1 2 Previous Next 50 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2007 1:35 PM by matt_chotin

Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!

vgarud
      I downloaded the Flex 3 Trial in the last 2/3 days and today it already says Beta Expired! Earlier I had a Flex 2 Trial installed on the same machine which had expired. Dont know if it is related and how I can get back to trialing Flex 3?
      Has anybody else seen this issue?
        • 1. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
          Heidi Williams
          If you have a 2.0.1 serial number you can enter it and the product won't expire until October 31st. If you don't have a 2.0.1 serial number then there's no way to extend the FB 3 beta timeout period.

-Heidi
          • 2. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
            M.G.C.
            Here's the problem.

Flex 3 is still Beta. So why is it expiring at all??
            I am not about to pay a license fee for a Beta product, nor should I have to.
            There has to be a solution for this even if it's installing a newer beta version they what I currently have.
            I am using version 3.0.172437
            • 3. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
              cldr
              I agree with M.G.C.
              Flex 3 beta, even when used with license keys from Flex 2, expires on October 31st. This is because when the final relase is ready (which is scheduled at the last quarter of the year) you will need to buy a separate license for this product.
              There is nothing wrong with separate license for Flex 3 builder. Adobe is not charity and when they create a new product, they want to make money on it. The problem is that you have to buy license for Flex 2 to use Flex 3 beta, just to learn in a few months, that you need to buy another license for Flex 3.
              So if you want already start using Flex 3 in your production, you will have to pay for two licences. I don't consider it fair.
              • 4. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                mujahidzain
                hi there,

mee too facing the same problem this is simply strange on the one side they say that they are going to make open source and release beta versions with limited ...............................
                • 5. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                  matt_chotin Level 3
                  Hi,

We expect that the upgrade pricing from Flex Builder 2 to Flex Builder 3 will be very reasonable, so if you like Flex Builder and want to continue using it you should consider purchasing Flex Builder 2 even if you want to continue using the beta. Because Flex Builder 3 is of high quality, having an unlimited trial would essentially provide a free copy of Flex Builder which is not something we can do.

Please note that it is the SDK that is open source and not the beta.

Matt
                  Adobe
                  • 6. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                    M.G.C. Level 1
                    I do not expect a FREE product. But I would expect the product to be free during the entire beta process.

I have beta tested for many companies. I have never had a beta product expire in 30 days. The quickest expiration I have ever had was 180 days. That is for most of the Windows betas. Even then, each new revision of the beta worked for another 180 days.

It would be nice if we could get a key that would expire in October or if the next beta release would just expire then.

Thanks,
                    Mike
                    • 7. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                      celebi23
                      I'm having the same problem. My copy expires in 9 days. Usually, with a beta product, it is "free" until the beta period is over. Same happend with VMWare Fusion, it's free until it is out of the beta/ RC period. I wish there was another way to just use this beta version until we know when the final version goes on sale without having to buy version 2.0 :(
                      • 8. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                        m.weasley
                        I totally understand the concept of a 30 day trial, but I don't get the concept of a trial BETA. I would never spend 30 consecutive days worth of attention on testing BETAs that aren't my own. Sounds like trying the BETA means you can't try final product either.
                        • 9. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                          TomEnokR
                          Matt,

You're pretty much in the minority here. We've all beta-tested products that didn't expire until the release date, so Adobe really doesn't have a precedent or a leg to stand on, and your argument is actually pretty weak.

A true 'beta' test is provided to weed out bugs, provide feedback, and generate interest.

With a 30-day trial of a beta, you're accomplishing none of that. I can't weed bugs if I can't dig heavily into an application. I can't provide feedback, because whatever fixes and updates you're going to provide before the final release, isn't something I can provide feedback on, as my trial period has ended. Finally, you are generating no interest from me, because you're acting stingy on our dime.

We're the ones willing to help 'beta' your application for the above reasons, which means it is a cooperative between ADOBE and us. It pretty much makes you sound like you think we are 'freeloaders' instead of an important part of your rollout.

I've beta-tested dozens of applications over the last 14 years, and I dare say, you're not really getting what a beta is for, and you're not really understanding the needs of your potential customers.

If you want to accomplish what you intend to accomplish with this beta, you will release a key that expires upon release-date, just like the other hundreds of companies that release beta's that expire on release date. If you don't want to accomplish that, then call this a pre-release 30-day trial and don't expect much attention.

It's just that simple.

-Shaun
                          • 10. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                            mojochris
                            Any word if the next beta will have a longer trial or simply reinstall and run for another 30 days?

