4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2011 2:49 PM by BK_POHS

Math ALT Codes in RichTextEditor

BK_POHS Level 1

I have been using the RichTextEditor and Spanish symbols all seem to work just fine out of the box, like ALT+168 for the upside down ? etc. However, I'm having issues with several math symbols.  Is there a way to enable these alt codes in the RTE somehow?

A few of the symbols I need are:

ALT+232 for the Greek Symbol Phi

ALT+233 for the Greek Symbol Theta

ALT+236 for the Infinity Symbol

ALT+242 for Greater than or Equal to Symbol

ALT+243 for Less than or Equal to Symbol.

Anyone out there had any experience with this or have any ideas on how to implement these shortcuts within the RTE?

Thanks,

Brian

• 1. Re: Math ALT Codes in RichTextEditor
          drkstr_1 Level 4

You can use the HTML character code.

http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/characterentities_famsupp_69.html

for example:

<s:Label text="Copyright &#169" />
          • 2. Re: Math ALT Codes in RichTextEditor
            BK_POHS Level 1

Not really the solution I need.  What I'm looking for is basically the same usability you would get from any

text editor, where a user can be typing/writing out something then whenever they need a special character, just hit ALT+#### and it

will insert the correct symbol.  Asking users to somehow throw in HTML text won't work b/c most of our user base doesn't know HTML.

Thanks though 

• 3. Re: Math ALT Codes in RichTextEditor
              drkstr_1 Level 4

Have you confirmed if the issue is a character encoding issue, or an issue with the short cut keys?

If the character can be displayed, you can always listen for the key presses and insert the character when a matching combo is entered.

• 4. Re: Math ALT Codes in RichTextEditor
                BK_POHS Level 1

Its not an encoding issue, because any of these symbols can be cut and pasted in from word and they all display perfectly fine.

I figured we could do listeners in the worst case scenario but I figured I'd hit the forums first, because there are certain ranges that do work w/ the ALT codes, such as Spanish characters.  In my mind I guess I thought if some ALT codes work, maybe there's a way to make others work as well.  So I thought I'd see if someone out there knew how to work some of that magic.  I know there are a bunch of knowledgeable people on these forums, as well as Adobe Employees that frequent so I was hoping for some good luck I suppose 

Message was edited by: BK_POHS