on my "old" photos I've taken and new photos that I've recently taken,

some I already transferred to my laptop and others still on my memory card.

This frustration and time got me thinking of somehow borrowing some money

and upgrade my Photoshop to CS5, but I prefer not to due to the expense even

if the cost is just for an upgrade and not the entire Photoshop C5 program.

I would appreciate any step by step assistance to help me try and resolve

this issue so I can work on my projects.

Thank you very much

• 3. Re: Unable to see converted NEF to DNG files in Photoshop CS
              JimHess-ra2Osl Level 3

You don't want to be using DNG converter version 2.4.  It only supports the same set of cameras that was supported by ACR 2.4.  You always want to use the latest version of the DNG converter.  Presently that is version 6.3.  After you have installed that version look at the options and make sure you choose the appropriate compatibility.  Then you should be able to convert your raw files and edit them in Photoshop CS.  However, you do you want to make sure you have installed ACR 2.4.

• 4. Re: Unable to see converted NEF to DNG files in Photoshop CS
                lanikai247 Level 1

Aloha Jim,

I went on Google and typed in DNG 6.3 converter.  The following appears:

Product Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter Version 6.3 Platform Windows File

Name DNGConverter_6_3.exe File Size 50.6MB

Proceed to Download<http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=4924&fileID=4585>

I click on the proceed to download.  The follow appears.

Camera_Raw_6_3_updater.zip - ZIP archive, unpacked size 37,629,269 bytes

I assume I'm supposed click on this icon that looks like three stacks of

books and having the information next to it, Camera_Raw_6_3_updater.zip -

ZIP archive, unpacked size 37,629,269 bytes.  After clicking on the icon, I

come on a window that says, Camera_Raw_6_3_updater.zip - WinRAR (evaluation

copy).  In that window there are 4 folders. The first one does not have any

information except for 2 dots.  The second folder is labeled META -INF.  The

third folder says, payloads and the last is like a window, rectangular in

shape, white at the bottom 3/4 and the top portion is blue.  It is labeled

AdobePatchInstaller.exe.  Again, I am assuming I am suppose to click this. I

click it and then it looks like it is updating something, then a window that

says, Adobe Application Manger comes on which says, some updates failed to

install.  Another messages says, update is not applicable.  I don't recall

what I did next...tried other things but I finally got the icon (circular,

the top 1/3 white with 4 red letters, the bottom 2/3 greenish with a blue

arrow pointing down.  It is labeled as DNGConverter_6_3.  I clicked this

icon and get this open file - security warning window.  It states, the

publisher could not be verified.  Are you sure you want to run this

software.  Name: DNGConverter_6_3.exe. Publisher: Unknown Publisher; Type

Application; From C:\Documents and Settings\(other info.  I click on the Run

button  I then get an error message saying, Installer integrity -check has

failed.  Common causes include incomplete download and damaged media.

Contact the installer's author to obtain a new copy.  More information at:

http://nsis.sf.net/NSIS_error.

I don't know what to do.  Back in December of 2009, all I did was downloaded

the DNG file that I found on Google, click on the DNG icon, and my NEF were

converted so I could see it in my Photoshop CS.

Am I doing anything wrong.  I would prefer not to invest $200 for Photoshop

CS5 since Photoshop CS along with DNG converter were meeting my needs.  I

know it may take some time to write this but perhaps could you write down

the step by step process you would do from searching for the DNG converter,

selecting the converter, downloading the converter, activate it so

everything is set up for use with the Photoshop CS.  I would appreciate it

very much.  It has been very frustrating and time consuming in trying to

resolve this issue.  I thought it would be so simple setting it up like the

first time when I first installed it.

Thanks again for responding to this matter.  I appreciate it very much.

Aloha

• 5. Re: Unable to see converted NEF to DNG files in Photoshop CS
                  JimHess-ra2Osl Level 3

The update for the DNG converter that I downloaded was a single EXE file. I just double clicked on that file and the converter was installed in the Adobe folder in Program Files. I had downloaded the latest version, but hadn't installed it until just a few minutes ago after I read your message. It was a very simple installation. Where did you get the zip file?

• 6. Re: Unable to see converted NEF to DNG files in Photoshop CS
                    lanikai247 Level 1

Thanks for the response.  Maybe I should start from the beginning.  I don't

know of any way to uninstall the DNG files I downloaded except to just

locate the files, highlight it and then press the delete button.

What I can't understand why things got so complicated for me.  Perhaps I am

just confused by the entire process.

I am using Photoshop CS and began shooting in RAW when I purchased a Nikon

D90.  At first I couldn't view the pictures of my NEF.  I checked some

information I backed up and it seems like I originally used the DNG 2.4 back

in December 2009.  It was very simple.  I downloaded it, clicked on the

icon, selected the folder, press the convert, and my NEF files were turned

into DNG files.  Of course it took up space in my external hard drives

because I technically had duplicate files.

Since my laptop crashed and I just got it restarted and still in the process

of trying to restore my laptop fairly close to the way it was.

