8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2011 11:51 AM by Zolotoj

Spark DataGrid and custom combobox

Zolotoj Level 3

I am trying to

have a column with a dropdownlist. I am setting up an ItemRenderer at the run time.

var PersonnelPerson:ClassFactory = new ClassFactory(sparkComboRendererDataGrid);

PersonnelPerson.properties = {labelField : "person", dataProvider : XMLListCollection(dataList.consistcrew)};

dataList.consistcrew as following:

<consistcrew>
              <person>Conductor</person>
              <id>1</id>
          </consistcrew>
          <consistcrew>
              <person>Engineer</person>
              <id>2</id>
          </consistcrew>
          <consistcrew>
              <person>Helper</person>
              <id>3</id>
          </consistcrew>

and a fragment of sparkComboRendererDataGrid:

import mx.controls.listClasses.BaseListData;
          import mx.controls.listClasses.IDropInListItemRenderer;

import spark.components.ComboBox;

public class sparkComboRendererDataGrid extends ComboBox implements IDropInListItemRenderer
          {
              public function sparkComboRendererDataGrid()
              {
                  super();
              }

public function get listData():BaseListData
              {
                  return null;
              }

public function set listData(value:BaseListData):void
              {
              }

}

I am getting an error:

Error #1034: Type Coercion failed: cannot convert XMLList@b5068e1 to mx.collections.XMLListCollection

Please help.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Spark DataGrid and custom combobox
          Gregory Lafrance Level 6

Try this:

PersonnelPerson.properties = {labelField : "person", dataProvider : new XMLListCollection(dataList.consistcrew)};

If this post answers your question or helps, please mark it as such. Thanks!

http://www.stardustsystems.com
          Adobe Flex Development and Support Services

• 2. Re: Spark DataGrid and custom combobox
            Zolotoj Level 3

It worked, but now I am getting the folowing:

