3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2011 2:25 PM by Todd_Kopriva

CS4 Several Instances of AE running at once

HarryPutnam Level 1

CS4  Windows 7 (64bit)

I notice 4 instance of AE running in the process manager. and each says its 32 bit

Looks like this:

AfterFX.exe *32.

Each, with no work going on, is pulling around 141,500 K of memory

I had an event where AE ran out of memory and I could not even save the work.  I killed off photoshp,

and Premiere pro trying to recover enough memory to be able to save the work but that didn't work, finally

I  killed off all but one instance of AE and was then able  to save the work.

After saving and closing AE I turned up the amount of memory alotted as shown in the screen grab attached

But basically out of a possible 8 gb of ram I've alocated 5.19gb to AE.  I'm wondering if there is some problem

in my setup and if that is a bad setting. (see screen grab at the end of all the memory related settings)

I'm guessing I see 4 instances becasue of running i7cpu which has 4 cores.  I'm curious if that is right

and if it is normal to see what I've roported in process manager?

Also does CS4 not have 64 bit capability in AE as it does for photoshop?

One last thing is to know if CS5 makes more use of 64 bit and if so how is it different

AEMemSettings.png

• 1. Re: CS4 Several Instances of AE running at once
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

After Effects can start multiple background processes to help with rendering. See this page.

After Effects CS5 is a 64-bit application. After Effects CS4 is not. See this page.

• 2. Re: CS4 Several Instances of AE running at once
            HarryPutnam Level 1

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

After Effects can start multiple background processes to help with rendering. See this page.

After Effects CS5 is a 64-bit application. After Effects CS4 is not. See this page.

Humm, lots to take in there Thanks.

I notice a rather dramatic difference between cs4 and cs5 regarding what is displayed at Edit/Preferences/Memory&Multiprocessing.

On CS4, 4 cores are reported, on CS5, 8 cores are reported. I got 100% upgrade.  I was under the impression the i7 Q820 cpu has 4 cores.  But it gets confusing the way they count threads and cores.

• 3. Re: CS4 Several Instances of AE running at once
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8
              I notice a rather dramatic difference between cs4 and cs5 regarding what is displayed at Edit/Preferences/Memory&Multiprocessing.

That's because a huge portion of what we improved in After Effects CS5 was the set of features related to memory and multiprocessing.

> On CS4, 4 cores are reported, on CS5, 8 cores are reported. I got 100% upgrade.  I was under the impression the i7 Q820 cpu has 4 cores.

After Effects CS5 can take advantage of virtual cores created by hyperthreading. This doubles the effective number of processor cores.