14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2011 8:01 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 9 not loading the workkspace or projects

Frank Hough1

Hi, I am new to the forum.

Have recently pruchased Premiere Elements 9 along with Photoshop Elements 9 and installed. PE9 works perfectly. Premiere Elements worked once but since then will not load the Workspace or a Project. Have uninstalled and re-installed in various modes as suggested by Adobe Support to no avail. Have downloaded the Trial Version also and this also will not load a workspace. Have 2 conmputers, a Desktop and a Laptop and as far as I am aware they are both up to date but perhaps I am not computer literate enough to know.  Adobe Support suggest I try the forum so perhaps they are as confused as I am. Any help out there.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 not loading the workkspace or projects
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Frank,

Welcome to the forum.

Let's start with a few questions. We need more info to begin. This ARTICLE will tell you what is very important. Especially, the computer and OS details would be greatly appreciated. As it does not appear that you have been able to get to the point of Importing/Capturing AV footage, or even setting up a New Project, I think that we can skip the areas, that ask about Assets and Project Presets, at least for now.

While you're gathering up the info on the computers, here is a general checklist for some common solutions (many assume that you are on a PC):

• Update the audio and video drivers from the mfgr's. Web site - do not trust Windows Update to identify your drivers as current.
          • Install all Windows updates, including all non-critical updates and hot-fixes
          • Check that you have the latest version of Apple's QuickTime Player
          • Hold down Ctrl+Shift+Alt, then launch the program, while holding those keys down, until the program has launched fully. This clears out any Preferences files, and regenerates new ones, set to factory default

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Also look on the Toolbar for Window and from the drop-down, choose Restore Workspace, to see if that gets your default Workspace back.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 not loading the workkspace or projects
            Frank Hough1 Level 1

Thanks Bill

Will gather the details and come back

Frank

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 not loading the workkspace or projects
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Frank,

That would be greatly appreciated, and I hope that someone will spot the issue, and can make suggestions on fixing things quickly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 not loading the workkspace or projects
                Frank Hough1 Level 1

Hi Bill

You asked for details of my computer and OS.

My computer is a Laptop

HP Pavilion zd8000series

Microsoft XP Home Edition

Version 2000

Service Pack 3

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz

2.99GHZ 1.00GB of Ram

ATI Graphics - Mobility Radeon X600 128mb

I went on to the ATI webpage and downloaded -  ATI\support\10-02_legacy_xp32-64_dd_ccc when I tried to install the following message came up "Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system".

Windows updates are up to date.

Apple's Quick Time Player id also up to date

Also tried launching whilst holding down Ctrl+Shift+Alt -  no change to problem

Also went to task bar and 'Restore Windows' is greyed out

Frank

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 not loading the workkspace or projects
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

1 gig of RAM is pretty light for video editing. I'd recommend at least 2 gigs.

Meantime, how much free, freshly defragmented space is on your hard drive? (You'll need at least 20-30 gigs of free space, over and above the space you'll need for your actual video files.)

When was the last time you cleaned off your spyware and temp files?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=30

Have you ensured, as I recommend in my books, that you are using either Avast! or Microsoft Security Essentials anti-virus and NOT Norton or McAfee.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 not loading the workkspace or projects
                    Frank Hough1 Level 1

I defragmented before the installation.

My C: drive is 93.1 GB Total with only 15.3 GB free

I keep all my video files on my external G: Drive which is 698 GB Total with 535 GB free.

I am currently using Premeire Elements 3 and this works quite happily. Does it look like I need to upgrade my computer for Premiere Elements 9 ?

I am using McAfee.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 not loading the workkspace or projects
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You definitely need to clear off at least 10 more gigabytes of space on your C drive and then clean and defrag the drive before the program will even open.

As for your external drive, make sure it's formatted to NTFS (not FAT32, as they are from the factory) and remember to save your new Premiere Elements projects into a folder rather than in the main directory on the drive and you should be fine.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9 not loading the workkspace or projects
                        Frank Hough1 Level 1

Have tried and there is no way that I can gain 10GB of extra space. My external drive is also formatted to NTFS

Looks like I will have to wait until I get a new computer. Many thanks for trying to help

Frank

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 9 not loading the workkspace or projects
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Frank,

I do not recall if you have a laptop, or desktop computer, but if the latter, adding another, physical HDD (Hard Disk Drive) is quite easy, and inexpensive.

With SATA HDD's, when one gets to about 70% of capacity, they begin to slow down. At 90%, the slowdown is quite noticeable, regarding the I/O performance. Near 100%, drive failure is common.

The general recommended amount of defragmented free space is 20 - 30 GB, and I recommend around 40 - 60 GB, to allow the drive some headroom to work with the large working files, necessary in video-editing. This is above the Video Assets, and the output AV files.