Any idea about upgrade cost if I go ahead and buy flex 2 now (I've always used flash develop but I've moved to the mac)? Are we thinking around $200 or so. Seems silly to spend $700 just to use a product that will end up costing $500 , but if I can't wait I'll guess I'll do it. Personally I'd prefer to just keep testing the beta and then purchase a full $500 version once released. I'd also be interesting in pre-ordering Flex builder 3 now for the full price if it means I could continue on with the beta.

Just curious if anybody has heard anything....or if someone from Adobe would chime in.

C.
                            • 11. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                              ab1301 Level 1
                              I don't think adobe has to provide free anything, but I also don't think I should have to buy a product I'll never ever use, with the intention of never using it, and then pay MORE later, just so I can use the "public beta" now. The beta expires soon, so your not really giving it away, but if you are still that concerned about it, then you should give the new users the option of pre-ordering flex builder 3 now and continuing the beta, so that they are not required to pay twice for one piece of software, without even knowing how much the second payment is going to be (the "attractive upgrade price" is not even determined yet--what Adobe considers attractive pricing may not mesh with what we consider attractive, especially given the fact that Adobe considers $499 a reasonable price for a "free" beta).
                              • 12. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                matt_chotin Level 3
                                I'm sorry that I can't provide more info at this time but we will announce pricing before Flex 3 is released and there will be opportunities to get guaranteed upgrades when we make those announcements.

The next beta I believe will restart the 30 day clock.

Matt
                                Adobe
                                • 13. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                  awootton Level 1
                                  It's kind of a non issue for me, but I'll put in my two cents.
                                  Serious development is insanely expensive. It doesn't matter if it's corporate, or if you a doing a startup at home (how high is your rent? what was your salary? :-).
                                  When you are working on a project all day, everyday, 30 days is an eternity.
                                  I hated to pay Adobe, but I did. I will again. I am their bread and butter. All I want is new features in the IDE. I want all the source and I want for F3 to work ALL THE TIME.

Having said that, it would be very appropriate if they could find some kind of RedHat vs CentOs kind of model, where there is something free, and the serious user will be glad, happy, overjoyed, to pay for support.

Soon, I'm paying RedHat. ha ha.

We've switched to flex 3 today. It's working. It took my old flex 2 license key, and is giving me 83 days.

No problems - a
                                  • 14. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                    rbetieh Level 1
                                    Hers my 2 cents as well.

I dont see this as getting something for free (we get the sdk for free, and trust me, once the 30 days are up you CAN still work with the sdk). This is more about having to pay to beta-test a piece of software that you can't even buy yet. Why can't they allow us to buy licenses of FB3 now? We could then use the beta until FB3 comes out.

The FB2 license sturcture accomodates CURRENT users, but I for instance am a NEW user evaluating a tool and a language for future projects. If price were my only concern, I would have already picked Google Web Toolkit over this product, but its not. Its too bad I never got to see what the profiler could do before my 30 days were up.
                                    • 15. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                      masterkrang Level 1
                                      when deciding whether to make FB3 beta free, Adobe should mainly consider that their release version could possibly suffer if they don't. the fact that they don't seem to care about our feedback, at least enough to keep the beta free, tells me that they have it under control. at least they think they do.

it's a hard decision to decide because there are coders who could just use the FREE sdk and bypass most of these issues. most people using flex probably don't want to do that though, and i think that will deter them from using the product.

it would be great if we could get some kind of official statement on Adobe's policy regarding FB3.
                                      • 16. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                        matt_chotin Level 3
                                        We have multiple replies in this thread, I'm not sure what official response you're looking for here. At this time if you are a paying customer of Flex Builder 2, you can use the Flex Builder 3 Beta for free with no risk of it expiring before the next beta. If you are not a paying customer you can choose to buy Flex Builder 2 now or you can use the 30-day trial of FB3. We would love to get feedback from as many people as possible, but we are a business and we cannot give away our software for free, despite it having the beta moniker when in fact it can be effectively used for creating production applications using the Flex 2 portions.

Matt
                                        Adobe
                                        • 17. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                          rbetieh Level 1
                                          Matt,

Could you suggest to the adobe marketing people that they allow customers to pre-order FB3?

I think the point being made here is no one is so foolish as to buy a product with an end-of-life set for the end of this year, just so they can try a product that they will have to buy for the same or greater amount of money than the product that is soon to be extinct. By now, everyone in Adobe should have a very good idea at what the cost of development of FB3 is so it shouldnt be that hard to put a sticker price on it and use the pre-order licenses to extend the beta. I really dont see why any company would consider this unreasonable.

