13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2011 8:38 AM by the_wine_snob

Sound from soundtrack only!

84uc

Hello,

I've been trying to make a movie in Adobe Premiere Elements 8 using my video clips. I want to basically have the audio from the clips muted and only the sound from the soundtrack playing over the video clips. I tried lowering the volume for each clip individually in the properties (for 22 clips!!!) and it worked in the project file but when I saved it as a mpeg quick share and viewed it in windows media player there was no sound at all. What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Sound from soundtrack only!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, the lowering of the volume should have gotten you what you want.

Instead, I would go to Window>Audio Mixer and just Mute the Audio Track there. Then, I would move your music to another, free Audio Track, away from Soundtrack. Some users have had some odd experiences with either the Soundtrack, or the Narration Track. Any free Audio Track will work.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Sound from soundtrack only!
            84uc Level 1

Thank you so much! It worked (sort of!) My problem now is that the audio dies on the clip where I added a "thinking bubble" clipart using the motion tracking mode. It actually dies off exactly when the bubble appears. What would you advise I do or check? Thanks!

• 3. Re: Sound from soundtrack only!
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What do you mean by "dies off"? Aren't you trying to mute your audio?

BTW, in addition to Hunt's suggestion, you can just right-click on the clip(s) on your timeline and select the option to remove the audio completely.

• 4. Re: Sound from soundtrack only!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I, too, am a bit lost.

Can you post a screen-cap of your Timeline, showing the Video and Audio at the point that you are talking about? In the Audio Track Header, there is an icon to toggle the Keyframe Display. Toggle that to Clip Keyframes, so that we can see exactly what is happening there. We might ask for other screen-caps, but let's look at that one first.

Good luck, and thanks for the screen-cap,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Sound from soundtrack only!
                  84uc Level 1

Thank you both for your time. Okay I'll post the screen cap but to clarify what I meant was that I was successful in muting audio 1 and having my soundtrack play in audio 2 for most of the movie. However when the clip with the clipart ( with motion tracking ) came up, audio 2 (my soundtrack) died for the remainder of the movie. Note: my audio 2 (soundtrack) works in the prject file for the whole movie but dissappears on the clipart clip in the quickshare mpeg. Thanks for your input and advice!

• 6. Re: Sound from soundtrack only!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

There are basically two ways to adjust the Volume of an Audio Clip, or Track *, and they are basically Keyframes, though Keyframes with a difference.

First, one could add Volume Keyframes, either on the Clip, or with the Effects Control Panel. Even if one does a Click+drag on the Volume "rubberband" (the orange Volume line in the Clip), they are basically adding Keyframes. These Keyframed adjustments apply to the Clip only, and will follow that Clip, if it's moved. This is the most common way to adjust Volume.

Second, on can add Track Keyframes for Volume, and this is done with the Audio Mixer. These Keyframes will be applied to the Track, and NOT to the Clip. What this means is that if one adjusts the Volume of a Track, and then change the Clips on that Track, or their position, the Keyframes stay put, and will affect that portion of the Track, regardless of what is on that Track at that point. These Keyframes basically automate the sliders in the Audio Mixer, and when played back, one can see the sliders moving, per those Keyframes.

Now, the display of the Audio Keyframes is a toggle in the Audio Track Header. One can show Clip Keyframes, or Track Keyframes. I would suggest zooming in on the Timeline, toggling that display, and studying the Clip and Audio Track, to see if Keyframes have been added.

With the Track Keyframes, users have accidentally added those, not realizing that if they adjust the sliders in Audio Mixer, while the Timeline is playing, they are adding Track Keyframes. Many have accidentally adjusted the Volume with those Track Keyframes, and not realized it. As the Keyframe Display is most often set to Clip Keyframes, they do not even see them, unless they toggle that display, and look. Another "test" is to play the Timeline with the Audio Mixer open, and watch the sliders. Do they move up and down on their own? If so, there are Track Keyframes at those points. Take a close look for Track Keyframes, if there are no Clip Keyframes at that point. For those, look at the orange rubberband, and see if it is straight, and at the upper area of the Audio Clip.

Good luck,

Hunt

* One can also Rt-click on an Audio Clip and adjust the Gain. That is similar, but slightly different, than Volume.

Here is a look at Track Keyframes from PrPro 2.0. Your display will be different, as far as the GUI and Audio Track Headers, but the Track Keyframes will look the same, and that is what you might see, when you toggle the Keyframe Display:

Track_Keyframes_01.jpg

• 7. Re: Sound from soundtrack only!
                      84uc Level 1

problempoint.jpg

This is a shorter version of my movie. I'm not sure if this is all the info you need but this is the point in the clip where the audio 2 doesn't work anymore in the completed version. Thank you for your help!

• 8. Re: Sound from soundtrack only!
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not see anything wrong with Audio 2 Clip at that point. Which Keyframe Display was shown?

When you opened Audio Mixer, and played the Timeline around that point, did the sliders move?

Good luck, and maybe another will see something in the screen-cap, that I am missing.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Sound from soundtrack only!
                          84uc Level 1

Thanks so much for your valuable input Mr. Hunt! I actually figured out that no matter what effects I use all audio dissappears at 30 seconds in all my movies. :S Anyone know why? This may need to be another post so I'll repost if I get no replies.

I'm using windows media player to view my created movies (which I'm saving as mpegs). My Video clips are originally from my canon HD Vixia hfm31.

• 10. Re: Sound from soundtrack only!
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This usually happens because you started editing before your audio files were completely conformed.

When you add certain audio or video types to your project, they need to conform before you can use them. Try adding one and watch the progress in the lower right of the program's interface. See if waiting until they're fully conformed makes a difference.

• 11. Re: Sound from soundtrack only!
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Hm-m, had not considered that possibility. I assumed that the full Audio was at one time available. If that is it, then this ARTICLE might give some background.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Sound from soundtrack only!
                                84uc Level 1

Thank you both for your help. I found the solution to my problem in this forum- the guy was having the same problem:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:iS17U1XQxdkJ:www.elementsvillage.com/ forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D54185+audio+dissappears+at+30+seconds+in+adobe+elements&cd=3&h l=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

It turns out the problem was with Windows Media player. I played my videos with VLC media player and they worked perfectly! Thanks for your time!

• 13. Re: Sound from soundtrack only!
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and glad that you both isolated the problem and have posted a solution to it.

Thank you, and good luck,

Hunt