An external HDD is very useful when editing, but some considerations must be made. A USB external is good for archiving, but little else. That connection is very slow, and many users also experience read/write errors, when trying to edit to/from those. In severe cases, this has resulted in the total loss of all data on those USB externals. FW-400 is more stable, albeit still very slow. FW-800 has worked very well for me, and eSATA is even better, providing real-world performance akin to internal SATA HDD's.

If editing to/from the FireWire, or eSATA external, one should set its drive letter permanently in the OS of the computer, so that it always appears as the same drive letter.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 9 not loading the workkspace or projects
                            Frank Hough1 Level 1

Bill

Many thanks for your advice over the last few days.

I use both a Laptop and a Desktop, but all my video editing is done on my

Laptop. This allows me to take my projects with me when at my Caravan or to

the video club that I am a member of.

The problem appears to be that on my Laptop my HDD capacity is only 100GB

and my free space is only 15GB even without installing Premiere Elements 9.

All my files are stored on my external HDD and its drive letter is set at G:

Itr's capacity is 700GB with currently 522GB free space. I delete all files

after completing a project and defragment

I also wanted to instal Premiere Elements 9 on my desktop but the HDD

Capacity on C: Drive is only 60GB with 14 GB free space and on the D: drive

again it is only 60GB with free space of 44GB.

I think your advice suggests that I need new computers?

Regards

Frank

Frank,

I do not recall if you have a laptop, or desktop computer, but if the

latter, adding another, physical HDD (Hard Disk Drive) is quite easy, and

inexpensive.

With SATA HDD's, when one gets to about 70% of capacity, they begin to slow

down. At 90%, the slowdown is quite noticeable, regarding the I/O

performance. Near 100%, drive failure is common.

The general recommended amount of defragmented free space is 20 - 30 GB, and

I recommend around 40 - 60 GB, to allow the drive some headroom to work with

the large working files, necessary in video-editing. This is above the Video

Assets, and the output AV files.

An external HDD is very useful when editing, but some considerations must be

made. A USB external is good for archiving, but little else. That connection

is very slow, and many users also experience read/write errors, when trying

to edit to/from those. In severe cases, this has resulted in the total loss

of all data on those USB externals. FW-400 is more stable, albeit still very

slow. FW-800 has worked very well for me, and eSATA is even better,

providing real-world performance akin to internal SATA HDD's.

If editing to/from the FireWire, or eSATA external, one should set its drive

letter permanently in the OS of the computer, so that it always appears as

the same drive letter.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 9 not loading the workkspace or projects
                              nealeh Level 5

Frank Hough1 wrote:

I also wanted to instal Premiere Elements 9 on my desktop but the HDD

Capacity on C: Drive is only 60GB with 14 GB free space and on the D: drive

again it is only 60GB with free space of 44GB.

Sounds to me as though that might be one hard disk with two partitions. You could use a non-destructive partitioning tool to combine the partitions so that all the free space is available. This will give a single drive C: of 120GB. If however you have applications installed to D: then you will have to reinstall them to C:.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 9 not loading the workkspace or projects
                                jeffgedgaud Level 1

On your desktop it would not be that hard to install a new disk internally as long as you have an ide or sata cable location for it. Installing internal drives is a bit difficult if you have never worked inside a computer.With both your laptop and desktop both being effectively at their maximum capacity you really should think about getting a new drive on both or even a new system. If you have the monmey you may want to get a new system and try your luck with a new computer and Premiere Elements.

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 9 not loading the workkspace or projects
                                  PRE_help Adobe Employee

Please try the steps mentioned and use the file attached in this post and let me know if it solves your issue.

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 9 not loading the workkspace or projects
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree completely. HDD (Hard Disk Drive) real estate is so very important, especially when doing Video editing.

Depending on the controller type (IDE and SATA mentioned above), large, fast HDD's are so very inexpensive nowadays. Fry's, a Western US retailer, has been running specials on 1.5TB internal 7200 RPM, ATA 300's at US$79.00 with the installation kit.

The laptop, however presents a bit of a problem. Most laptop cases do not have space for additional HDD's, so the general course of action is to replace a smaller internal with one of a larger capacity, and move everything over to it. There are many considerations in doing this, starting with the form-factor of the physical disk and then the controller type.

One option, that might be available is to add an eSATA controller (possibly as an ExpressCard on the laptop, and as a PCI card on the desktop), and then use an eSATA external, or several. This will give one almost the real-world equivalent of an internal SATA disk. One thing to check would be whether the BIOS of each computer can work with eSATA. Even if one added, say a 2TB eSATA, they would still want to clean up the C:\, to give the OS and programs room to work, and to drop the "fill-level" of the disk down to below about 70%.

Good luck, and I would certainly explore methods of getting more HDD real estate and also freeing up more space on your C:\ drives.

Hunt