I'm going to delete the DNG files I downloaded recently and start over.

This is my plan of action and see if that is the correct procedure.

First, I go on Google.com and type in Adobe DNG 6.3 converter. This will

present me with websites I can select from.  The one I see that may be

appropriate is, "Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter: For Windows:

Adobe

This will take me to the Adobe site that says, "Downloads."

File Information  Product Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter Version 6.3

Platform Windows File Name DNGConverter_6_3.exe File Size 50.6MB

Proceed to Download<http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=4924&fileID=4585>

I then press Proceed to Download.

Adobe DNG Converter 6.3 update File Information

Product Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter Version 6.3 Platform Windows File

Name DNGConverter_6_3.exe File Size 50.6MB Download Est. 2 hrs, 19 mins @

56K modem

18 mins, 49 secs @ DSL

4 mins, 42 secs @ T1

Download Now<http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/dng/win/DNGConverter_6_3.exe>

This is the next window I see.  I click Download Now.  It then asked me to

save or run.  I tried both.  I pressed run and I get an NSIS error.  I saved

it and then try to run it and I an another NSIS error.

Would you mind telling what you did, step by step?  I would like to follow

your procedures and see what I may have been during incorrectly.

Thanks again.

• 7. Re: Unable to see converted NEF to DNG files in Photoshop CS
                      JimHess-ra2Osl Level 3

Actually, I followed the exact same steps that you did.  Perhaps all you have to do is keep trying to download until you get it without an error.  The file that I downloaded was an EXE file, and all I had to do is run that file and it installed the DNG converter in the Adobe folder under Program Files.

You could not have converted NEF files from a D90 with DNG converter 2.4.  The converter only supports the same cameras that are supported by the same version of Camera Raw.  ACR 2.4 is the last version of Camera Raw that was supported by Photoshop CS.  But you do not have to coordinate the version number of the DNG converter.  You always want to be using the latest version, as it will support the most cameras.  And it is possible to create DNG files with that latest converter that can be opened with ACR 2.4 and later.  You just have to make sure in the DNG converter dialog that you choose the appropriate option.

• 8. Re: Unable to see converted NEF to DNG files in Photoshop CS
                        JimHess-ra2Osl Level 3

Just to verify that what I told you is true, I just went through the whole process again.  Here is what I did:
                        1.  Click on the download reference at the top of the DNG forum.
                        2.  On the right-hand side of the Digital Negative (DNG) window, I clicked on "Adobe DNG Converter for Windows."
                        3.  On the 6.3 update window I scrolled down to where there was a button labeled, "Proceed to Download."
                        4.  I clicked on the button labeled Download Now.
                        5.  Following the download, I clicked on the DNGConverter_6_3.exe that was now on my desktop.
                        6.  The DNG converter was installed in Program Files/Adobe.

That is really all there was to it.  There were no multiple files to deal with.  The DNG converter installer installs the program and some profiles.  But you don't see any of that.  You shouldn't have to be dealing with multiple files inside of a zip file.  So I don't really understand what you are doing wrong.  And as far as uninstalling goes, there is no routine to do that.  Just locate the DNG converter and delete it.

• 9. Re: Unable to see converted NEF to DNG files in Photoshop CS
                          lanikai247 Level 1

I repeated the same steps and continue to get this NSIS error.  However,

finally, I was able to download the program.  If I understand it, I am

suppose to click on the "Change Preference" button.  I am using a Nikon D90

and Photoshop CS program.  I assume I am suppose to change the preference.

Do I select 2.4 and later since I see a notation, "The DNG file will be

readable by Camera Raw 2.4 (Photoshop CS) and later, and Lightroom 1.9 and

later?  Also, There is a selection, "Preview JPEG Preview".  I can't recall

what I originally selected, medium or full size.  I don't understand the

difference.  Lastly, under Original Raw File, you can check a box under

"Embed Original Raw File".  I am not sure what this is about so I am not

sure what I should do.

I tried converting the files under the change the preference to 4.6 but

though I see the process of the files being converted to DNG, I do not see

it in my Photoshop CS program when I browsed the file.  In fact, all of my

previous files that I converted to DNG since December 2009 does not appear

in my Photoshop CS program.  The only thing I can see when I browse my photo

files are very tiny photos of my NEF files but no converted DNG files.  When

I click on the tiny NEF photos, I get an error messages stating, "Could not

complete your request because it is not the right kind of document."

Now that I finally was able to download the DNG converter, do you know what

I am suppose to do next to first, be able to see all my previous and recent

DNG converted files.  I tried converting some files that originally started

with 4 NEF files.  I can see the conversion of the NEF files to DNG.  I also

see some previous converted DNG files being converted again to DNG.

However, when I go into my Photoshop CS and go into that file, I only see

the tiny NEF files and no converted DNG files.

Do you know what I should do?

I thank you for taking the time in helping me resolve the downloading of the

DNG converter.    I hope you have the time to see what I need to do to see

my converted DNG files.

