12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2012 11:38 AM by Petersea-II

Fade audio clip

tamzunc

HI all,

I have a 2 minute series of video clips and deleted all the related audio.  What I wish to do is paly an audio track--45 seconds longer--and have a slow fade over say 5-10 seconds.  I did what was suggested on the help site, but it was very abrupt.  Any way to stretch this?

Jim

• 1. Re: Fade audio clip
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

This can be done several ways.

I like using Clip Keyframes to lower the Volume over time. With the Clip Selected, one would go to Effects, and then Edit Effects, Volume. Place the CTI (Current Time Indicator w/ the red Edit Line) where you want the Fade to begin. Click the "Stopwatch" to place a Clip Keyframe at that point, then go to the end of that Clip, and with the CTI on the last "frame," lower the Volume to the minimum, and this will place another Keyframe there. I like to use the Ease-Out Bezier control for that first Keyframe, but over the time that you are talking, I doubt that will be necessary. You will be able to see these Keyframes in the Clip on the Timeline, and also see the yellow Volume line ramp down to the end of the Clip.

There are more ways, but this is easy and quick.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Fade audio clip
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Two other ways to do this would be to add an Audio Dissolve, either Constant Power, or Constant Gain (I like Constant Power), to the end of that Clip. With the horizontal magnification zoomed in, to see what you are doing clearly, Click-drag on the beginning of that Transition to extend it to your desired "start point."

Another would be to go to Window>Audio Mixer, and while playing the Clip, ride the Volume pot/slider down to -oo over the time desired, starting where you want the Fade to begin. You might want to place a Marker at that point, and when the CTI reaches it, begin adjusting the pot/slider. Note: the Audio Mixer adds Track Keyframes, not Clip Keyframes, so if you later move that Clip, and add another at that spot on the Audio Track, it will have the same Volume adjustment. Those Track Keyframes do NOT follow the Clip, should something change. Also note: the default Track Keyframe frequency is set pretty high, by default, and I go to Edit>Preferences and set that down a bit. The Audio Mixer takes a bit of practice to get it right, and time things perfectly, but is a very powerful tool.

Good luck, and the choice is yours.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Fade audio clip
              tamzunc Level 1

Thanks Bill for those choices.  Little by little I'm building the skills, mostly due to helpful veterans like you.

Best in the new year.

Jim

• 4. Re: Fade audio clip
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are a couple of great places to learn these basic skills, Jim.

I offer a series of Basic Training tutorials at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

And my books, available on Amazon.com and at the Muvipix.com store, will show you step by step every tool in the program and how to use it.

• 5. Re: Fade audio clip
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

So glad that those suggestions are working for you.

As you can see, there are often several ways to accomplish the same outcome. Much depends on what one is working on, and then how they like to work.

I tend to go for more control, but at the expense of more work. In many cases, simple works just as well.

That is why one will often see several suggestions to the same "problem." Steve G. might like to do things one way, and I another. Then Neale, or ATR will stop by with a slightly different suggestion, based on how they like to work. The end-result might well be indistinguishable from each other in the output.

Happy editing, and good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Fade audio clip
                    tamzunc Level 1

Steve,  Thanks for cluing me into these resources.  It's taken me quite a while to figure how to effectiveloy get help via PE Help, forums, Muvipix and more.  It's a bit amorphous at first.  I think I might try writing a post that explainsfrom a relative newbies point of viewhow to get one's head around this process.  Probably it's been done.

Jim

• 7. Re: Fade audio clip
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Do post on what was not so clear for you, and how you managed to get the necessary info. Knowing what is working for getting the info out there to real users will improve how I deliver the info. Sometimes I worry that because of the time that I spend in the PrPro, PS, and similar fora, I do not break things down enough for users of PrE, who might not have a degree in Video Production. I try, but do miss some in the delivery. I can always learn how to do it better.

Until one fully understands their audience, they cannot be 100% effective.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - in this order, I'd look to Steve Grisetti:

The Basic Training Series

His Learning Series

His PrE book

His various Tips & Tricks articles

His Tips & Tricks Book

• 8. Re: Fade audio clip
                        tamzunc Level 1

Steve,

I saw  a post about how to minimize PC

programs tht use up resouces, such as AV, Anti-Spyware, etc,

by temporarily turning them of during editting sessions. It may well have been one of yours.

I thought I had archived everything but seem to have lost this one.  Any ideas where to look?

Thanks,

Jim

• 9. Re: Fade audio clip
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

While Steve covers a lot of that in the appendices of most of his books, I wonder if this ARTICLE is what you are referring to.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Fade audio clip
                            Petersea-II

Gentlemen, I wonder if I could retrieve this thread before the year dies.. I despair over things Adobe, being Machiavellianly complex for what I would think are simple things.

(Signing in here took me back two threads.. )(Tried finding 'forums' from adobe.com?)(I can't even select a word here as I type, right-click and copy. Why oh why...)

Anyway, like tamzunc I want a very gradual audio fade, in and out. I have rain noise that I want to rise almost to the edge of hearing, climb, ever so slightly, then fade, ever so slowly, to nothing.

I've used the dots on the yellow audio line (keyframes, I believe) with Ctrl-clicks, and tried to drag them into position, but even when the audio track is stretched vertically the movements are very coarse: 25 to 39 to 57 dB. I find it very hard to alter their value explicitly.

Then I found Edit Effects (already applied) but that didn't seem to allow me to edit markers already on the yellow audio line, only to insert new ones at, admittedly, fixed values.

The yellow line itself isn't easy to set - only when it moves does it reveal its value, and that's not editable.

Riding the pots is far too complex for me, and too imprecise, on a 20 sec clip. At the edge of hearing.

Can you suggest a relatively simple way of taking the audio, and with surgical precision, shaping it to my desired levels?

Thanks.

• 11. Re: Fade audio clip
                              Ted Smith Level 3

I seem to remember that you can select and enter a value between 1 and 125 using the keyboard to set the video level at any point where you have inserted a marker.

You can set a few points with the keyboard and simply have a straight yellow line joining the points

I know you could on PE2 so I presume this is possible on later versions.

Regarding "barely hearable" this of course eventually depends a lot on the volume level the final user has set their playback device to.

You have to evaluate the final result at a variety of playtback volume settings.

• 12. Re: Fade audio clip
                                Petersea-II Level 1

Hi Ted,

I've found my way back in this labyrinth of a forum and I feel I should report on how I finally succeeded in fading sound in from silence and out to silence on a relatively short clip.

In fact I found that less is more, in this case.  Not that it was necessarily easy, but after videos from somewhere and some practice I found that with just a few points on the audio line and playing with Bezier-type curves I could pitch the sound volume at a very shallow angle, rising from the '0' horizontal (silence, at anyone's playback settings) and then slowly levelling out at an acceptable (let's say 'normalised') height/level.

With just a few 'dots', points, and the 'angling control arm' that shapes the volume curve, I found that I could form a nice, sweet rate of change - increasing from barely hearable and fading out to nothing.  Excellent for the sound of heavy rainfall: rising, levelling, slowly fading, at both the beginning and the end of the clip.

HTH.