7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2011 4:31 PM by HarryPutnam

Egad what have I done now and can't `undo'

HarryPutnam Level 1

I've managed to hit some combination of keys of some button in the middle of a deadlined project that has completely derailed this part of it.

I'm attached a 2 screen grabs of what I see.  It seem to be some kind of selection or masking or I know not what, tool that I can't get rid of and its hiding the work I want to stay busy with.

Ctrl-z does not shake.   Reset of workspace no  I don't really want top restart and loose my undo index which still appears to work even though it won't shed me of this tool.

Comp window:

WhatDidIDoCompWindow.jpg

Head of timeline:

WhatDidIDoTimeline.jpg

Can anyone guess what I've done by the two screen grabs, one of the compsition window and one of the head of timeline

• 1. Re: Egad what have I done now and can't `undo'
          HarryPutnam Level 1

HarryPutnam wrote:

I've managed to hit some combination of keys of some button in the middle of a deadlined project that has completely derailed this part of it.

Turned out to be a Gilda Radner Moment.... and no need to panic... I apparently hit `pre-comp' but failed to see its layer in the timeline.

Even then though, shouldn't an undo have gotten rid of it?

• 2. Re: Egad what have I done now and can't `undo'
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you inadvertently created a Precomp then, yes, Undo should reverse it, presuming you realised before the Undo buffer advanced beyond that step.

Other things you may or may not need to know:  your previews are set to wireframe mode, and you have shy layers hidden, meaning you may have layers that are currently not visible on the timeline.

• 3. Re: Egad what have I done now and can't `undo'
              HarryPutnam Level 1

HarryPutnam wrote:

HarryPutnam wrote:

Turned out to be a Gilda Radner Moment.... and no need to panic... I apparently hit `pre-comp' but failed to see its layer in the timeline.

Even then though, shouldn't an undo have gotten rid of it?

Forgot to mention that I'm running trial CS5

I guess I waited to long to still be able to edit my report above..   But it is dead wrong.

I shot my mouth off too early.  Once I noticed a `pre-comp' layer, and since I'm unfamiliar with `pre-comp'  but knew I didn't put it there on purpose, I assumed it was the problem  NOT

After deleting the precomp I still have some kind of tool completly hiding the work I want to do,  so renewing my plea for help hoping someone will be able to recognize what I've done and know how to back it out.

• 5. Re: Egad what have I done now and can't `undo'
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                > ...and since I'm unfamiliar with `pre-comp'...

If you're unfamiliar with precompositions, you really need to take a step back and go through the basic learning materials. Trust me: You'll have much less frustration if you begin at the beginning instead of diving into the middle.

• 6. Re: Egad what have I done now and can't `undo'
                  HarryPutnam Level 1

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

You've turned on the region of interest.

I did notice that the `Region of Interest' button turned the frame thing off, but still something is blocking a dozen layers.

I do know about the `Killroy' `shy' button and had those layers killroyed on purpose.  Un-shying them make no difference.

Turning the Region of interest off, makes no difference other than turning off the selection part.

I assumed that thing was what was blocking but apparently it is not either.  So still stumbling around trying to see what I've done, and may have to redo this stuff ... yuck.

Far as going to the basics... I agree, but you are talking days and weeks, when I have a projects due very soon.

• 7. Re: Egad what have I done now and can't `undo'
                    HarryPutnam Level 1

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

You've turned on the region of interest.

That finally helped me get straightened out... Thanks.

Turning it off, at first didn't appear to be all that was wrong.

Finally turning it off and walking the undos to the limit  (The very last one did the job) got things back to where I could see how to proceed and didn' loose too much in the bargain.

Thanks again