Error: Required skin part openButton cannot be found.
                atspark.components.supportClasses::SkinnableComponent/findSkinParts()[E:\dev\hero_private _beta\frameworks\projects\spark\src\spark\components\supportClasses\SkinnableComponent.as: 671]
                atspark.components.supportClasses::SkinnableComponent/attachSkin()[E:\dev\hero_private_be ta\frameworks\projects\spark\src\spark\components\supportClasses\SkinnableComponent.as:646 ]
                atspark.components.supportClasses::SkinnableComponent/validateSkinChange()[E:\dev\hero_pr ivate_beta\frameworks\projects\spark\src\spark\components\supportClasses\SkinnableComponen t.as:406]
                atspark.components.supportClasses::SkinnableComponent/commitProperties()[E:\dev\hero_priv ate_beta\frameworks\projects\spark\src\spark\components\supportClasses\SkinnableComponent. as:420]
                atspark.components.supportClasses::ListBase/commitProperties()[E:\dev\hero_private_beta\f rameworks\projects\spark\src\spark\components\supportClasses\ListBase.as:808]
                atspark.components::List/commitProperties()[E:\dev\hero_private_beta\frameworks\projects\ spark\src\spark\components\List.as:954]
                atspark.components.supportClasses::DropDownListBase/commitProperties()[E:\dev\hero_privat e_beta\frameworks\projects\spark\src\spark\components\supportClasses\DropDownListBase.as:5 04]
                atspark.components::ComboBox/commitProperties()[E:\dev\hero_private_beta\frameworks\proje cts\spark\src\spark\components\ComboBox.as:644]
                atmx.core::UIComponent/validateProperties()[E:\dev\hero_private_beta\frameworks\projects\ framework\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:8095]
                atmx.managers::LayoutManager/validateClient()[E:\dev\hero_private_beta\frameworks\project s\framework\src\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:934]
                atmx.core::UIComponent/validateNow()[E:\dev\hero_private_beta\frameworks\projects\framewo rk\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:7953]
                atspark.components.supportClasses::GridLayout/layoutItemRenderer()[E:\dev\hero_private_be ta\frameworks\projects\spark\src\spark\components\supportClasses\GridLayout.as:1808]
                atspark.components.supportClasses::GridLayout/createTypicalItemRenderer()[E:\dev\hero_pri vate_beta\frameworks\projects\spark\src\spark\components\supportClasses\GridLayout.as:460]
                atspark.components.supportClasses::GridLayout/updateTypicalCellSizes()[E:\dev\hero_privat e_beta\frameworks\projects\spark\src\spark\components\supportClasses\GridLayout.as:514]
                atspark.components.supportClasses::GridLayout/layoutColumns()[E:\dev\hero_private_beta\fr ameworks\projects\spark\src\spark\components\supportClasses\GridLayout.as:570]
                atspark.components.supportClasses::GridLayout/measure()[E:\dev\hero_private_beta\framewor ks\projects\spark\src\spark\components\supportClasses\GridLayout.as:230]
                atspark.components.supportClasses::GroupBase/measure()[E:\dev\hero_private_beta\framework s\projects\spark\src\spark\components\supportClasses\GroupBase.as:1109]
                atmx.core::UIComponent/measureSizes()[E:\dev\hero_private_beta\frameworks\projects\framew ork\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:8383]
                atmx.core::UIComponent/validateSize()[E:\dev\hero_private_beta\frameworks\projects\framew ork\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:8307]
                atspark.components::Group/validateSize()[E:\dev\hero_private_beta\frameworks\projects\spa rk\src\spark\components\Group.as:956]
                atmx.managers::LayoutManager/validateSize()[E:\dev\hero_private_beta\frameworks\projects\ framework\src\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:659]
                atmx.managers::LayoutManager/doPhasedInstantiation()[E:\dev\hero_private_beta\frameworks\ projects\framework\src\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:793]
                atmx.managers::LayoutManager/doPhasedInstantiationCallback()[E:\dev\hero_private_beta\fra meworks\projects\framework\src\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:1157]

Any idea?

• 3. Re: Spark DataGrid and custom combobox
              Gregory Lafrance Level 6

Does your renderer sparkComboRendererDataGrid implement the openButton skin part?

It is the skin part that defines the anchor button.

See this link for an example of skinning the Flex 4 ComboBox:

http://flex4fun.com/2010/11/30/flex4-combobox-with-icon/

• 4. Re: Spark DataGrid and custom combobox
                Zolotoj Level 3

No, it does not. The code is shown in the original post. Should I implement the openButton skin part?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Spark DataGrid and custom combobox
                  Gregory Lafrance Level 6

I think custom skins must implement all required skin parts.

• 6. Re: Spark DataGrid and custom combobox
                    Zolotoj Level 3

But I am not doing any custon skin. I am confused by what's a minimum of code to have in order to create a custom combobox for dataGrid's column.

• 7. Re: Spark DataGrid and custom combobox
                      Gregory Lafrance Level 6

Hmmm... Not sure about this new error. Might want to start a new post so the title attracts people who can respond better.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Spark DataGrid and custom combobox
                        Zolotoj Level 3

I got it working and proceeding with functional development. Particularly, I need to populate Grid's dataProvider with the selected from the dropdown value. In my previous projects I was using somehting like this:

private function onDataChange(event:Event):void
                                  {

// set selected value back to DataGrid
                                       DataGrid(listData.owner).selectedItem[DataGrid(listData.owner).columns[listData.columnIndex].dataField] = 
                                       event.target.selectedItem[DataGrid(listData.owner).columns[listData.columnIndex].dataField];
                                  }

But now it complaines that listData is null. I have checked:

public function set listData(value:BaseListData):void
                                  {
                                       trace("ListData: " + value);
                                       _listData = value;
                                  }

and I dont see any tracking. Could you please help me to understand why the setter is not called?

Thanks