6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2011 3:33 PM by Szalam

Removing serious shake... what tools to use

HarryPutnam Level 1

I have CS4 Production premium, but am also trying out CS5 After Effects so currently have access to both.

I have some really terrible footage that I actually need to use 10-20 seconds  of.... in 5 different clips )5 different

I've earmarked and extracted the parts I need to use and made independant clips of them with PPro and no imported into AE.

What I want advice on is what tools and how to proceed to unshake this footage.  The camera at times literally jumped wildly around barely keeping the person in the frame at times.

What I've attempted so far is to set up ruler guides surrounding the persons head and body trunk and then first using 10 frame jumps then single frame jumps where needed, setting `position' key frames to pull the object into a constant (or close) position judging by the guides.

(See the screen grab attached)

The very litte I know about motion tracking would seem to rule that out as technique since if I remember it right, it depends on being guided by something else in the frame... which in this case would also be jumping wildly.  I made a tryout on Sonvy Vegas 10 which has a tool specifically for redressing shake.  But the severity of these clips goes beyond what that tool can correct.

It's fairly easy to tell when the object (person) itself moves naturally and when the whole frame jumps around due to an idiot (me) at the controls of Sony VX2100 on a tripod believe it or not.  But not so easy to make a seemless correction, at least not in the worst places

The results are quite a good start but the worst spots still need more work.  Or a different technique altogether.

What would you use to try to do something like this?

In the screen grab you can see what I've done by the `postion' keyframes and guide setup.  You can also tell how very bad of a waver or jump this one was by how far the frame has been drug out of center to correct it

What I plan to do once the wavers are corrected enough is to mask a rectangle  (feathered) around the subject and thereby bring the apparent frame size down considerably so nasty frame edges don't show in the final version, which will not have to stand as the full frame but will have background video running which these short clips appears over (in somewhat less than full opacity) for a few seconds at a time  A sound track of whats being said will be synced in as the last step.

AE_FixingBadShake.png

• 1. Re: Removing serious shake... what tools to use
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Motion Tracking is the tool you want to use. You may have to make the search area rather large and, at times, manually replace the tracking points, but this is exactly the kind of thing it was made for. (Well, one of the things it was made for...)

Check out these resources on it. It includes links to a bunch of tutorials. Here's another tutorial, just for fun.

• 2. Re: Removing serious shake... what tools to use
            HarryPutnam Level 1

Szalam wrote:

Motion Tracking is the tool you want to use. You may have to make the search area rather large and, at times, manually replace the tracking points, but this is exactly the kind of thing it was made for. (Well, one of the things it was made for...)

Check out these resources on it. It includes links to a bunch of tutorials. Here's another tutorial, just for fun.

Thanks... but first off the first link is absolutely thin in the way of instruction... there appears to be  a bakers dozen of controls on the tracker panel but the directions mention 3 and far as I see never does say how make something happen beyond creating the boxes.

I hit stabalize, adjusted the tracker it gave me and hit analyze forward, it seem to be analyzing at the rate of a frame once ber second or two seconds.

The clip is about 20 seconds, at this rate it will be anlalyzing for around 650-800 seconds.   That seems a bit steep, especially since the in the second link that guy hits analyze forward and it eats it right up.

Oh wait, it taking much longer than a frame a second... more like 5-8 seconds per frame so make that 4000-7000 seconds.   Which is way beyond ridiculous so I pretty sure I have done something way wrong.

Looks like at this rate it might be a week or so before I can actually look at the results.

Oh man, its slowed down drastically now... doesn't even seem to be making any headway.

I'm running windows 7 (64) on a i7 Q820 with 8GB ram... surely it should analyze a bit faster eh.

Can you guess what might be wrong or what I can post that will help anybody take a guess.

• 3. Re: Removing serious shake... what tools to use
              HarryPutnam Level 1

HarryPutnam wrote:

Szalam wrote:

Can you guess what might be wrong or what I can post that will help anybody take a guess.

After rubbing the tears from my eyes with balled up fists, I managed to get going with it.  The trouble I had caused myself was making WAY to big of search area and target area.  Somehow I had the notion I needed to surround the whole body of a person speaking, then finally started getting the idea of how the tracking works, and realized I could just use his head for the target area and the search area a little bitter around the head.

If the subject didn't tuirn his head a ffew times I bet I could just use eyes and nose and do a good job.  This tool is really great

Now Analyze Forwad chews it right up, and what a great job it does.  Beats the doggy poop out of what I was doing.

There are still a few places where it needs manual intervention and I see I could go a little bigger and get that to work too, its a trade off speed or accuracy but only a tiny problem on that absolutely worst, and I mean really terrible wobbles.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Removing serious shake... what tools to use

Szalam wrote:

...Check out these resources ...

Thanks... but first off the first link is absolutely thin in the way of instruction...

Actually, that first link had a lot more resources than you realized. That was just the overview part of the help pages, if you navigated in the document you would have found tons more like:

• Motion tracking workflow
              • Track or stabilize motion
              • Adjust the track point
              • Apply tracking data to a new target
              • Correct a motion track
                • 5. Re: Removing serious shake... what tools to use
                  HarryPutnam Level 1

Szalam wrote:

Szalam wrote:

...Check out these resources ...

Thanks... but first off the first link is absolutely thin in the way of instruction...

Actually, that first link had a lot more resources than you realized. That was just the overview part of the help pages, if you navigated in the document you would have found tons more like:

• Motion tracking workflow
                • Track or stabilize motion
                • Adjust the track point
                • Apply tracking data to a new target
                • Correct a motion track
                • Apologies Szalam,  And thanks for the links that should have been self evident to me

Boy I can't say enough good about that tracking tool far as the part I've used (stabilize).  That thing can track an ant over bare rock zig zagging.

Some of the footage I overhauled was really really bad, and I only had to manually intervene in a few of the very worst places, like where the object being tracked completely traversed the 720px width frame and flew off at a tangent, in a single frame.

If I really understood how to set the target and search area better I suspect it could have tracked those really bad places too.

Once I finish this deadline I'm up against, I'm going to play with the tracker until I really understand it.

• 6. Re: Removing serious shake... what tools to use
                    Apologies Szalam,  And thanks for the links that should have been self evident to me

No problem, I think we all can understand how it is working under deadlines.

Boy I can't say enough good about that tracking tool...Once I finish this deadline I'm up against, I'm going to play with the tracker until I really understand it.

If you like the AE tracker with your limited under-a-deadline experience, just wait until you get to play with the Mocha planar tracker that comes with AE.