30 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2011 11:14 AM by jeffgedgaud

PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews

fburton2

Hello All,

I am getting the following error message sporadically while working with PE9, latest version:  "We have detected generic Microsoft's display driver on this machine.  To get better and faster playback performance, please update your display driver.  Display driver details: Microsoft Corporation - GDI Generic 1.1.0."

I am using an nVidia GeForce 8800GTS video card with the latest nVidia driver.

The rest of the system is as follows:  Motherboard: ASUS P5ND2-SLI Deluxe with a Pentium D, 3.0GHz dual core processor,

3.0GB of useable DDR2 RAM, 4-SATA2 7200 RPM Disc drives in 2 RAID0 configurations, one with 500GB, partitioned with 30GB in the system partition and the rest in a second partition for programs and data.  The second RAID0 is 1TB, unpartitioned for the video data files.  There is a Pioneer BDR-205 Blu-Ray burner (SATA interface) and a Sony AW-Q170A DVD burner (IDE interface).  The virtual memory is set manually to 8184MB for each of two drives.

The project I am working on currently uses video clips from a Kodak Zi8 pocket camcorder and are 1080p,30fps .MOV files.  I am using audio fades in and out on most clips, a couple of video disolves between clips.  I also added a musical track for a second audio track.  There are a total of 3 simple, stationary titles added as well.  The preset I used was "HD 1080i" at 29.97 frames per second.  There is no preset for 1080p.

I would ignore the above error message if it weren't for the fact that the previews play very haltingly, with the video showing as mostly a series of still frames and usually many seconds behind the audio.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer.

Fred Burton

• 1. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Fred,

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure if your MoBo has an embedded graphics chip or not, but it could be that it was not completely bypassed (usually jumpers, DIP switches or maybe from the BIOS).

I would go to Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager, and check very closely in the Display Adapter area. There, you can also check the device driver version and date.

As for that H.264 material, I am not sure that a Pentium D will ever be able to get you really smooth playback. The best that you will get is if you Render the Timeline (pressing Enter), to create basically "proxy files," to be used just for playback. While the I/O is important, there is a lot of decoding that must be done with the H.264 material. Most recommend a fast Quad-core, or i7 CPU.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Some things that might help are setting up your system for editing, and this ARTICLE will give you some tips. Be especially wary of anti-virus programs, and doubly so with active anti-virus.

Take a look at this ARTICLE on resources. Even if one is not getting resource/memory messages, performance can be enhanced with proper setup and management of Windows Virtual Memory.

Also, take a look at this ARTICLE, as Windows Indexing can cause all sorts of hangs, plus uses a bunch of CPU cycles.

There are several FAQ Entries (right-hand side of this forum's main page) with tips on tuning up one's computer for editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
              fburton2 Level 1

Thanks for the advice.  I will check the bios for things that should have been turned off.

Interestingly, I also have Premiere Pro CS3 installed on the same computer, and the previews (after rendering for a long time) play very smoothly.

Fred

• 4. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                fburton2 Level 1

Bill, I checked the motherboard manual and there is no built-in video card.  So the nVidia card is the only one in the system.

Would it speed up previews if I converted the video clips to something else before adding them to PE9?  I have AVS Video Converter which will convert to almost anything.  I'd just want to maintain the HD quality of the clips.

Fred

• 5. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Fred,

I am just thinking on how PrE could get that message, unless something, like the OS, is reporting the use of the MS generic driver. Usually, PrE is good at not making stuff up, but one never knows. Unlike PrPro CS5, PrE 9 does not use things like CUDA, and should be very, very similar to your CS3. There is possibly a bit closer interface with your video sub-system and PrE 9, as it did add some minor GPU acceleration, but nothing like the MPE w/ CUDA in CS5.

If PrPro CS3 plays back smoothly with the same material on the same machine, then you should be able to get the same, or very, very similar performance out of PrE 9. Now, I do not have that version, so someone else will need to chime in here, but there are some setting in PrE 9, regarding the GPU. Perhaps one of those settings is not the ultimate for your system. Unfortunately, I can't even point you in the right direction there - but others can.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                    Ted Smith Level 3

The blame wont be with PE

One problem with nvidia video cards is they easily overheat when called on to do extreme tasks such as in PE9

Also they can develop a problem with areas of their memory or if using your computer system memory. So they work fine just using a wordprocessor but fail when used with something more demanding. I had one card that would go for half an hour then freezed the computer on a quick zoom!

If the video card is fitted with a small on board fan check the fins are not partially choked with dust.

Otherwise see it it still happens with the computer cover removed.