Thanks again for your help.

• 10. Re: Unable to see converted NEF to DNG files in Photoshop CS
                            lanikai247 Level 1

I know you mention about installing a ACR 2.4.  Where do you get ACR 2.4 and

where and how do you install it?  Thanks again.

• 11. Re: Unable to see converted NEF to DNG files in Photoshop CS
                              JimHess-ra2Osl Level 3

lanikai247 wrote:

I know you mention about installing a ACR 2.4.  Where do you get ACR 2.4 and

where and how do you install it?  Thanks again.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=2698&fileID=2535

You will find the installation instructions on that web site.  Follow them closely.  Make sure you put the new converter in the exact folder.

Actually, the instructions are not on that page.  I will have to find them for you later because I have to leave for work now.

• 12. Re: Unable to see converted NEF to DNG files in Photoshop CS
                                JimHess-ra2Osl Level 3

I don't know why, but I have a difficult time finding the download page for previous versions.  However, this is the path where you should find camera raw on your computer:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS\File Formats

Replace the Camera Raw.8bi that is in that folder with Camera Raw 2.4.  Let me know if that helps.

• 13. Re: Unable to see converted NEF to DNG files in Photoshop CS
                                  lanikai247 Level 1

I clicked on this site you listed:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=2698&fileID=2535but

I noticed it says Japanese. Can I still use this?

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS\File Formats.  I clicked on

the C drive and I followed this path but once I got to Adobe I did not see

Plug-Ins\CS\File Formats.

Thanks

• 14. Re: Unable to see converted NEF to DNG files in Photoshop CS
                                    JimHess-ra2Osl Level 3

If that was the wrong language then Google DNG converter 2.4 English and see if you can find it.  That's what I did (without English).  I would suggest doing a search on your computer for the file named Camera Raw.8bi.  I suspect that you don't even have it installed.  In your searching on Google look for Dng Converter 2.4 installation instructions.  I think the path I gave you was correct, but I'm not 100% sure.  It may be necessary for you to create those folders that are missing from the path, and then put the Camera Raw plug in in that folder.  I know this is frustrating for you, but it really shouldn't be this difficult.

The problem is that you are using a very old version of Photoshop.  The Camera Raw features are comparatively very limited and most users have moved beyond Photoshop CS.  You would be well advised to move ahead to a newer version.  Only problem is, your version is so old that it doesn't qualify for upgrade pricing.

• 15. Re: Unable to see converted NEF to DNG files in Photoshop CS
                                      JimHess-ra2Osl Level 3

Okay, I've finally found the webpage I was looking for.  Go to the link below and scroll down the page until you get your version of Photoshop.  The Camera Raw downloads are listed, and you should be able to find the readme as you go through the process.  Follow the installation instructions exactly.  Let me know how things turned out.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Windows

• 16. Re: Unable to see converted NEF to DNG files in Photoshop CS
                                        lanikai247 Level 1

Hi Jim,

The last information you provided seems to have done the trick.  Thank you very much for all your help.  Not many people would have taken the time to help me with my issue.  A big burden have been lifted.  I am in the midst of deleting all the duplicate photos that were created whenever I tried to convert the files using the DNG converter.  But, that is such a small task compare to the ability to use my Photoshop CS again with my photographs.

I understand that I should find a way to purchase the lastest version of Photoshop, perhaps asking a student or teacher I know.

I tried responding through the private message you sent but I got an error message when I tried to send it.  Therefore, I had to go through this route.

Thanks again for your help.  Hope you have an awesome and blessed New Year.  God bless.

Aloha and blessings,

Ron

• 17. Re: Unable to see converted NEF to DNG files in Photoshop CS
                                          JimHess-ra2Osl Level 3

I'm glad you were able to finally get the issue resolved.  I understand how frustrating it can be when things sort of get out of sync, which is what happened to you.  I hope things go well for you.  Have a nice day.

• 18. Re: Unable to see converted NEF to DNG files in Photoshop CS
                                            lanikai247 Level 1

Yes, I'm glad my issue is finally resolved.  I enjoy talking photographs as

a hobby.  Most of my photographs are of the beauty of the Hawaiian

Islands...seascapes, landscapes, sunrises and sunsets.

My laptop is nearly restored to what it used to be.  I found out that those

backup programs don't quite work out the way I thought it would.  Thank God,

I moved majority of my important files to my external drives by dragging

instead of depending on the backup programs.

Again, I can't thank you enough for taking the time in helping me.  Not many

would be so patient and spending so much time until my issue was resolved.

I may consider our son's offer to purchase the complete Photoshop CS5

extended.  My wife said to go for it but I would really prefer to save the

money to purchase a brand new lens for my camera.  Of course, it is very

expensive.

Well, I wish you well for the coming New Year and years to come.

I've attached a few photos I took both with my Nikon D90 and my old Canon

S50.  I hope you can open them.

Thanks again.  In Hawaii, we say, "Mahalo."

God bless.

Ron