5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2011 3:34 AM by Jhon Carlo

What do we need to do to make Adobe to organize scripting dictionary?

srihards

As the title says. I got so mad today browsing the scripting dictionary that I just need to shout this out.

The scripting dictionary, if you can call it so cause i can't, just sucks. Well I know it's nothing new, it's been like that for more than a 1 year now..

How are we supposed to do our work, make new stuff when the scripting dictionary is just a huge list of property and method names. No categories. Nothing.

Does Adobe Director team even pays attention to this or anything else what's going on with Director and it's future? As far I noticed, no, they don't.

What do you think guys, maybe we can make our own scripting dictionary? Which would be well organized and available for everyone?

Best,

Rihards

• 1. Re: What do we need to do to make Adobe to organize scripting dictionary?
          James Newton, ACP Level 3

All you need to do is wait a little while. Adobe is actively working on revised Director documentation. A first wave of changes is almost ready for release. This consists of over 500 pages of new content and over 100 new demo movies. There is also a good chance that the Scripting Dictionary will be reorganised into two sections, one alphabetical, one a categorised list of scripting terms by feature.

Updates to the remaining sections of the documentation are at a planning stage.

maybe we can make our own scripting dictionary?

You know what? Maybe you can. That's one of the things that I believe Adobe is working on. The information that I have is that Adobe is definitely paying attention to this aspect of Director.

In the meantime, what features are you currently working with?  Perhaps I could help you find some of the information that you need.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What do we need to do to make Adobe to organize scripting dictionary?
            srihards Level 1

Thank you for your reply.I thought this question will stay empty like forever.

I really hope they do come up with new version of the scripting dictionary, really.

At the moment of writing this I was working with strings, I wanted to find all methods for strings and as well properties to see what Lingo offers me, as I've a little mess in my head after working long time with Action Script, and to understand what I can do with strings and what i can't.

• 3. Re: What do we need to do to make Adobe to organize scripting dictionary?
              James Newton, ACP Level 3

Here's a list of scripting terms that you can use with strings.  I don't claim that it is exhaustive.

& (concatenator)

&& (concatenator)

char...of

chars()

chunk.char.count

chunk.char[x..y]

chunk.item.count

chunk.item[x..y]

chunk.line.count

chunk.line[x..y]

chunk.word.count

chunk.word[x..y]

contains

delete

EMPTY

hilite (cast member property)

item...of

itemDelimiter

last()

length()

line...of

number (characters)

number (items)

number (lines)

number (words)

offset() (string function)

paragraph

put...after text

put...before

put...into

ref

selectedText

selection (text cast member property)

selEnd (fields only)

selStart (fields only)

SPACE

string()

stringP()

TAB

value()

word...of

• 4. Re: What do we need to do to make Adobe to organize scripting dictionary?
                srihards Level 1

Uhh, thank you so much for this.

You really made my day!

• 5. Re: What do we need to do to make Adobe to organize scripting dictionary?
                  Jhon Carlo Level 1

Hello Openspark,

I am very happy to hear this news !!!!!!!
                  The news is just about documentation or even an up grade of Director?
                  If yes, there is a channel where the users can suggest/submit requests to insert changes in future editions?
                  Often I think for example if Director would do this or that ...
                  At this moment, for example, I'm think why Director can't do not like all the word processor: "ctrl + right arrow" to move one word? Or use the "Most Recently Used (MRU) folder" when you import a cast or open a file. Etc. etc.. etc. ....
                  Some time there  a place on this forum to do this, now it seems no longer possible.

Thanks.