• 7. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                      jeffgedgaud Level 1

I have seen others who have had problems with NVIDIA drivers and PE9, it is probably not your system but the program. I have a very good computer with a quad core CPU at 2.9 GHz, two video cards, both NVIDIA and 12 GB RAM and Premiere Elements 9 does not work well. On the same system Premiere Pro CS5 works very well without any problems like stuttering or problems loading video clips.  I do understand about 64 bit and 32 bit programs for those that will jump in about that difference but simply put by the numerous buyers who dislike Premiere Elements 8 and 9 it is a broken program that needs a fix and will not get it.

I know I will get a lot of doubters here but Premiere Elements 9 is broken for some people and will never run right, just like Premiere Elements 8 does not work at all or very poorly for many. I really think they need to rework the program and get it working better instead of continuing to add more features, try an update instead of a new edition.

I really do not think there is anything you can do to get this working better. I would try a different program such as Corel Digital Studio or Cyberlinks PowerDirector , I have had little or no problems with both and they work well with HD Video.

• 8. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

How are your two cards arranged, SLI, or Crossfire?

PrE & PrPro will not work well with either. Those configurations are fine for some 3D apps, and for gaming. They are not good for working with most NLE programs?

Sounds like a good idea, and is often sold to unsuspecting users, but they actually mess things up with most Adobe programs, from PS on. None will be able to utilize the two cards.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                          jeffgedgaud Level 1

NVIDIA cards would be SLI while ATI cards would be Crossfire. So far no MoBos will do both or mix NVIDIA cards with ATI ones.

Problem is I think you are fully wrong. SLI and Crossfire works just fine in video editing systems. I have been using both Crossfire and SLI setups and not had problems with other editing programs, only Premiere Elements 8 and 9.You just need to do editing on the main display and not use the extra monitors while editing.

My Creative Suite with all its many programs works very well on this system running two GTX 460 cards in SLI, plenty of horsepower to run any graphics programs. I also have 12 GB RAM with this system and the 64 bit Premiere Pro handles this nicely, but the 32 bit Premiere Elements does not care about more RAM, it just does not work well at all in many systems.

If you think I am wrong that is understandable but the many complaints from other users of Premiere Elements, check out Amazon customer reviews of the individual programs, seems to bolster the idea that the program does not work well for many, but some do get it to work just fine.

I think Adobe has more work to do to get this program more compatible with the various computer systems much like Premiere Pro seems to be. I find it hard to belive that one program, the more expensive one, works just fine on my computer but the cheaper one does not work nearly as well on the same exact system.

• 10. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Problem is I think you are fully wrong.

Unfortunately, this shows how very little you know about Adobe NLE programs. I am 100% correct about both SLI and Crossfire. The programs do not support either, and if you claim that they do, then it is you, who is wrong.

Do your research, and then come back, when you have learned something about the Adobe NLE's.

Good luck, and happy learning,

Hunt

• 11. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              If you think I am wrong that is understandable but the many complaints from other users of Premiere Elements, check out Amazon customer reviews of the individual programs, seems to bolster the idea that the program does not work well for many, but some do get it to work just fine.

I am not sure how you think that this might apply to SLI or Crossifre video setups. Maybe I am missing something, or you only wish to throw out a red herring here. Most users have no problems with PrE and it works on their systems. Same for the CS5 suites. It is when folk use non-standard systems, and then complain that things do not work with their computers, that I find interesting. In the end, it comes down to:

1. The system
                              2. The Assets
                              3. The Project Preset
                              4. OE
                              5. Bugs - but this is a tiny portion of the issues.

Some would argue that #'s 1 thru 3 ARE OE too, but I give a bit more leeway.

Feel what you want, and whine all that you like. As you have not come here with the full details of your problems, I can only assume that you wish to complain, and do not wish for us to help you. In that case, maybe you would like to post in the Not Requiring a Response sub-forum. That is the place for rants and complaints. Look at the above list, and find out where your issues lie. Chances are great that it will be #1 thru #4, and I'd bet on #1 & #4, but that is just me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                                jeffgedgaud Level 1

I am not having issues I wish to have fixed, I was trying to say that for some people Premiere Elements 9 does not work, system or cam

corder problems combined with the program itself.

I know for a fact that computers using two video cards in SLI or Crossfire do work with video editing programs, many people use a two video card system and have succesfully edited video. All a dual card system means is that extra drivers and such are there for both cards, the video capabilities are enhanced more as the programs have more GPU to use for editing. If you do not think a dual video card system would not be able to edit video I would like to point out that many companies with video editing specific computers also have a lot of systems with dual or even three graphics cards for the beenifits that the extra cards give. Also I am currently using a computer with two vidio cards and am not having any issues with Premiere Pro, just with Elements.

