5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2011 8:58 AM by Jim_Simon

What software for someone to help with Premiere Pro CS5

JumpCat4

For the last 9 months I have been processing video using PP CS5 for a small church.  The church is now recording several programs and I would like some help in processing the videos that are created.  The church is small so probably can't afford a copy of the software that I have, so I will have to propose some options for them.  The two that come to my mind are:

1) Adobe allows me to have two machines loaded with Master Collection CS5.  Since I am only using one, I could install on another person's computer.  I think this may be somewhere less than the spirit of the EULA.  Besides, I am not real anxious to do this anyway.

2) Help them find a low cost alternative.  I think they may be able to do this for $100 to $200 for the software.  All they need to do is to trim the ends of the extra film, then add some title slides and save to Flash for the website and burn to DVD for archive.  As an option, they might be able to make a menu for the archive DVD.

Anybody know of any other options or suggested low end video editing software.  BTW, I took a quick look at Cyberlink PowerDirector and I could not find a way to save in the Flash format - other than creating a Youtube account and then sending the video directly to Youtube.

• 1. Re: What software for someone to help with Premiere Pro CS5
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          1) Adobe allows me to have two machines loaded with Master Collection CS5.  Since I am only using one, I could install on another person's computer.  I think this may be somewhere less than the spirit of the EULA.  Besides, I am not real anxious to do this anyway.

The EULA allows for two concurrent installations, but not two concurrent uses of those installations, e.g. install on workstation and install on laptop for field use.

Why get the Master Collection, if all they need is editing? You could get Premiere Pro by itself for much less. Also, you may want to look into non-profit licensing; this will depend on the organization, of course.

2) Help them find a low cost alternative.  I think they may be able to do this for $100 to $200 for the software.  All they need to do is to trim the ends of the extra film, then add some title slides and save to Flash for the website and burn to DVD for archive.  As an option, they might be able to make a menu for the archive DVD.

Maybe Adobe Premiere Elements 9?

• 2. Re: What software for someone to help with Premiere Pro CS5
            JumpCat4 Level 1

I have the MC, but they probably would not even be able to afford just the PP CS5.  I will look into the non-profit license.  That is a good suggestion.

Also, forgot to mention that the video is AVCHD and the file type is MTS files.

• 3. Re: What software for someone to help with Premiere Pro CS5
              Colin Brougham Level 6

I'm not an Elements user, but I believe that AVCHD is a supported format; since PrE is a consumer-centric program, it stands to reason that it should be able to edit that format. It is a CPU-intensive format, but if you're primarily looking at simple cuts and dissolves, you'd probably be OK with PrE.

Here's more info on Adobe non-profit: Adobe solutions for nonprofits | Adobe Volume Licensing

• 4. Re: What software for someone to help with Premiere Pro CS5
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

You are correct. PrE will handle AVCHD on an adequate computer. It will edit, allow Titles, PiP, many Effects (too many are Auto only, however), and can Export/Share to Flash, with one big caveat - there is NO Transparency available from PrE, like from PrPro, so no sprites, etc. Just plain FLV.

The files that PrE works from will work in PrPro and vice versa. However, the use of a PrPro PRPROJ (Project file) will NOT work in PrE. A PrE PREL (Project file) might Open in PrPro, but there are a bunch of things that can keep this from working correctly: Themes/Instant Movies, some New Blue FX Effects and Transitions, etc., that are specific to PrE. Otherwise, if PrE and PrPro are contemporary, say PrE 9 and PrPro CS5, and not of that "stuff" is used, it is likely that a PrE 9 PREL will Open in PrPro CS5 - I can do that with PrE 4 and PrPro 2.0/CS2, as they were contemporaries. I cannot Open later PrE PREL's in PrPro 2.0/CS2, and only get a failure.

For simple editing (especially if one is not intending on migrating between PrE & PrPro), PrE should fit the bill nicely. Much more is done "behind the scenes," and the GUI is more of a "Big-Button" solution, than PrPro, where one has much more control, though much needs to be done by hand. There are also some MAJOR layout differences between the two GUI's, but with some training, one can go with either pretty easily.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 5. Re: What software for someone to help with Premiere Pro CS5
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Movie Edit Pro from Magix runs about $60 and should be able to do everything the Church needs.