15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2011 10:38 PM by Maribeth R

Export, Media, = please describe the 25 options/uses in Premiere Pro CS5

Maribeth R Level 1

Please explain the possible applications of each of the following export formats found in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 Master Collection (Teacher & Student Edition)

UNDER *FILE *EXPORT *MEDIA

Audio Interchange File Format

Microsoft AVI

Windows Bitmap

DPX

Animated GIF

JPEG

MP3

P2 Movie

PNG

Quick Time = Vimeo uploads,

Targa

TIFF

Uncompressed Microsoft AVI

Windows Waveform

MPEG2 MXF

Audio Only

FLV/F4V

H.264

H.264 Blu-ray

MPEG4

MPEG2

MPEG2-DVD

MPEG2 Blu-ray

Windows Media

• 1. Re: Export, Media, = please describe the 25 options/uses in Premiere Pro CS5
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Start by saving the PDF to your hard drive and searching

CS5 User Guides - online and PDF
          http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/08/help-documents-for-creative-suite-5-pdf -and-html.html

Look in the upper right corner of each individual page for the PDF option

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Export, Media, = please describe the 25 options/uses in Premiere Pro CS5
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Actually, I'll turn this around and suggest that you should come into Premiere Pro knowing what kind of movie you need to deliver. Your client will have given you specifications; the online video site will have specifications; et cetera. Premiere Pro provides the ability to export to a large number of formats depending on your needs, but you need to know what your needs are.

If you don't know what you need to deliver for a specific purpose, feel free to ask here, and we can help. But asking folks on this forum to provide definitions for a bunch of standard formats and codecs is a bit unfair.

That said, you can search the Adobe Community Help for information about each of these. For example, here's a search for DPX that pulls up useful information. Or you can search Wikipedia.

• 3. Re: Export, Media, = please describe the 25 options/uses in Premiere Pro CS5
              Maribeth R Level 1

As I am re-entering this industry and trying to catch up on all the WONDERFUL developments of technology, I am trying to educate myself on what kind of "products"/"markets" I can deliver.  I am going to feel more confident knowing the different options that CS5 empowers me with so I can market myself better.  As I learn each of these end products I also wonder if other adjustments need to be made before the timeline is edited so I can have smooth workflow.

Yes, I agree with you.  I guess I am just thinking about this in a different direction.  As long as I know that this forum is here I should be able to tackle whatever comes my way.

I will be looking at the manual and online for now.  Thank you both for replying.  Just curious: How many different (formats/codecs) have you used? And in general is one format used for different applications or are they soley for a single application.  It is great that there are so many.  (I guess this is probably too much to put on here)

• 4. Re: Export, Media, = please describe the 25 options/uses in Premiere Pro CS5
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Here's an entry that I wrote for the After Effects FAQ list, regarding choosing output formats and settings:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/729526

The concepts and tactics are mostly the same for Premiere Pro.

• 5. Re: Export, Media, = please describe the 25 options/uses in Premiere Pro CS5
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

It would probably make more sense to categorize these export options based on their general application:

AUDIO

Audio Interchange File Format

Windows Waveform

Audio Only (AAC)

MP3

IMAGE (STILL OR SEQUENCE)

Windows Bitmap

Animated GIF

JPEG

DPX

PNG

Targa

TIFF

WEB/PC

Quick Time

FLV/F4V

H.264

Windows Media

DEVICE

Quick Time

H.264

MPEG4

Windows Media

OPTICAL DISC

H.264 Blu-ray

MPEG2-DVD

MPEG2 Blu-ray

INTERMEDIATE/ARCHIVAL/DELIVERY

P2 Movie

Microsoft AVI

Uncompressed Microsoft AVI

MPEG2 MXF

MPEG2

Those aren't necessarily hard and fast, but that's typically how each of those would be used. Some of them are capable of being used in multiple ways; some are better tuned for particular uses than others. As has been mentioned, often it is the client or the particular mode of delivery you need to use that will dictate which format to select.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Export, Media, = please describe the 25 options/uses in Premiere Pro CS5
                    Maribeth R Level 1

Excellent - great information guys! I love the links to write ups.

________________________________________________________________

preface: (This whole project was shot with Canon 5DM2 - I don't remember if the cameras were set at 24 or 30 fps )  so as i am learning about the export options i am also learning (the hard way) about the seq settings.

Right now on my current project (fashion show)  I have 9 designers that walked the runway, so i am creating 9 timelines in a project. for each designer/tl i will output (.mov)vimeo and facebook seg for each one. i have edited 4 designers so far and i think i have some issues and i need to learn more about seq settings and also output options.