You really do not get the fact that for many people Premiere Elements is a broken program and that another video editing program may be a better option for them than spending so much time and effort trying to get a program to work that may never for some people.

That was the point I was trying to make to fburton2, it may be a better option to go with another program that may have a better chance of working on your system than spending your time with one that many others have also had problems with.

• 13. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                                  nealeh Level 5

What does Device Manager show as your graphics card (it will be in the 'Display Adapters section)?

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale
                                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 14. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, having multiple video cards is quite different than having them hooked up in SLI, or Crossfire.

Multiple individual video cards can certainly be used to drive multiple monitors. It is not the number of video cards, that I take any issue with. Some users will have a video card for say two program monitors, and then something like a Black Magic, or similar card to be used to Capture from some sources, and to also drive a calibrated CRT monitor for critical gamma and color correction. While some of those setups can cause issues, with all the proper drivers, and setup, they work nicely, with but a few limitations. That was why I asked about your multiple card setup. As stated above, SLI, or Crossfire are most common in 3D apps, and extreme gaming. Different animals.

There are but a few people, who come here, who cannot get PrE to work fine for them, with a little tweaking, perhaps the installation of the right CODEC, or with the conversion of their source material to a more editing-friendly format. Over the years, there have been cases, where nothing seems to work, but those cases are very few. There are also cases, where users discover a real Bug. In those instances, the suggestion is to file a Bug report, and as I have said many times, Adobe takes those very seriously, and with proper info to research the problem, get the engineers working on a fix. Sometimes, that fix comes in the way of a patch, and sometimes it might take even a few versions, before the fix can be implemented. With the normal, annual release of PrE versions, it can seem that Adobe is not taking the Bug seriously, but they do. Because of many operations being intertwined, they do not want to break something else, while trying to fix the Bug. That might be too slow for some, as they want a fix immediately. With PrPro, and its normal 18 mo. release schedule, there will likely be more patches coming. CS5 has had three, since release, and each update has addressed many issues. Have all Bugs been fixed? Hardly, but most and the biggest, usually do get corrected.

One special consideration with PrE is that it is a multi-purpose program, unlike PrPro, as of CS3. PrE also has authoring capabilities, and those were all moved exclusively to Encore in PrPro. The engineers have to walk through an intricate "mine-field," to implement changes, as they also have to work seamlessly and flawlessly with the authoring modules. In PrPro, that is no longer a restraint, as all authoring is done in a separate program.

In some cases, it is the user's desired workflow, that needs to be addressed. They have not discovered a Bug, but wish to edit in a different way, than the program was designed. Still, with a little correction in the workflow, things usually work quite nicely. Where they do not, the course of action is to file a Feature Request, and again, Adobe looks into each of these. Their priority might be adjusted up, or down, depending on how many request the same Feature, and the implementation of these, just like a Bug fix, must be benign - break nothing else, or alter a workflow that the vast majority uses.

Adobe takes PrE and PrPro very seriously, and they do not want to release Bug-ridden products, plus they want to create programs with the most natural workflows. PrE has a more limited workflow, than does PrPro, just because of the user-base, as marketing defines it. In many of these cases, when a user wants to do things unlike the way PrE was designed, most of us point out that PrPro already handles that workflow, though with a fairly steep price, and possibly a learning curve involved - still, if a user wants to do things in a very certain way, Adobe usually offers them a path, whether PrPro, or AfterEffects.

I also believe that most of the contributors here DO get it, that another NLE program would be a better fit. Personally, I often recommend Magix, or CyberLink to do certain things. Never having used Sony Vegas, I cannot recommend it, but others do, and their recs. indicate that those are also good options. Same for Corel, or even WMM. Adobe, our host, is very, very lenient with our making those recommendations here. They support the end-user getting the best info here, even if that is to pick up a competitive product. One does not see that sort of support on most company fora. In some, one cannot even mention the competition. When things get too far from Adobe products, most of us will recommend going to Muvipix to continue the discussion. This is not in an effort to not step on Adobe's toes, but is an effort to point the poster to a forum, where there is a much broader user-base for the other product.

Just because we do not immediately suggest changing programs, at the first post, is because in the vast majority of cases, PrE can be made to work, and work well. Where it cannot, say with DivX material, and the user does not wish to convert, then CyberLink's PowerDirector usually comes up, but not until all info has been gathered, and suggestions offered. Most of us realize all too well, that PrE is not for everyone and every case. We're here because we use PrE and often other Adobe products, and want to help. If we did not have confidence in Adobe, we'd be elsewhere. Along the way, we also want a poster to get the very best results and gain the most enjoyment from doing so. I cannot even begin to count the number of suggestions (and from the "regulars") to use WMM. No, WE do get it, and Adobe has been highly supportive of our suggestions. That is another reason that many of us are here - Adobe is a good host, along with producing good programs for our needs.