The current strategy caters only to existing users and does not do anything to encourage growth in the user base.
                                          • 18. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                            matt_chotin Level 3
                                            We will definitely be doing something like that but it takes time to set up so I can't promise anything soon.

Matt
                                            • 19. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                              RJ Forbes
                                              Any more info on the possible pre-order? Were in the same situation here where we had ordered a copy of flex builder 2 but our distributer gave us a PC copy insteal of Mac. We ended up keeping it since we needed a PC version, and I had told them we would wait it out for the mac version since it was soon to be here. Projects are starting to come in now though with the return from holidays season.
                                              • 20. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                                matt_chotin Level 3
                                                Flex 3 is now expected to be released in early 2008, so the pre-order is not available yet. I would recommend purchasing another Flex Builder 2 license in the meantime.

Matt
                                                Adobe
                                                • 21. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                                  advensys
                                                  Cant use tool for prototype exploration. Cant adopt tool. All the interest I had when I got the free trial is waning out. Adobe might want to see if they want easier promotion of tool or want to wait for it to prove its value thru the entrprises that can afford expensive licenses.

• 22. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                                    Ansury Level 3
                                                    quote:

Originally posted by: matt_chotin
                                                    Flex 3 is now expected to be released in early 2008, so the pre-order is not available yet. I would recommend purchasing another Flex Builder 2 license in the meantime.

Matt
                                                    Adobe

Ugh! That's a terrible update, no offense meant to you of course, but this is bad news.

What happens after October 31 (which, last I checked, was pretty far before "early 2008"), when ALL FB3 trials expire and are unusable?

We're not asking for anything free here, we're just asking to be able to keep working/evaluating using FB3 until the final version is out. (Whether you have FB2, or are new and hesitant to shell out money--with an awesome "unknown" upgrade fee--to buy an end-of-life product version.) So no, I am not going to buy any FB2 license, which Adobe seems to be attempting to manhandle it's customers into doing--at the VERY least until the upgrade fee is known. (That way at least you know what the cost of this couple-of-months head start is.)

Some of us are trying to get jump-starts into the new version of the software, which is good for Adobe -- the more time we invest working in Flex, the more likely we are to stick with it. But not if the freakin trial expires and we are now forced to stop...

This isn't requesting a non-expiring trial or a free product in any way - just keep giving us new trial keys to use that expire before the projected release date, and when the final date is determined make sure the last trial key expires -for all users- before that date. After that point the trial version should become useless to all. This can only help Adobe's bottom line since it binds ongoing projects more tightly to FB3, and turns a desire to purchase into a need!
                                                    • 23. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                                      spacechumper
                                                      Um, this is stupid.

I installed my trial and it was already expired. Previosly I trialled Flex2 didn't really like it. Wanted to see how Flex3 was. I assume its looking at my Flex2 lic.

Help?

regards
                                                      Jonathan
                                                      • 24. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                                        rsbardsley Level 1
                                                        I installed my Flex 3 trial about a month ago. This morning, it expired.

I am exploring new platforms for a new (big defense) project and was hoping to switch over to Flex 3. Now, my trial has expired, I can't purchase Flex 2 for the Mac through the educational store, and no one at Adobe seems to have any idea what to do. I spent 3 hours being bounced from sales, to India, to HR, to sales, to tech support... no one there knows their products. It's embarrassing.

I even have the "official" Adobe Flex 2 training manual... which doesn't come with a version of the actual product you are supposed to "learn."

After just getting off the phone with the 15th Adobe person who explained quite clearly (as did everyone else) that it is not available for download from the Adobe site because it is not available for download... I am at wits end. I can't purchase Flex 2 through the retail store because my school requires me to go through the educational store. I can download EXACTLY what I need through the Adobe site... but not at the educational price.

This is ridiculous.

So to use Flex 3, I need to purchase a $750 product I don't intend on using, learn the program, then pay to upgrade? Or, throw my $55 training manual away because I can't get the program it is supposed to teach me how to use?

Come on...

• 25. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                                          matt_chotin Level 3
                                                          rsbardsley -- please contact me offlist, mchotin AT adobe DOT com. We'll get you worked out.

spacechumper/Jonathan - FB 3 should have supported a new trial. Did you use the plugin or the standalone version?

Ansury - we will be releasing another beta before the current one expires. We will also hopefully provide upgrade pricing and information in the next few months.