I am also delivering a physical dvd.  I created a FINAL tl that i am dropping each (nested) designer segment onto.  when i created this tl i must have set it up as dv ntsc - (out of habit)-and i think that is the choice for going to physical dvd?not sure?.

the first 2 designers i set the seq settings at dv ntsc and they fit (nested ) on the "final" tl, ///however i think i had to resize all those  clips (I didn't know why they weren't right. - honestly i can't remember///

ANYWAYS,  Designers 3 and 4= i had set the seq settings at canon xf mpeg2 1080i/p

Should all the designers seg be set at canon xf mpeg2 1080i/p (i selected 1080p30) but i really don't know if it was 24 or 30 (is that information in clip info somewhere?)

Can I change a seq setting once the timeline is edited on? = please don't tell me i have to re=edit. yikes What should the correct settings be?

Is there a work around to put designers 1&2 (dv ntsc settings) on same tl with 3&4 (canon xf mpeg 1080p30) ?

Finally what setting should that final (NESTED FINAL timeline all designers) be? - for output to physical DVD ( JVC-Taiyo Yuden )  

• 7. Re: Export, Media, = please describe the 25 options/uses in Premiere Pro CS5
                      Maribeth R Level 1

Can I change a seq setting once the timeline is edited on?

What setting should that final (NESTED FINAL timeline /all designers) be? - for output to physical DVD

• 8. Re: Export, Media, = please describe the 25 options/uses in Premiere Pro CS5
                        Maribeth R Level 1

?? Is GIF used for

IMAGE (still or seq) - which I don't understand yet, if pp cs

5 creates timelines how or why does it export an image?

I have gotten my question asked about my export settings and I will choose MPEG2-DVD (I see that you put MPEG4 under devices) I am going to go to a physical DVD so I understand MPEG2-DVD is the best choice.

But what about my seq settings problems.  This is the first project that I am running thru this system and I already created the seq, can I change the settings.  If not can I still put the different tl on one tl and have it all come together ok?  Thank you so much.

• 9. Re: Export, Media, = please describe the 25 options/uses in Premiere Pro CS5
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

>?? Is GIF used for

IMAGE (still or seq) - which I don't understand yet, if pp cs

5 creates timelines how or why does it export an image?

To answer your "how" question, you could search Premiere Pro Help for 'export image'. That brings you to "Export a still image".

Regarding "why": A zillion reasons. The first two that spring to my mind are 1) to send something to your client to say "Is this where you want the titles? How about the color in the lower third?" and 2) to have a still (thumbnail image) to put on your website to represent the movie.

• 10. Re: Export, Media, = please describe the 25 options/uses in Premiere Pro CS5
                            Maribeth R Level 1

ok, so it just takes a still image of where ever the time indicator is (just like the quick export frame button ) very good, thank you.

do you know if it is possible to change the seq settings once a timeline is edited on?

• 11. Re: Export, Media, = please describe the 25 options/uses in Premiere Pro CS5
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

do you know if it is possible to change the seq settings once a timeline is edited on?

No; create a new sequence with your intended settings, copy from the original sequence, and paste into the new one.

• 12. Re: Export, Media, = please describe the 25 options/uses in Premiere Pro CS5
                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> do you know if it is possible to change the seq settings once a timeline is edited on?

Here are the first and third paragraphs of "Sequence presets and settings", which I found by searching for 'change sequence settings' in Premiere Pro Help:

"All sequence settings apply to the whole sequence, and most cannot be changed after a sequence is created."

"After you begin working in a sequence, you can review sequence settings, but you can change only a few of them. Choose Sequence > Sequence Settings to view the settings you can change."

• 13. Re: Export, Media, = please describe the 25 options/uses in Premiere Pro CS5
                                  Maribeth R Level 1

What would you do as a solution to my problem.  I made a mistake and edited on the wrong sequence settings.  so now i know that i can't change them.  i just created a new tl with correct settings and copy and pasted the edit from wrong tl to the correct one.  of course you know that the size is all screwed up now, i did a lot of cropping on some clips etc.

What would be the fasted way to re-edit/fix the size of all the clips.  Is there a way to replace the footage from the bin.  I see that option but it itsn't working. any advice - or else i just start ALL over

• 14. Re: Export, Media, = please describe the 25 options/uses in Premiere Pro CS5
                                    Maribeth R Level 1

i am going to try to just increase the scale to 200 in the clip after "revealing it" in the bin (some are nested mce tracks) = DIDN'T WORK. help...

• 15. Re: Export, Media, = please describe the 25 options/uses in Premiere Pro CS5
                                      Maribeth R Level 1

No; create a new sequence with your intended settings, copy from the original sequence, and paste into the new one.

@Collin: now the clip sizes/crops etc are all screwed up, recommend how to fix that? EDITED: i have to add that i created my final tl w/ the avchd seq settings dragged the nested seq on to it (they were all different sizes because i used dvntsc setting on one and canon on the other) anyways i right clicked on the nested clip and chose "scale to frame size" so now the images are the same size.  (they play fine in prog monitor, i hope the timing is ok for export to dvd! )