7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2011 6:22 PM by jlinbu

Pre 9 crashes while importing.

jlinbu

I've imported numerous different files into pre 9 and they all worked until today. Now it randomly crashes every time I try to import video. I am trying to import AVCHD footage. I have the raw footage as well as converted to .avi. They both playback perfectly, but adobe crashes every time I import.Capture1.JPG

This error message now comes up for any clip I import.

Win 7

Intel core i5 2.53 ghz x2

4GB ram

350 GB free HD space

128 MB intel HD graphics

• 1. Re: Pre 9 crashes while importing.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Perhaps this ARTICLE will be useful for setting up your computer for an editing session. Be sure to see the link to Black Viper's Win7 Tune Up Tips. Also, there are several good FAQ Entries, found on the right-hand side of the main forum page, concerning tuning up one's computer.

Also, is your OS Win7-32, or Win7-64?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Pre 9 crashes while importing.
            jlinbu Level 1

I have the 64 bit version of Windows 7. I never had any problems with editing or the speed of my computer. Considering my pc is only about a month old I don't think a tune up will help. Clearly the problem is an issue with importing, since I can still edit without any difficulty on what I already have imported. I haven't had this problem until today when I first tried importing the AVCHD footage. All of the videos will playback in Windows Media Player, and edit in Movie Maker (Live Essentials). I ran the clips through Movie Maker to .wmv, that won't import. Then I ran it through my old pre 4 and exported it as .avi. They both appear to import in pre9 then it immediately crashes.

Thank for responding quickly, I hope this post points you in the right direction.

• 3. Re: Pre 9 crashes while importing.
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Did you purchase the computer from a company, or did you have it build specifically for you by a shop?

First, a computer from Dell, Gateway, HP, et al, will likely have tons of bloatware, that gets in the way. Also, few companies will tune the OS, and everyone gets all features turned ON.

The audio & video drivers are also probably way out of date, as the install disks were probably written months ago. Likely that those will need updating.

With Win7-64, 4GB of RAM is just about what it takes to run the OS. When one tries to use programs, like PrE, there is not much left for the program. I am surprised that you do not have at least 12GB of RAM.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Pre 9 crashes while importing.
                jlinbu Level 1

I purchased this computer at Office max and I don't plan on upgrading it (even though I might need it). My computer is an Acer and actually seems to have very little bloatware. I recently updated my drivers and haven't had any problems with compatibility until now. I have created various home videos on my laptop recently and none seemed slow (to me). I have all of the updates for pre9. I have reasonable experience with editing and computers and in my opinion this isn't an issue of my laptop being too slow. It appears to be a glitch with either adobe or the video file itself. If there is a backdoor way of importing video or some setting I can change? I know there probably isn't, but I need to replace a few old clips with these new ones in my video and an editor other than pre isn't going to cut it.

Also, is there a way to save in "compatibility mode" for pre4, which works perfectly?

• 5. Re: Pre 9 crashes while importing.
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, some really like CineForm NeoScene for working with AVCHD material, that chokes their computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Pre 9 crashes while importing.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, some users feel that CyberLink's PowerDirector and Magix MovieEdit Pro require less power to work. Have not heard of the resources load from Sony Vegas, but it gets high marks too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Pre 9 crashes while importing.
                      jlinbu Level 1

Thanks again for your help. I just decided to export and return to my pre 4

for this video. I hope a clean install of pre 9 will fix the errors.