Matt
                                                          Adobe
                                                          • 26. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                                            bzguru
                                                            As few people mentioned in the forum, the beta should be available free of charge and no one has to pay for it. MS, Sun have been doing this for years. Also until now adobe was the only platform to deliver Very Very RIAs (VVRIA). Now MS and Sun are stepping in with products like WPF, Silverlight etc. This would be a big challenge for Adobe. These products are under beta test and are offered free of charge. I think if Adobe do not lure more developers to its amazing Flex products it may loose developers...and potential customers...Of course they can charge once the beta testing is over.
                                                            • 27. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                                              spacechumper Level 1
                                                              I did the standalone version, should I have recieved a key? Or should I try the elipse plugin?
                                                              Thanks
                                                              • 28. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                                                matt_chotin Level 3
                                                                The standalone version should have worked when changing from Flex 2 to Flex 3, you should have gotten a new trial period. Sorry, I'm not sure why it wouldn't work.

Matt
                                                                • 29. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                                                  vgarud Level 1
                                                                  I did commit to FB3 and went ahead and purchased FB2 license. I tried to use that to extend my expired FB3 trial and it still doesn't work. It seems to accept the serial number, but after I hit ok, it still doesnt show me any useful stuff. I can create a new MXML application, but the MXML editor shows blank. Can't do anything with it! Seems like it went into a restricted mode or something. Funny thing is it still says "Flex beta expired" at the bottom.
                                                                  The FB2 itself does install and run, but then I am unable to point it to the FB3 workspace that I intend to use. (FB2 probably not forward compatible.) Where do I go from here? I feel cheated into purchasing a product (FB2) I never intended to use.

- Vivek
                                                                  • 30. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                                                    matt_chotin Level 3
                                                                    Have you tried restarting Flex Builder? You may need to also apply the serial number directly to the license.properties file in the sdk/frameworks/ directory within your FB install. I promise that the FB2 serial number is meant to make your trial work.

Matt
                                                                    • 31. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                                                      matt_chotin Level 3
                                                                      Oh, and FB2 cannot work in a FB3 workspace.
                                                                      • 32. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                                                        Eric_Neimeister
                                                                        Any updates on preordering FB3 to extend the beta?
                                                                        • 33. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                                                          matt_chotin Level 3
                                                                          Sorry, we won't have pre-order news until at least October.

Matt
                                                                          • 34. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                                                            ohhmaagawd
                                                                            So if I buy Flex2 so I can keep using Flex3 beta will I be able to transfer the Flex2 license to Flex3 when it is released?
                                                                            • 35. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                                                              matt_chotin Level 3
                                                                              Flex 2 to Flex 3 is not a free upgrade, however there will be an upgrade price to go from Flex 2 to Flex 3 that is significantly less than the full price. So if you buy Flex 2 now you will need to pay to upgrade to Flex 3 when it is released in early 2008.

Matt
                                                                              • 36. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                                                                vgarud Level 1
                                                                                I updates the license.properties file and the expired message at the bottom disappeared. However I still can't do anything with the FB3 as most of the screens are blank. Here is a screenshot of how it looks.
                                                                                Screenshot Link
                                                                                Any clues? This is a XP box.
                                                                                • 37. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                                                                  matt_chotin Level 3
                                                                                  Hmm, if the notice went away it should work, but a blank editor tends to mean that the license isn't working. Only suggestion is to try re-installing FB3 and see what happens?

Matt

• 38. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                                                                    morish
                                                                                    Yeah, this whole thing is pretty frustrating - My FB3 has expired and when I try to use the Free SDK to package my AIR app, I'm getting an "Out of Memory" error that's making it impossible to provide new releases to my client. Meanwhile paying $500 for a product that will require an upgrade in a couple of months (+$200?) seems like a silly proposition to lay on your early adopters and evangelizers. I can't believe there's an AIR bus going around the country ($$$!) and I can't even buy the stable IDE that I've used to build apps using their platform!

Stuck,

Mike
                                                                                    • 39. Re: Flex 3 Trial Expired in 2 Days?!
                                                                                      morish Level 1
                                                                                      Yeah, this whole thing is pretty frustrating - My FB3 has expired and when I try to use the Free SDK to package my AIR app, I'm getting an "Out of Memory" error that's making it impossible to provide new releases to my client. Meanwhile paying $500 for a product that will require an upgrade in a couple of months (+$200?) seems like a silly proposition to lay on your early adopters and evangelizers. I can't believe there's an AIR bus going around the country ($$$!) and I can't even buy the stable IDE that I've used to build apps using their platform!

Stuck,

Mike
                                                                                      1 2 Previous Next