Now, if you are having issues with PrE, I beg you to start a new thread, and list the applicable info. For several previous threads, I've linked to this ARTICLE, in hopes to make your experiences with PrE much better. I cannot promise that we can get things running perfectly for you, but the info requested in that article will give us a running start on doing so. In the end, our rec. might well to be use another program, and it might not be your PrPro CSx. That does happen, as is evidenced my quite a few replies in this forum. For some Mac users, Steve Grisetti, the MOD here, and a X-platform user of PrE, he's suggested iMovie, or FCE, instead of PrE. I cannot make those recs., but that is because I am PC-only, and know zero about the NLE programs for the Mac. Steve is qualified to make those though, and often does.

For the OP, I think that the "case" is still open, and there is more to be done, and offered. PrE might be setup to work perfectly, or maybe Steve, or another Mac-user will finally suggest FCE as "the solution." We'd rather "score one" and get PrE working fine, but sometimes, that is not the best course of action, and we all are open to other program options.

None of us works for Adobe (except for the recent posters, with the "Employee" badges), and none of us sells Adobe products. We're but users, and for the most part, happy users. We only want to help others derive the same satisfaction, that we have, from PrE. That is our sole motivation. If that is not possible, then we want the poster to derive that satisfaction elsewhere, and will make those suggestions. It's about the successful editing experience.

Good luck, and please give us an opportunity to address your problems. I also appreciate knowing that you also have and use PrPro, as that might just be the answer in some cases. That program is my go-to NLE, and I rather use PrE as a tool in some workflows. Still, when and where used, PrE has never let me down. In your case, recommending PrPro, should that be the answer, is not out of line, as you have it already. Telling a retired grandmother, wishing to do DVD's of the grandkids' dance classes to get PrPro is not a viable solution, and I would never make such a suggestion.

Hunt

• 15. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                                      fburton2 Level 1

Hi,

The device manager shows the nVidia card (GeForce 8800GTS 512) and the nVidia driver version 6.14.12.6099.

Fred

• 16. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

What OS are you using?

The reason that I ask is that for most, the driver version on the nVidia site is 260.99 WHQL, dated 10/25/2010. I located it HERE.

Maybe I am just looking at the wrong OS, or perhaps I chose the wrong card - 8800-GTS 512.

Thanks, and good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                                          fburton2 Level 1

Hunt,

The operating system is Windows XP Pro, version 2002 with SP3.  You had the right card but I think you looked up the Vista driver.

Fred

• 18. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Looks like the same driver for XP, HERE.

Thanks for that info, and I apologize if I just missed that above.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                                              nealeh Level 5

To match the device driver version with the nvidia version you take the last five digits of the displayed driver (i.e. 6.14.12.6099 = 26099) and then place the decimal two digits left (i.e. 26099 = 260.99).

So Fred is on one of the most recent drivers. I say 'one of' because nvidia drivers are no longer universally backwards compatible. For the most recent cards there is a v263.09, for older cards v260.99.

Cheers,
                                              --
                                              Neale

• 20. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                                                nealeh Level 5

Two other things to try:

1. Ensure your QuickTime version is 7.6.9 (even if you don't use it PRE depends upon it).
                                                2. Disable your anti-virus software before starting a PRE session.

Cheers,
                                                --
                                                Neale

• 21. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                                                  fburton2 Level 1

nealeh,

My Quicktime version is 7.6.9 and I've never installed anti-virus software on this computer (learned how bad that can be a long time ago!).

Thanks for your help.

Fred

• 22. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                                                    fburton2 Level 1

Hunt, nealeh and others who have offered suggestions:

We're making marginal progress.  I made the preview window smaller, approximating the size of the monitor window in CS3 and that helped a lot.  I also found that there was an "updater" to Pre 9 to take it to 9.0.1 and I installed that.  Since that update, there has been no error message about the Microsoft generic driver.

I also converted one of the longer .mov clips to an HD avi format with AVS Video Converter and inserted it right after the same clip in .mov format in a new test project.  In spite of the fact that the converted clip needs to be rendered (a lengthy process), after the rendering, it plays marginally but noticeably smoother than the original .mov clip, which Pre9 does not need to render.

I have also gone into msconfig and stopped several processes and programs from loading on startup and that seems to have helped a little too.  It's still a bit of a mystery to me why CS3 (after rendering the timeline) plays so much smoother than Pre9 on the same computer.

