3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2011 10:29 AM by Jay Knobbe

"F6" install from Flash Drive problem

Jay Knobbe Level 1

Good Morning everyone,

So last night I wanted to do the "F6" Windows 7 install to install the ICH10R Raid drivers that i put on my flash drive. The window that opened show many "removable discs" e,f,g,h, etc but none of them was the one with my flash drive plugged in so I moved the flash drive to different USB ports to no avail. The flash drive illuminates but that's it.

I double checked the bios and all the USB stuff is enabled. I set the "A" drive at "none" since I don't have a floppy drive.

What did I do wrong?

Also I intended to do the hack to prevent the 100mb partition from creating but couldn't quite understand what I was trying to accomplish. I read it step by step but it appears as though I am creating a partition, not deleting one. Can someone enlighten me?

One last thing...

When we say NO PARTITIONS, are we talking about every drive except the OS drive? Doesn't the OS drive create a partion for the OS software?

Just trying to get a better understanding of what I am doing.

Thank you

• 1. Re: "F6" install from Flash Drive problem
          Colin Brougham Level 6

So last night I wanted to do the "F6" Windows 7 install to install the ICH10R Raid drivers that i put on my flash drive.

Why? You only need to do that if you're installing Windows on your RAID. You're not doing that, right?

When we say NO PARTITIONS, are we talking about every drive except the OS drive? Doesn't the OS drive create a partion for the OS software?

Every drive needs ONE partition; this is the default. You can't do anything with a drive unless it has some sort of partitioning. When installing Windows the necessary primary partition will be created. Later, in Windows, you create partitions (preferably, only one for each physical disk or volume) for your uninitialized/unformatted drives.

• 2. Re: "F6" install from Flash Drive problem
            Jay Knobbe Level 1

NOT installing Windows on my raid so thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll just load windows then. I set up two Raid 0 volumnes previously.

Thanks for the partition info

Is the hack to elimanate the 100mb partition worth the hassle?

• 3. Re: "F6" install from Flash Drive problem
              Harm Millaard Level 7

No, since it is not accessed in a normal situation.

1 person found this helpful