2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2007 8:56 PM by abeall

Lost layers in a PNG - grr!

TrentSC
      I've just been a complete arse (not a great surprise to those who know me, but there you go).

Created a page design mock-up in FW8, saved it (with layers) as a PNG, then went to print it out for the client and rotated it through 90° with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer without realising that when I opened it again in FW, it was just a single layer, one bitmap.

Is there any way I might be able to get all the layers back, or am I stuffed? Everything I've tried so far has failed (desperate right-clicking & checking the options, crying, etc).

Cheers.
        • 1. Re: Lost layers in a PNG - grr!
          Level 7
          If you did not have a previous backup, not much to do except recreate
          the png in FW.

I have backup software that saves a copy of any file in certain
          directories to a network drive. And saves 6 copies of the same file.
          Learned to do this the hard way. :)

alex

TrentSC wrote:
          > I've just been a complete arse (not a great surprise to those who know me, but
          > there you go).
          >
          > Created a page design mock-up in FW8, saved it (with layers) as a PNG, then
          > went to print it out for the client and rotated it through 90? with Windows
          > Picture and Fax Viewer without realising that when I opened it again in FW, it
          > was just a single layer, one bitmap.
          >
          > Is there any way I might be able to get all the layers back, or am I stuffed?
          > Everything I've tried so far has failed (desperate right-clicking & checking
          > the options, crying, etc).
          >
          > Cheers.
          >
          • 2. Re: Lost layers in a PNG - grr!
            abeall Level 3
            I feel your pain! I did the same thing once(at least). It's extremely annoying that Windows Picture and Fax Viewer has the audacity to modify the actual image without warning. What rubbish! Especially considering the specs for the PNG format say that if the PNG contains unrecognized ancillary data, it should not be modified -- yet Windows ignores this standard(big surprise, eh?) and just trashes it all.

Hopefully, you've learned your lesson(the hard way, like me) and this won't happen again. Honestly I avoid rotating anything in Windows Picture and Fax viewer for any file because I don't like the fact it automatically saves over the original!