Next step is to go into the box and see if the fan on the video card is clogged with dust, but that's a long shot since I just cleaned out the box in December when I installed the Blu-Ray burner.  This case also has fans on the side that help cool the video card.

Thank you for all your suggestions.  I'm chipping away at it and now have a workable solution when I make the preview window smaller.

Fred Burton

• 23. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Fred,

Glad that there has been progress, and thanks for reporting the steps that you have taken to get where you are now.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 24. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

As a bit of a follow up on the SLI issue with PrPro CS5, this is the comment from a sr. Adobe engineer for PrPro, "Premiere Pro CS5 does not use SLI."

Many users have experienced severe problems, and removing the SLI has solved most of those.

Hunt

• 25. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                                                          Ted Smith Level 3

"SLI" is new to me.

How do I find out if my computer is using it or not?

• 26. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                                                            jeffgedgaud Level 1

SLI is using two graphics cards in your computer to enhance gaming and OpenGL programs. If you have not installed two cards and the crossbridge you probably do not have this.

SLI is for NVIDIA graphhics cards and Crossfire is for ATI graphics cards, both do the same thing which is connect two graphics cards inside your computer and allow better performance for games and other applications like image and video editing. You need a motherboard inside your computer that is built for this and each motherboard will only be able to use an NVIDIA or ATI type of graphics board for SLI or Crossfire.

It is a way to give you better performance without having to buy a better graphics card. Install two of the same or nearly the same video cards, in my case two GTX 460, and get better performance in gaming and other programs than a GTX480. This allows a couple of things, you can purchase one card and later get another when you can afford it as well as add more monitors if you want more than the two that one graphics card allows.

In video editing the use of two cards, CUDA technology available cards, gives you more power for video editing because Premiere Pro uses CUDA. CUDA is a technology on newer graphics cards that allows your system to use both the CPU of the computer and GPU on the graphics cards to process video. If you have better GPU in video editing your on screen video will appear smoother and not stutter as much, especially those window views like the play window.

I have asked at other websites and did get an answer that using this new technology does immprove editing. As to how much and what parts of editing it helps it does not improve alot but it does help some, but the point  here is that systems with dual, SLI or Crossfire, graphics cards can run Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro, It just may or may not help with video editing but it certainly will not make the program nonfunctional. I have been using Premiere Pro on my SLI system for a few months and it works just fine.

This is why I am saying that having two graphics cards is possible and works just fine with Premiere Pro for me.

• 27. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

You are correct on CUDA, and correct on the two graphics cards in SLI, or Crossfire with some programs, designed to use them, but not with Adobe programs. They do not use either, and that is from the top of the Adobe engineering chain. They do work with 3D apps, that can use them, and for extreme gaming.

Hunt

• 28. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                                                                jeffgedgaud Level 1

I guess NVIDIA has got it wrong then, Bill please go here and see what NVIDIA says about their CUDA and Premiere

Pro: NVIDIA Website

I am not sure who you talked with but Adobe has added support to CUDA in a Premiere Pro update:

Adobe Website

Please do not misinform people by giving them outdated information.

• 29. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

As I said, you have it right about CUDA, but just wrong about Adobe PrE and PrPro with SLI. That is what I tried to point out.

Maybe post to the Adobe Hardware Forum, with questions on SLI. There are several Adobe engineers, who frequent that forum, along with several Adobe display experts. I would suggest paying close attention to replies from Todd, Jeremy and Harm. I think that they can give you much more detail, that I possibly can.

They can also tell you the exact CUDA-supported nVidia cards, that are certified, and then the ones that perform well with the nVidia "hack." Todd has done several great articles on the ins and outs of the MPE (Mercury Playback Engine) and its software use, plus its use of CUDA with the proper nVidia cards. Great detail in those.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Here is a nice ARTICLE from Todd. It would be a good place to start.

• 30. Re: PE9 Error Message and slow, halting, previews
                                                                    jeffgedgaud Level 1

To fburton2:

Premiere Elements 9 is not a very good program and I will say it again, I do not think it is the hardware that is having problems, it is the program.

Your issues may be due to an older graphics card that just does not have the power to handle the editing that is being done. Even though your system should easily handle the program according to system requirements that Adobe publishes the program may still not work well for the wide variety of older systems out there.

I really think you need to look elsewhere for your video editing needs, I think Premiere Elements 9 is broken and Adobe is not going to fix it enough to satisfy a majority of the users who have purchased it in the past.

I am talking as a reviewer of hardware and software that has received programs directly from Adobe for reviewing including Preimere Elements 8 and 9 along with Creative Suite 5 Master Collection.